ENN's Presidential Debate LiveBlog

HEM @ 8:50 PM EST: ALSO ENN GOT A SHOUTOUT ON THE DEBATE.

...It was because they hated us, but that's pretty typical. :baghead:

Brunhilde @ 8:52 PM EST: "Vote for me because I have a detailed plan"

Lethen @ 8:54 PM EST: Calvin should hire a guy to repeat questions and clarify things for him

HEM said:
HEM @ 8:48 PM EST: I lost track of where we are. Are we essentially talking about what kind of mailbox we should use to deliver our content abroad?
That's been, essentially, this entire Presidential election season.

Concluding Thoughts

At the end of the day, everyone get's graded on a curve because this is the first time anything like this has been tried. There was a lot of shade to throw around at everyone, but it is HARD talking in real time.

Calvin: Calvin got nailed early because he got two very tough questions. I think by clarifying the rules he looked like the less prepared one -- which might be true to a fault -- but he got shafted bit time by circumstance and the questions.

Sopo: Sopo probably won this debate by a hair, but his answers came off very...well...boring. He came across as much more confident than Calvin, but I actually wasn't too enthralled by his content.

Moderators: I can recognize that Hyanygo was trying to avoid a stale debate by actually challenging the candidates, but I think it backfired for the most part. This debate was suppose to be between the two candidates, and he really came across as too confrontational and oftentimes seemingly exasperated (especially at the start when he expected Calvin to have SMART tattooed on his hand). Despite this, it would be remiss to not THANK Hyanygo and Peace Republic for organizing this debate. Even if it was not the perfect debate, it was a truly exciting moment in Europeian history.

I can now finish my lesson plans for delivery in .... 5 hours ....

Moderation and interviewing is pretty hard (see here). My thanks to Peace Republic for reminding me a couple of hours beforehand that I had a debate at 1AM :D

I think it was cool to hear everyone live. Maybe not super informative but thinking on your feet is a good signal imo.

hyanygo said:

Moderation and interviewing is pretty hard (see here). My thanks to Peace Republic for reminding me a couple of hours beforehand that I had a debate at 1AM :D
I thanked you for the work you put into the debate. I am grateful. That doesn't make you immune from criticism.

HEM said:
hyanygo said:

I thanked you for the work you put into the debate. I am grateful. That doesn't make you immune from criticism.
Of course not. But I'd be lying if I said I'd actively want to improve on that area (interviewing and moderating are the least of my concerns). My first choices in leading the debate were in the tickets themselves.

PhDre said:
I think it was cool to hear everyone live. Maybe not super informative but thinking on your feet is a good signal imo.
For all those times a President asks the EAAC, or leadership subform or Tomlinson for help on tricky topics. Therefore delaying a reply and giving the opportunity to create s calculated, non-on-feet, response :p

Vinage Vinage said:
PhDre said:
For all those times a President asks the EAAC, or leadership subform or Tomlinson for help on tricky topics. Therefore delaying a reply and giving the opportunity to create s calculated, non-on-feet, response :p
I remember having to deal with some crises during hours of the day where my VP and FA were not available. Some stuff having to do with Kingdom of Ireland. Your mileage may vary but being a good on your feet thinker can never be seen as a negative in my opinion.

It's not a negative trait to have, but it influences me not at all on my opinion of the candidates to do the job.

I tend to agree with Vinage regarding thinking on your feet. Yes, a President needs to be able to think quickly, but more important is how thoroughly they think. And it's highly unlikely they'll be conducting high stakes negotiations via audio, so IRC showcases the skillset a President needs more effectively, imo.

Kraketopia said:
I tend to agree with Vinage regarding thinking on your feet. Yes, a President needs to be able to think quickly, but more important is how thoroughly they think. And it's highly unlikely they'll be conducting high stakes negotiations via audio, so IRC showcases the skillset a President needs more effectively, imo.
Ohhh... "Highstakes Negotiation via Audio" sounds like the next Europeian mixlr game show.

Back