Euro dark [completed]

FYI, on the current Euro Dark test the joinable groups on user profiles are difficult to read.

I have replaced Euro dark with a new version, and moved the previous one to a new skin called "Euro dark orig".

I have made everything darker, to increase contrast with the Euro blue. I have also changed all of the grays used to be achromatic grays, rather than the ones with blue tints used in the earlier skin.

The Minister usergroup blue will be changed across all skins, as I just can't find some dark palette that works with all skins. For now, please bear with the poor contrast.

Any comments on this iteration, including comparisons with the previous one, are welcome.

The color of the region/laws/government etc. tabs bothers me. Otherwise, besides the expected patches of Euro Bright, like it better.

I like 9. It's not busy with color.

Edit: I just switched back to Euro Dark, I'll keep using it and report anything that's odd or whatnot.

I will add that the stars in the background really stand out, more so than the text.

Rave said:
9 is the one currently implemented as "Euro dark orig". Do you prefer that to the new "Euro dark" version?
I will add that the stars in the background really stand out, more so than the text.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I need to recolor the SVG.

In the meantime, I've temporarily removed the stars, so as not to make it impossible to draft posts. in the dark skin.

Using euro dark:

The page buttons for the other pages (i.e. those you are not viewing) are white. I can see the number when I hover over it, though.

r3naissanc3r said:
Rave said:
9 is the one currently implemented as "Euro dark orig". Do you prefer that to the new "Euro dark" version?
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I need to recolor the SVG.

In the meantime, I've temporarily removed the stars, so as not to make it impossible to draft posts. in the dark skin.
So I switched to "Euro dark orig" and Immediately switched back to "Euro dark". I like "Euro dark", It's Dark, and not overly blue tinged. Almost every UX Design language that implements a dark variant leaves the color to the Accents. (Like Euro Dark Does)

Also, thank you for the temporary solution with the stars!

Personally I am a fan on the new euro dark compared to the old version, it looks a lot better and seems more cohesive.

Just wondering, is there anyway that you can change the colour of the text in euro dark, I find it quite to make a distinction between the dark grey and the black background.

Rave said:
So I switched to "Euro dark orig" and Immediately switched back to "Euro dark". I like "Euro dark", It's Dark, and not overly blue tinged. Almost every UX Design language that implements a dark variant leaves the color to the Accents. (Like Euro Dark Does)
Yeah, I agree with that principle. Euro bright was designed like that as well - all the whites and bright grays it uses are achromatic. No matter what Euro dark ends up looking like, I think it'll be focused on achromatic grays.

zapper said:
Just wondering, is there anyway that you can change the colour of the text in euro dark, I find it quite to make a distinction between the dark grey and the black background.
I've increased the contrast a bit, let me know what you think.

Any other opinions? The current Euro dark skin seems to be a bit too high contrast to me, especially in the index page. But those posting above seem to like it. What do others think?

I've adjusted the VP and Executive (both Ministers and DMs) blues. I made the VP's be the same as the standard Euro blue, and the Executive be the midpoint between Euro blue and Citizen blue.

Let me know what you think.

I'm honestly really enjoying using Euro Dark (my only complaint is the page numbers, the area where you click on them appears white, still.); and I like the changes for the blues. Everything contrasts against the darker theme especially nicely.

The page number issue should be fixed as well.

One thing that we will need to change yet again is the usergroup images that appear under avatars.

It is not possible to have skin-specific variants of those images. The ones we have currently were designed for the bright and classic skins, and do not work under the dark one. We will need to find a new design that works under all three skins.

r3naissanc3r said:
zapper said:
I've increased the contrast a bit, let me know what you think.
Little bit better, but if there is anyway to make just a bit brighter to get it to a more whitey colour would be good, also about the emoticons are they gonna be changed so the white bit in the background will be cropped out?

Can you post a screenshot of what the font looks like on your monitor? Given that the text is already at #C1C1C1, it seems odd that it would be at all hard to discern against the background. I can't go all the way up to #FFFFFF, as that is used for links (unless, that is, we decide to switch links to some colored font).

And yes, I'll try to fix emoticons, by turning the white pixels into transparent. If anyone wants to help by editing the files, that'd be welcome.

r3naissanc3r said:
Can you post a screenshot of what the font looks like on your monitor? Given that the text is already at #C1C1C1, it seems odd that it would be at all hard to discern against the background. I can't go all the way up to #FFFFFF, as that is used for links (unless, that is, we decide to switch links to some colored font).

And yes, I'll try to fix emoticons, by turning the white pixels into transparent. If anyone wants to help by editing the files, that'd be welcome.
I could help with the Emoticons. I've never edited animated .gif files before but i can take a shot at it.

Edit:
This also makes me a happy camper! flail.gif

I like the new executive blue a lot. I don't have any problem with the contrast on the index, but I still don't like the top menu so much.

EDIT: executive blue looks a bit too much like citizen blue (I recommend adjusting one of the two).

r3naissanc3r said:
I've adjusted the VP and Executive (both Ministers and DMs) blues. I made the VP's be the same as the standard Euro blue, and the Executive be the midpoint between Euro blue and Citizen blue.

Let me know what you think.
It looks different in bright too..and I think it looks atrocious is clashes with the deputy minister/minister bar thing in their profile.

r3naissanc3r said:

For some reason all of the sites I try an upload an image too aren't working, but it seems to be better now anyway.

The Minister blue is also super-close to the Presidential teal on my browser. I did a double take when I thought I saw three people with the Presidential color in the Active Users list a moment ago.

(Euro classic, but ... still relevant to this thread, I think.)

GraVandius said:
It looks different in bright too..and I think it looks atrocious is clashes with the deputy minister/minister bar thing in their profile.
Yes, it's going to change in all skins, as we're trying to find a usergroup color theme that works with all of them.

As many have noticed, the new minister color is very close to that of citizens and/or president. I'll try something else when I have more time later this week. In the meantime, please be patient with the temporary colors.

The usergroup images won't be edited until we have settled on a final color theme for usergroups.

Back