Eurovision Predictions - Semifinals First Night!

Lloenflys

"Certainty is an illusion ..."
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Lloenflys's Gavel is taking a break from its ... uh ... exhaustive legal coverage to focus for the next few days on the most remarkable cultural event of the year ... Eurovision!

On May 7, the first night of the Semifinals goes down, with 15 nations vying to get a place in Saturday's final. Three more countries (England, Germany, and Sweden) will be performing tomorrow night knowing that they are guaranteed a place in the Final. Having taken a listen to all 18 songs that will be played tomorrow, I've rated them as follows going into tomorrow's first semifinal:

1.) 9.5 out of 10 - Croatia (Rim Tim Tagi Dim by Baby Lasagna)

Rim Tim Tagi Dim is kitschy and funny whiel still being musically intersting and complex. The beat hits hard, and there is no other song in this competition that could benefit more from a high energy performance in the semifinal round. Easily a top five song and possible winner.

2.) 9 out of 10 - Ukraine (Teresa & Maria by alyona alyona & Jerry Heil)

This hits all the Eurovision boxes. Beautiful sound, big build, amazing Ukrainian rap that builds and integrates beautifully into the performance. Has the feel of a potential winner.

3.) 8 out of 10 - Poland (The Tower by Luna)

Strong pop entry but falls short of greatness due to a repetitive hook that doesn't ultimately lead anywhere beyond the obvious message. Very good, but unlikely a winning entry.

4.) 8 out of 10 - Luxembourg (The Fighter by Tani)

One of the better pop offerings with some catchy lyrics and soundscapes, but not going to rise to the top.

5.) 7.5 out of 10 - Ireland (Doomsday Blue by Bambie Thug)

Campy, kitschy performance that should do well, but doesn't entirely hold together.

X.) 7.5 ouf of 10 - United Kingdom (Dizzy by Olly Alexander)

Fairly standard pop but with a stronger, more memorable hook than some of the competition and should therefore do a little better. Automatic entry into the Finals so it is not ranked.

6.) 7.5 out of 10 - Finland (No Rules! by Windows95man)

This will probably do well because it is camp to the extreme and outwardly has a message (be yourself!) that many people will want to hear ... but the song isn't good enough to take the premise and the humor to deliver an overall win. A succesful run is likely, but it doesn't have the heft to go all the way.

7.) 7 out of 10 - Cyprus (Liar by Silia Kapsis)

Fairly standard pop song - not bad but nothing that sets it apart as truly special in this competition.

X.) 7 out of 10 - Sweden (Unforgettable by Marcus & Martinus)

It's ... fine? Similar to Liar, it's a pop song that doesn't go very far.

8.) 6.5 out of 10 - Slovenia (Veronika by Raiven)

Similar to Doomsday Blue in vibe, but doesn't hit the same heights lyrically or in terms of camp. Great for anyone who has ever dreamt of being seduced by a vampire - mid for anyone else.

9.) 6 out of 10 - Serbia (Ramonda by Teya Dora)

Overly reliant on a big bridge and some light show moments - ok, not great.

10.) 6 out of 10 - Lithuania (Luktelk by Silvester Belt)

Fails to rise to the occasion. Like Troye Sivan wearing a metallic nosepiece - never hits hard enough to do more than make you tap your foot in time to the beat.

X.) 6 out of 10 - Germany (Always on the Run by Isaak)

Solid lyrical wordplay and well executed performance give it a slight leg up on Iceland's entry, but it is ultimately forgetable pop that isn't going to break out in the competition.

11.) 6 out of 10 - Australia (One Mikali by Electric Fields)

For a song with a lot of energy, it's kind of boring. Some opportunities to belt and display some showmanship, but nothing substantial to grab onto.

12.) 5.5 out of 10 - Azerbaijan (Özünlə Apar by Fahree featuring Ilkin Dovlatov)

Better than In the Middle ... but not much better than anything else.

13.) 5 out of 5 - Iceland (Scared of Heights by Hera Bjork)

Paint by number pop that has a couple of ok moments but overall is lacking in originality or anything to set it apart.

14.) 5 out of 5 - Moldova (In the Middle by Natalia Barbu)

Nothing here that was very exciting. Weak song, weak performance.

15.) 5 out of 5 - Portugal (Grito by Iolanda)

Didn't like this at all - found most of it boring and almost allergic to cresendoing to any kind of big note until the end. Very flat performance, not one I expect to gain a lot of attention.

Check back in throughout the week for further coverage!

Last edited:
I know it's streaming on Peacock in the US, but I will be at work and can't watch live. I'm hoping I can watch it on Peacock after air or watch the YouTube stream after air via VPN...

I did pretty darned well for my first ever Eurovision predictions! I correctly predicted 9 of the 10 competitors that advanced into the finals. The only miss for me was that I had Poland making it in, but they did not make it - instead, the dreadful Portuguese song advances into the finals. I can't imagine it is going to do very well on Saturday, but the Polish entry wasn't going to win either. I'm pleased that I got the other 9 iedntities of the top 10 correct! I'll listen to and predict the second night of the Semifinals tomorrow night. Did you watch the first semis? Thoughts on the 10 countries that advanced? Do you think the winner is going to come from this batch?

Back