EBC Interviews: Speaker Malashaan

Seven Deaths: Welcome Citizens of Europeia, Ambassadors and Esteemed Guests to another exciting interview. Here with me today is Malashaan, Senate Speaker and Attorney General. We here at the EBC personally approve of Speaking so thanks being with us today. How are you?

Malashaan: I'm good. I seem to get busier and busier from day to day, but that's better than being bored. How about yourself?

SD: I'm just fantastic! But enough about me. Let's get on with the interview! This isn't your first term as Speaker. What's your take on the current Senate?

M: It's quiet, very quiet, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. From I personal perspective, I enjoy the legislative process and would love to be hard at work on new legislation. However, the fact of the matter is, we have a set of laws that are working well for the region, so the real area of activity right now is in how the Executive Branch is using the authority granted them by law.

SD: And do you think they are using that power effectively?

M: For the most part, yes. Last term, under CSP, we saw development across all departments. Recruiting became scripted, foreign affairs negotiated a number of strong new treaties, Culture expanded the scope of what is now normal for our festivals with a variety of contests, and the Navy conducted a large number of successful operations. This term, under Cerian, we are seeing an exploration of many new ideas and a renewed focus on communication with the new Ministry of Communication - something I've felt the region has needed for quite some time.

There are of course things that could be done better, such as the New Bealtaine Accord, of which I was a vocal critic, but for the most part the Executive has been highly effective, and in cases where mistakes have been made, they have been addressed quickly to ensure the same thing does not happen again.

SD: The Senate has been conduction reviews of the Constitution and other bills. Do you foresee that being the norm for the remainder of this term or will there be new bills or Amendments to discuss as well?

M: There isn't much of this Senate term left, and I don't expect any major new proposals to be raised. As I said, the set of laws we have is working pretty well for the region. Most of the new proposals I've seen lately have felt like legislating for the sake of it. I'd like to see the debate on Senate reform resurface, but I think that's a big job, and something probably best left for the next Senate.

SD: Speaking of the next Senate. Will you be running? If so, will you seek the Speakership?

M: I'd like to run again and continue as Speaker. However, I've been struggling to balance real life and NationStates commitments lately, so I'm going to wait and see how things look when the standing period opens before making a decision.

SD: Well, I think I'd echo the thoughts of many others when I say that I hope you are able to run again next term. With that, I bring this interview to an end. Any last thoughts?

M: I'd just like to thank everyone who has made this region feel like home. I'm not going to list names, because the are too many and I'll inevitably miss some, but there are many great minds here and it's a pleasure to serve in any capacity I can. Thanks for having me.

SD: It was great having you. We at the EBC wish you all the luck in whatever your future holds for you. Tune in next week for another exciting interview. And now a name drop so people read this. Lethen, Anumia, Swak. Night folks!

Cerian Quilor said:
I personally lookforward to the Maltatorship in the Speakership.
That is going in my signature. :gentleman:

Was the wrong order of names, but, shrewd reporting SD :lol:

[me]buys several copies of this newspaper

Thank you much!

I was going in order of, well, I'm not sure there was an order..

Back