Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
HEM says:
Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to ENN.
This is our panel.
Former President PhDre, Vice Chancellor Lethen, and Minister of Interior Asperta.
The first question: How well has this legislative session been going?
Lethen says:
(when did this term start?)
HEM says:
mid Feb
Ph says:
And the first answer: not well. We've really seen a lack of leadership in the Senate since Oliver's departure - the death of Consty V has left Senators with little inspiration, and the resignation of almost half the Senate at some point or another has been another nagging issue. The Senate hasnt managed to pass an act since January 12th, nearly two months, and doesnt seem any closer to passing any legislation.
Lethen says:
What ever happened with all of Hy's legislative changes? Weren't there still many to be implemented, changed, etc.?
Asperta says:
Oh, sorry, was AFK
For Hy's legislative changes, the new laws are being finished, and they will be forwarded to the President along with the repeal of the old ones.
HEM says:
Asperta, how do you explain the recent attacks on the Senate? Do you think this Senate has been effective?
Ph says:
To clarify, I wouldn't call the recent displeasure with the Senate 'attacks.' I just think citizens expect a bit more out of our legislative body, and many of the Senators who compose it - some of whom have done little to no mandatory recruitment. (you can throw that in at any point feel free to change it so its not a response to that question... I'll be back momentarily / eating cake)
Asperta says:
I agree that the Senate has been quite dormant as of late, but steps are being taken to improve the body's performance. Hopefully, Senate will be more active soon.
HEM says:
Do you think increasing the number of seats could help solve the problem?
Asperta says:
I don't think that is the problem right now. We need to get the current Senators to become more active. There are only a few who have been participating lately, and I would be honest that there is a lack of leadership at the moment. I am confident that it would not be the case in the future.
Lethen says:
Yes, I think the main issue is that the Senate is a quiet one, without any major outspoken members or issues...
...plus the activity levels have varied for the last few terms, and its kind of sad when you and I (HEM) reminisce about the Senate and how active things used to be, when people gave more of a damn.
Asperta says:
Expect the Senate to be more active soon.
Lethen says:
Its a shame Constitution V died.
HEM says:
Why did it die though?
Why shouldn't the debate keep going?
Lethen says:
Thats what I've been wondering too. I think it died with Oliver, though
Ph says:
(back)
HEM says:
What does Europeia need to get a more active political and media sectors
Lethen says:
Well, media needs to realize there is more to report on than just politics.
And the political sector needs to branch out into new things, like possible RP legislation.
Ph says:
Honestly, that's a question no one knows the answer to. I think part of the equation has to be generating more activity in the CC and the Senate; the Cultural Ministry needs to push activity in the EBC and in other cultural areas, and people need to be excited and interested
In terms of RP legislation, I remember a proposal a few terms ago by Ollie (I believe) which basically said, "Let's make the Senate able to comment on NS occurances"
The Senate could condemn regions, individuals, actions, etc, or release a statement on a government raid, policy, etc.
Lethen says:
Which we can do, too
There's a lot we *can* do
the problem is that noone is getting behind any of these ideas.
Ph says:
Well partly because there isnt that creative source in the Senate at the moment willing to fight for these ideas
Lethen says:
Yea, and the CC has the people, but not a focused opinion or voice
Asperta says:
I agree.
Ph says:
Ultimately, what we lack are influential and experienced legislators in the Senate, and that's being reflected with a bit of uncertainty. We're really not gaining the creativity and new perspective that a younger generation can and should bring to the Senate
Lethen says:
True true
The alternative is for an older member to take up those reings
*reins
but that doesn't work out
I mean, I could run for the Senate right now and try to push all of these ideas
but it wouldn't be the same as, say, a younger voice doing so
Ph says:
Another problem is that experienced NS'ers run for office in Europeia and find themselves intimidated with the quality of legislation here in Euro. People who have been successful elsewhere might feel there's a higher standard in Euro, and that can be intimidating
Lethen says:
Very true. I don't think its as major an issue as some people think, but we do have laws that are...too complex and difficult to expand upon. And I'll be the first person to say too bad, they should get used to it, but even I realize there are limits...eh, I'm going to stop before I ramble.
Asperta says:
I have not been around much, so I cannot comment on the issue of Europeia having a more complicated set of laws. Should we make our laws more simple, then?
Ph says:
And that goes back to the question "is Europeia reaching a point of legislative stagnation;" I think the answer is no, we've got a lot that we can improve upon and a lot of directions we can go - RP and NS legislation comes to mind
Lethen says:
(HEM, what are you doing atm?_
Ph says:
I dont think there's a need to 'dumb it down;' I think a part of the problem is that people are not prepared to serve in the legislature and yet we don't have the options to elect the legislative superstars come election time
HEM says:
And this leads to an important question --
Are new members who are joining, being integrated properly?
Ph says:
I mean there's always going to be a sink or swim moment. I can't speak for the Welfare Ministry at the moment but I do know that mentorships are difficult to manage - you get a question now and then, you answer and expand, but ultimately it's up to the individual to make that effort to get assimilated, to learn the laws and become a contributing member of society
Lethen says:
Hmm...we try, but there's definitely wholes. I've been a mentor for a while now, and most of my mentees up and disappear. That being said, we maybe should focus more resources on welfare.
We definitely pick favorites, too
Which needs to stop...because I'm sure that there are new members who may want to get involved who get scared away when they see the praise being showered on someone new who may seem more politically adept than they think they are.
Asperta says:
I agree. While we are seeing more members applying for citizenship now, they tend to disappear after a few days. We can't really blame mentors, because most of the time their mentees just fall inactive. Maybe what we lack right now is the newer members' interest.
Ph says:
Mhm, I know that I got a few breaks when I was coming along in Euro; though again the CC was a place for me to get acclimated and interested in Euro... I dont know if it's served in that function for a long time now
I think we lack a body for them to get interested; the CC for example as I mentioned
Lethen says:
I've tried sending out PMs now, too, letting members know that they are included and citizens...I'm seriously considering an idea proposed by HEM earlier
Ph says:
That being?
Asperta says:
The Welcoming PM?
Lethen says:
No, though that is something R3n thought of, and its a great idea.
Making people citizens right away and doing the reports *afterwards*
Ph says:
Mm yeah I think that would be a nice touch - I know it was something that a few regions use, and I can't imagine it would hurt
Hm, citizens right away? How would that effect legal issues, though?
Lethen says:
I don't know, it'd be a pain if we had to rescind citizenship after they already got it
Asperta says:
I don't think the wait for citizenship is the main culprit here, since we already give them forum access as pending applicants.
Lethen says:
Granted the chances are low, but still...I mean, Asperta, how many denials have I *ever* sent you? Maybe 2 out of the possible...100?
Ph says:
That sort of treads all over the Interior's mission statement (I believe) and raises a few nasty issues such as the one you mention Lethen
Lethen says:
Yes, very true.
Asperta says:
Yes.
Lethen says:
Well there's more to do in terms of involvement than just politics.
Asperta says:
Indeed.
Lethen says:[/b]
Why don't we see people getting active in the RS, debate hall, hell even spamming?
I started off as a spammer
Ph says:
Anything but spamming would be nice
Asperta says:
Spamming won't hurt, as long as its where it is supposed to be Games would be a good way to get 'involved' early, while being integrated into Europeia.
Lethen says:
No no no Dre.
Look, spamming in the spam forums is pointless, yes, but I'll harken back to myself
When I joined NS, I was taken under the wings off Fenchurch (Griffyn from TNI), MGB (King of EoE), and The Venerable Vendetta as well as Klopstock (last two GB&I natives)
we spammed, we became friends on MSN, and eventhough I didn't care at first, they taught me the ropes, explained things to me, and talked me into taking interest in running for Parliament.
I think that we could do that too, except most of our spammers are people like Jahka and AA who don't offer that kind of mentoring.
Ph says:
I think part of the problem is that the most effective ways to 'mentor' and educate nations aren't neccessarily ones in which the government can be effective
Asperta says:
Is the Newcomer Chatroom being used, by the way?
HEM says:
Not enough, I don't think
Ph says:
The government-created mentor program, and the welfare department as a whole, attempts to create a community while missing the fact that we're an entire community of Europeians, and that all of us can fill that roll and bring up new Europeians
If that makes any sense
Lethen says:
I see what you're saying. We can't force bonds to happen, and people mentor naturally. I'm pretty sure that I just randomly started talking to you one day, PhDre. Aspy probably had a de facto mentor/friend. I know I talk to Rachel alot.
Ph says:
Maybe something we could do is have welcome forums be a part of the republic square
Lethen says:
That'd be a bit toooo crazy
Ph says:
Or somehow involve the 'community' more in welfare - something along those lines
What I mean is - I'm a new member, I PM my mentor asking "what the hell is there to do?"
"Start a thread in the republic square, introduce yourself"
Lethen says:
Oh yea, that would work.
Ph says:
What I'm saying is that this one on one fantasy we create in which everyone's manatee and mentor will be a perfect match... it's not going to happen. The best we can do is get them integrated into the region, invested in Euro
Lethen says:
I think they'd get butchered a bit, but...meh. There's got to be a way to get mentees to actually respond to PMs, too.
(Btw, bitch, I Have 8 reports to do, so get off your SC butt and help me with them)
Ph says:
Besides pestering them constantly
(keep me out of this)
Asperta says:
None of those I have attempted to mentor responded to my PMs. They all vanish
Lethen says:
Mine have all disappeared
Did get a guy who telegrammed my nation today asking how to become WAD though.
Ph says:
Exactly, it's a ridiculous concept that we should have an entire ministry dedicated to dissapearing citizens
HEM says:
What do you folks think of the next elections?
Is Earth going to run?
Ph says:
The Welfare Department can, I believe, serve as a bridge between the greater community and the 'new citizen,' but it needs to be a more nuanced transition
Lethen says:
Yes...I think it has its merits, we just shouldn't fool ourselves.
Ph says:
I think she'll determine whether to run based on how the next few weeks go for the Administration - as far as opposition, I'm frightened that we may end up with another weak field. I'm interested to see what the candidates are going to bring to the table, specifically in Welfare, Foreign Affairs, and the Navy; I'd also like to know what plans they have for the annexation and embassy features. The better the field, the more interesting these debates will prove to be
Lethen says:
Very true. I'm wary of who may stand, and I'm more wary of what their choices will be for the specific areas of Foreign, Welfare, and the Navy: if they have weak cabinet choices, they'll get hurt in the polls...*makes note to ask about cabinet before the actual vote*
Because I don't want good foundations or good work being reversed and destroyed.
Ph says:
Mhm, I think Earth was catapulted to the Presidency mostly due to the lack of what was perceived as a viable alternative; hopefully next election will see a more formidable matchup, which will return focus to the platforms at hand
Asperta says:
I think that one of the key issues would be Foreign Affairs. Our size would be pretty much useless without a solid FA Agenda.
Ph says:
Definitely, I think we take our size for granted, and to an extent, don't really use it for much good.
Lethen says:
Thats another issue, perhaps the most important currently. We spent many terms focused on naval, and the next big thing will be foreign. We have the ability, but we aren't using it...and we don't know which way to use it. I think that using the military and becoming a "beacon" for the raiding world is just out of the question, but we can assert ourselves in other ways.
I think it may help you all to know that Earth and I plan to be more active and visible on the NS forums too, i.e. in the SC/WA areas.
Ph says:
Our Foreign Affairs strategy is going to have to change to some degree thanks to annexations and embassies; again, that's something I'm looking forward to seeing from candidates in the future. I'm hoping to see candidates who are also willing to put their VP to work on domestic issues while tackling what I agree is the most important issue of the day, Foreign Affairs.
Asperta says:
I agree. Foreign Affairs would need to do more than distribute updates.
Lethen says:
Yes true...I would like to see a much more active VP as well.
Ph says:
Absolutely, we can get more involved with SC and GA proposal creation, we can bring resolution writers here to Europeia, we can get the EW's and Sav's and NC's and Sedge's and Numero's to Europeia; we have the potential to do a lot of great things in Culture and Foreign Affairs; but again we often take our size and stability for granted... and for lack of a better phrase, we just drop the ball sometimes.
Absolutely, Leth. I think that a good example of how VP's just don't feel comfortable getting active is Jus; he never -really- got involved in the day to day running of the administration until I went on a LoA, at which point he attempted to deal with two or three ongoing legislative issues, and ultimately had to rescind an untimely EO or two.
VP's are all too often expected - by Europeians as well as by the Administration - to play the advisor roll when asked, and otherwise look pretty for the cameras and the mask
HEM says:
Should we reconsider how we re-elect the VP?
Ph says:
Not really, we should reconsider what we expect from the VP, and in turn, the Administration, instead.
Lethen says:
Changing the system in terms of the Vice President wouldn't amount to much change unless, as PhDre said, the mindset was different.
Asperta says:
I agree. The VP should not only be the Administration's spare tire. It should be second most visible and active individual, next to the President.
Ph says:
It's actually pretty incredible; I cannot remember a visible VP in my time in Europeia
It's as if the VP has been relegated to handling the CSO and chatting on MSN with the President.
Lethen says:
Hey bub, I think I was a VP at one point while you were here
Ph says:
Indeed
Lethen says:
Mr. Moderator?
HEM says:
Thank you ladies and Gentlemen, this has been an expert ENN panel.
I appreciate the commentary, and your time
Ph says:
Cheers
Lethen says:
Thank you. Now get on some of those reports for me

Senate woes: I blame the newbie push. The rest seems sound.
I don't think there is anything wrong with encouraging and having newer members in the Senate, but that there has to be better balance. Newer members also need to take more risks. If I hadn't posted my poorly written act in the Senate, then Hyanygo would never have helped me out and I wouldn't have gone on to write two more and rewrite a third.

The little things make big differences and build momentum. If Silver Steps had run for and had gotten into the Senate and did well, we could be singing a totally different tune or if a few acts had gotten passed. It really hurt that Oliver Dion-Grey and Jusduckria were unable to continue, because they (in particular Jus) were keeping things going. The Senate can do amazingly, it just needs to get things moving and done.

It really hurts that the Senate's inactive, and there are very few original ideas..

What about introducing the idea of Senior Senators and Junior Senators? Not so much of a difference besides in name but it'd give the younger senators direction to exactly who they should talk to in the Senate if they have a question. Personally I know I've got to Oliver or Hyanygo or Jus on legal things that I'm not sure about just in case. I guess some could say that's bad cause I'm not just jumping into things like that but it's good to know who you can go to for quick advice. I think that works throughout the region, too.

Or we can just have a proper bicameral legislature as I proposed, and stop playing around with half-measures.

Or we can just have a proper bicameral legislature as I proposed, and stop playing around with half-measures.
Bicameral legislatures...really slow things down...

As if our Senate is really light-speed. It has never been fast in fact, quite the opposite.

Note also that this would be quite different than the bi-cameral in other regions, where usually the second chamber is comprised of Lords who are retired members.

As if our Senate is really light-speed. It has never been fast in fact, quite the opposite.

Note also that this would be quite different than the bi-cameral in other regions, where usually the second chamber is comprised of Lords who are retired members.
There was a day, believe or not, when legislation passed through our Senate like water.

But I think the current slowness of the Senate adds to the problem. That is to say, with two potentially slow houses we are bogging the process down even more.

I remember when we competed on experience and policy, back then...when we had no lack of capable, active legislators and people willing to govern. What the hell happened? Somewhere we had this rush to push newbies into everything, where we switched from caution about causing the next Aramor-esque meltdown and preferring competence over shininess, to trying to throw our youngest citizens into high office as early as possible and pretending their floundering was okay, while a heap of our older/middle-aged members felt this meant it was time to retire, or at least step out of the Senate/Government. When did this happen? I don't remember a specific time or event, but damnit, we cocked up.

That's enough out of me for the moment though. *shakes a cane at all of you and prepares for bed*

I remember when we competed on experience and policy, back then...when we had no lack of capable, active legislators and people willing to govern. What the hell happened? Somewhere we had this rush to push newbies into everything, where we switched from caution about causing the next Aramor-esque meltdown and preferring competence over shininess, to trying to throw our youngest citizens into high office as early as possible and pretending their floundering was okay, while a heap of our older/middle-aged members felt this meant it was time to retire, or at least step out of the Senate/Government. When did this happen? I don't remember a specific time or event, but damnit, we cocked up.

That's enough out of me for the moment though. *shakes a cane at all of you and prepares for bed*
Then fix it.

I'm sorry, Anumia's right. And I'm going to scream in a non-Presidential way for just a little bit here. We are losing the semi-oldies and we've already lost the oldies. And instead of fixing the problem you oldies just seem to want to talk to each other and not get back involved in politics. Do you not see that you're not fixing anything like that? That half our senators don't know what they're doing and quota for someone being confirmed into a position right now is..don'tcha know? Three. God damn it, you guys. We have a region of 1050+ nations. Why do you think that it's time to step back if you're still here? We still need you and that's that. It's not time for you to just..quit being part of the force that drives the region.

We need both newbies and oldies! We need people to teach as well as people to learn. And those teachers need to teach by example, not by just talking. Be that force goddamnit! I can't..fix things alone.

It's not a revolving door with politics in a growing region. It's a growing room that needs a full force of strong people to push us forward into a confident future. We don't need to go 'Op, Gus can handle that now. I'll step back." No. That means it's time for you to take hands and keep pushing forward.

*screams into a pillow and runs away*

I will take a lot of the comments about the Senate to heart and try to do better for my part. A lot of good stuff in here. For instance, I have been avoiding it but I will soon get some recruiting done tonight (Sunday night). And Constitution V is not dead. I like it and I plan to move forward with it, but I also want to discuss some possible radical changes I have been thinking about to go with it.

I wonder how much more activity could be generated if people were willing to have more of their MSN type conversations here on the forums. Could more password protected subforums help with that? (Realizing that some conversations happen on MSN because they are time sensitive or require a more speedy back and forth)

I want/love to hear what the older members think, all the time. Good stuff.

I wonder how much more activity could be generated if people were willing to have more of their MSN type conversations here on the forums. Could more password protected subforums help with that? (Realizing that some conversations happen on MSN because they are time sensitive or require a more speedy back and forth)
I don't think that's going to work; people like the privacy and efficiency of MSN.

I don't think that more forums would help that; MSN generates these types of convos because it is an instantaneous messenger.

And I'm looking forward to what you can offer, Free Politie. Little piss and vinegar from new members is refreshing.

I will take a lot of the comments about the Senate to heart and try to do better for my part. A lot of good stuff in here. For instance, I have been avoiding it but I will soon get some recruiting done tonight (Sunday night). And Constitution V is not dead. I like it and I plan to move forward with it, but I also want to discuss some possible radical changes I have been thinking about to go with it.

I want/love to hear what the older members think, all the time. Good stuff.
I would be interested in hearing more of these radical changes :ph43r:

Back