Embassy Act (2012)

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
When I travel abroad, the first thing I always do, besides getting my shots (can't trust those dirty foreigners to not be carrying the plague) is to find my nation's embassy. While I'm there, I feel safe, because I have free reign to do whatever I want. Yes, I sit around naked, using my nether regions to play billiards, while chatting up the ambassador that represents me. In hindsight, I probably should have worn a cup. They don't call me Calvin "Got Kicked in the Balls by an Ambassador" Coolidge for nothing, after all.

Recently, word has come out of the Octagon that the ERN has raided Canada, a region we have had an embassy with for six years, making it one of our oldest embassies. Naturally, there's a lot of issues with this invasion, that Europeians are angrily protesting. However, before we get into that, let's understand this act, concerned with such a vital part of this issue.

This act's goal is, as it states, "to promote formality and due diligence in regard to the creation, maintenance, and removal of embassies in and of Europeia". This is soon followed by a few disclaimers, that state

WHEREAS the Law does not recognize any regulation whatsoever regarding embassies in and of Europeia

AND WHEREAS a formal and considered approach is desirable in the pursuit for proper foreign relations

It'd probably be a good idea to keep those in mind when we discuss the Canada issue. The first section of the act that we'd like to focus on are the definitions, aptly put under the title, "Definitions". It is important to establish these beforehand, as I well know. I can't even tell you how many times I've had to correct someone who defines Taylor Swift as a pop singer, when she is clearly a pop/country singer (I've corrected people 22 times). With that in mind, let's examine these sections.

(2) For the purposes of this Act, an "off-site embassy" is defined as an area on a NationStates community's off-site forums designated for the purposes of diplomatic activity of another NationStates community.

(3) For the purposes of this Act, an "on-site embassy" is defined as a mutually agreed upon embassy located on the NationStates page of each region involved utilizing the site feature announced by Max Barry on March 17, 2011.

So, off-site is on a forum, and on-site in on NationStates. Not too tough to remember. However, if you find yourself forgetting which is which, just think of it like this: off-site has an f, for forum, and on-site has an n, for NationStates. If you like to remember things in a more exciting manner, think of it like this: I get off on forums, while NationStates turns me on. Let's talk about the off-site embassies first, because that is what comes first in the act, under the appropriately titled section, "Off-Site Embassies"

(4) An off-site forum may be created on the Europeian forums upon the formal request of a foreign representative of the government of the community making the request. The President and or his appointed deputy shall have discretion to accept or deny such a request for any reason as well as to determine the process for application. The President or his appointed deputy shall be responsible for the construction of the off-site embassy upon acceptance of a request.

(5) Any off-site embassy in Europeia may be removed by the authority of the President for any reason.

This makes it seem pretty easy to get this kind of embassy, actually. All you have to do is request it, then get the approval of one person, either the President or an appointed deputy. Kind of like on Halloween, where you ask one person to either give you candy or suffer the consequences, except you are asking one person to give you an embassy... or suffer the consequences. Moving on to on-site embassies, under the title "On-Site Embassies"

(7) An on-site embassy may be created on the NationStates page of Europeia only with a community possessing off-site embassies both with and of Europeia. In order for establishment, the embassy must have the approval of at least two of these three sources of authority: the President, a Supreme Chancellor, and the Senate assembled.

(8) Any on-site embassy may be removed with the consent of the same.

Clearly, this is the tougher embassy to achieve. Approval must be granted from two sources now, instead of one, and you must already have an off-site forum to receive approval. Using my Halloween example from earlier, it would be as if I went to somebody's door asking for candy, and they told me I would only get candy if someone else in their house agreed it would be a good idea to give me candy, and I had to have stopped by their house last year, as well. Eventually, I decided it was too much trouble, so I made him suffer the consequences and junk-punched the man where he stood, but that's not the point. The point is, that's the end of the act. So, now we are free to move on to greener pastures, or, knowing Canada, moose pastures.

On August 2, Grand Admiral Common-Sense Politics released a short statement that the ERN has pledged reinforcements to UIAF, and its allies, after they seized the delegacy of the region Canada. Almost immediately, Europeians began to protest, most visible was Ogastein, new Minister of Foreign Cultivation and Canada native. He was outraged that the ERN "tricked" Canada, and felt that embassies represented friendship, and that act was a betrayal of that friendship. CSP defended the ERN's actions by saying that this raid helps Europeia, as we would get more sway with UIAF, since we helped them out with this, and pointed out that we have no treaty with Canada that would mean this action is forbidden. Associate Justice OnderKelkia weighed in, saying that Canada had ties to defender regions, which operate against UIAF interests, and therefore action had to be taken, to test Canada's neutrality. Others worried that this sends our allies a negative message, that we could attack any of our allies, regardless of whether they have an embassy with us, or for how long. HEM gave another view, when he said that any region that has an embassy with us must know that we have an active military that conducts raids, and any region that has a problem with that should reconsider their relationship with us. Meanwhile, Calvin Coolidge would like to add that Canada's got 99 problems, but a moose ain't one.

All of these viewpoints have been clashing for the past few days, with little resolution coming out of it. A discussion thread was opened in the Grand Hall over the "Value of the Navy" and CSP received a "Nay" in his re-confirmation vote, so far the only Minister from this current bunch to receive one. Regardless of which opinion comes out on top, this discussion is providing us with a lot of information on a topic that doesn't usually receive much light, being the ERN. Hopefully, we all come out of this a littler wiser about this subject, and more willing to discuss such an important topic.

To conclude, this act deals with the formalities of setting up and taking down both off-site and on-site embassies, providing a good lead-in to our discussion on the recent raid of Canada. I hope this article has provided some good information, but, as always, I encourage those who want to find out more to look at the Law Index, or to check out the topic in the Octagon, "Get Ready for Some Contraversy". Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, looking for a good jockstrap.

Let's not characterize the nay vote as a reflection on the Canada "issue". Zenny didn't like that I didn't want to spend my day in the Senate chit-chatting with her.

I voted Nay because you seemed to act like you could waltz through the confirmation hearings and didn't care at all. Asking for detailed answers and asking good questions is (I think) my bloody job as a Senator and its your job as an appointee to answer my questions to my satisfaction. Everyone else did except you. I also strongly disapprove of your actions in taking part in the Canada operation, and because of your answer to my question regarding it, I voted Nay on your confirmation. I was disappointed that no other Senators felt the same way on the matter nor did they care that you seemed to act like you run the place.

So you voted based on your personal opinion of my attitude. Impressive, Senator.

Common-Sense Politics said:
So you voted based on your personal opinion of my attitude. Impressive, Senator.
Zenny voted based on your conduct in the thread, which is perfectly acceptable. If a Senator feels that their questions haven't been answered in a satisfactory way, it's their prerogative to vote based on that. It's also your prerogative to act like a dick and take your NAYs like a man. Unless your ego demands unanimous affirmation, that is. :p

McEntire said:
Common-Sense Politics said:
Zenny voted based on your conduct in the thread, which is perfectly acceptable. If a Senator feels that their questions haven't been answered in a satisfactory way, it's their prerogative to vote based on that. It's also your prerogative to act like a dick and take your NAYs like a man. Unless your ego demands unanimous affirmation, that is. :p
Not at all. I invited her to vote nay and was much amused by it. I don't take myself or you people's perception of me very seriously.

Just like CSP was perhaps rude with his responses, Zenny was frivolous with her opportunity to ask questions of the Candidates - asking why the chicken crossed the road will at the wrong time and place (which I would argue a confirmation hearing is) will sometimes have people not taking you very seriously.

PhDre said:
Just like CSP was perhaps rude with his responses, Zenny was frivolous with her opportunity to ask questions of the Candidates - asking why the chicken crossed the road will at the wrong time and place (which I would argue a confirmation hearing is) will sometimes have people not taking you very seriously.
Ruling whether or not Zenny's questions were frivolous or not should fall to the public, not to the Ministerial appointee, and certainly not during a confirmation hearing. My expectation of Zenny's conduct has no bearing on my expectation of CSP's conduct. Furthermore, let's not pretend this is the first time this has happened to CSP.

PhDre said:
It was meant to be a joke -_- I thought it was obvious and I was trying to make it not overly-serious and tense :/

Am I really going to take heat for a joke meant to lighten the mood?

Wow. Ok next time Ill just say "No questions, all Aye" and not do my job. Wow. I thought maybe for once Id done a good fucking job.

Zenny Anumia said:
Wow. Ok next time Ill just say "No questions, all Aye" and not do my job. Wow. I thought maybe for once Id done a good fucking job.
Don't let this get away from you - I think you asked two good questions that needed to be asked. The answers received gave the public a lot of insight on what each minister planned on doing and how much they had conversed with the President on their plan. Your questions lead to further questions had for other candidates, especially Imperium, because the answers pointed out a lack of communication and understanding between him and the President.

It's best to realize in some situations CSP can kind of be a dick and just leave it alone because we have no other GA option. :p

I dont think your two questions were poor at all - or that you should rubber stamp. I was happy to see you comment / ask questions. However, yes your last question was frivolous, and Mc I agree CSP should answer her questions but if she asks Why did the chicken cross the road I expect CSP to use some judgement and not feel obligated to respond to something like that. That's all.

Not to mention that some of the reason why CSP has acted like this and will continue to act like this is that there really aren't many if any people who can do the GA job besides him

That's fair. I'm not saying he isn't good at his job, either. I just think someone should say something at some point. Also, we should get more people who could be GA.

Is nobody else reminded of last term's Cabinet nominations, where almost the exact same thing happened with Kraken's first GA pick? :lol:

Cormac went on the warpath after SD's responses to his questions were, according to Cormac, not up to par. Some choice quotes that have some resonance here:

"The fact is that Seven Deaths has been combative and uncooperative under Senate scrutiny."
"I urge President Kraketopia to withdraw and replace his nomination for Grand Admiral in light of his nominee's lack of cooperation toward the Senate."

Europeia. Europeia never changes. :p

PhDre said:
Not to mention that some of the reason why CSP has acted like this and will continue to act like this is that there really aren't many if any people who can do the GA job besides him
Just so we're all clear that's not why I answered Zenny's questions the way I did.

I felt that all three initial questions were frivolous. They weren't going to have any bearing on my confirmation regardless of how I answered them because they were asked for the sake of asking, not to determine anything at all. I consider someone arbitrarily wasting my time to be rude and I responded in kind.

Further, I'm not required to answer questions at all. I don't answer to the Senate. They vote to confirm or deny my nomination to my post and I believe they can remove me if they so wish. That's it. I don't owe Zenny or any other Senator any particular quality of answer. I answer to the President and I do what he directs or allows me to do.

That being said, I did answer the questions asked of me, admittedly as briefly as possible. I was a little busy communicating with several military leaders, overseeing our participation in a very high profile operation, handling domestic blowback from that operation, monitoring the NS forums for the same (which never materialized, I'll add), and making plans for the beginning of this term. My top priority wasn't playing hearing in the Senate. In fact, it wasn't a priority at all. If that makes me a "dick" then I'll happily be one.

The assertion that I take my position for granted is an incorrect one. It's a responsibility I take very seriously.

You're right about a lot of things, CSP. You don't take your job for granted, and I'm sorry if I implied that. The questions weren't pointed to glean anything out of you specifically, although that's not an affront to you so much as a way to save time by the Senator.

While you aren't legally required to "report" to the Senate, your position is accountable to them, as I see it. Again, you owe them nothing, but if they don't like your quality of answer, they will vote against you. And it's better to take your overwhelming confirmation with minimal effort rather than chiding a junior Senator for voting against you and questioning her professionalism. And that's really all I have to say on the matter.

I was trying to allude to the fact that the vote was not a result of the operation in Canada as the article seemed to suggest. Again, I didn't take any offense to Zenny's vote but maintain my prerogative as a voter to criticize it as foolish even if that wasn't the main motivation for my post.

Back