Do People Really Want to Be President? And Other Such Questions!

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
From August 7th to 9th, I conducted a poll in the Grand Hall that garnered 26 responses. I asked people to say which positions in Europeia they would like to attain over the course of their career. This is the exact same poll that I put out in May and in December of 2020 to gauge the public's feelings around the end of the executive split. Now, 3 years removed from that decision, most of our positions are pretty well set, but the question remains: what positions are actually being pursued by the general populace? Does the Presidency still have that shine? Does anyone yearn for the People's Assembly? How many of us want to replace Lethen? These questions and more will be answered in this article. For some fun analysis, I will be comparing today's results to those from 3 years ago, to see how the region has changed over time.

To begin, our first question asked when our respondents first started being active in Europeia:
Screenshot 2023-08-10 123440.png

We can see that the vast majority of our respondents are 2+ years deep into their Europeian experience, with 73% of the population in that category. Only 3 people who took this poll were in the youngest two categories (1 less than six months, 2 six months to a year). Compared to the population boom back in 2020 after a surge of newcomers joined the region, these 2023 numbers skew older, of course. But hey, that means a good portion of these respondents joined around that time and stuck around!

Next I asked our respondent what sort of player they would describe themselves as:
Screenshot 2023-08-10 124004.png

A solid majority for those focused on political gameplay, which is different from 3 years ago, when "Equally split" was the clear majority. Are we becoming more political? Is the social game less prominent, so we must adapt? Interesting to think about.

But let's get into the rankings. Here are all the positions, sorted by category. I will present the newest numbers first, then the numbers from 3 years ago (December) in parentheses, followed by the change in the two, color coded with a symbol. So green plus means they grew, red minus means they shrunk, no symbol means no significant change.

High Executive
  • President - 76.9% (76.5) (Most Popular! Tied)
  • Vice President - 73.1% (67.6) +

Legislative Branch
  • Speaker of the Senate - 76.9% (47.1) + (Most Popular! Tied)
  • Senator - 73.1% (67.6) +
  • People's Assembly Chair - 11.5% (29.4) [compared to Mayor of Arnhelm] - (Least Popular!)

Judicial Branch
  • Chief Justice - 42.3% (26.5) +
  • Associate Justice - 53.8% (44.1) +

Cabinet
  • Minister of Communications - 38.5% (47.1) -
  • Minister of Culture - 30.8% (41.2) -
  • Minister of Outreach - 42.3% (41.2) [compared to Minister of Interior]
  • Minister of Gameside - 38.5% (41.2) [compared to Minister of Interior]
  • Minister of Radio - 42.3% (41.2)
  • Minister of Foreign Affairs - 61.5% (61.8)
  • Minister of World Assembly Affairs - 30.8% (35.3) -
  • Grand Admiral - 34.6% (23.5) +
  • Attorney General - 50% (41.2) +

Others
  • World Assembly Delegate - 42.3% (50) -
  • Supreme Chancellor - 30.8% (52.9) -
  • Vice Chancellor - 61.5% (50) +
  • EIA Director - 34.6% (did not poll before)

Comments from Respondents
  • I would like to be in the EAAC
  • Honestly all the positions are cool but the I feel like some of the Ministries should be combined to ensure more flexibility!
  • Comms is so hard I hate it so much
  • first minister

Conclusion
And there you have it! Perhaps as some of us might have expected, our top leadership positions of President and Speaker are the most sought after in the region. That's a good sign for our populace, who shows strong ambition to reach high heights. It's actually quite a large jump for Speaker which saw one of the largest spikes in popularity. And the second largest was from another leadership position, Chief Justice! Perhaps we are doing a better job marketing these positions than we were at the start of the remerge. Or perhaps does it have something to do with more of us being politically focused?

Of course, it wasn't all good news, as we see the People's Assembly barely registers as desired at all, with only 3 people selecting Chair as something they aspire to. Taking that in combination with the recent Chair election, which was delayed because everybody forgot about it, reasonable people should worry about the body's longevity. Other positions that have fallen off in popularity are Minister of Culture and Supreme Chancellor. SC we can perhaps chalk up to being unattainable, but that shouldn't stop you from dreaming, there's been turnover there before! For Culture, it might be time ring the alarm bells, as it has the largest drop-off of the all the Ministries. The only Ministries close to it are Grand Admiral, which has at least been on the upswing, and World Assembly Affairs, which has been in that realm for a while, and may warrant its own concerns, actually. What can the region do to make people care about these Ministries?

Hopefully these numbers were interesting to look at, and the retrospective from the remerge was useful data. As we get deeper into the Presidential election, perhaps we can use this information to spark relevant discussion. Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, sitting in an empty Chair.

I reckon the Speakership has seen a rise in popularity due to the rise in perceived importance and authority. It used to be a pretty s***y and thankless job with no much actual powers afforded to it so that likely made it unpopular for many.

i know for a fact that @Monkey would like to have access to all our state secrets, intelligence assets, and transcripts of internal sensitive conversations.

Very interesting poll Calvin!

i know for a fact that @Monkey would like to have access to all our state secrets, intelligence assets, and transcripts of internal sensitive conversations.

Very interesting poll Calvin!
could you name even 2+ times i’ve been wrong about anything

Thanks for running this poll Calvin!!

Really good and exciting to see an surge in interest in all of the legal jobs!! I think that's a testament to the increased emphasis we've placed on those jobs being not just important, but also attainable for everyone. You don't have to be a lawyer to become Speaker or a Justice so I'm glad that more people are interested in those roles now. I would be a little concerned about the decline in interest in a lot of the Cabinet jobs, those jobs are really important for the region at large and they're also great for individuals building experience if they want to move into one of the top roles in the region like President - as the poll shows many are.

On the increase in people stating they're more interested in political gameplay than social gameplay, I think that's also a really interesting finding and we should do some more polling on it. Just anecdotally I would say I've seen an increase in the number of people who are very interested in the political game and want to advance, as compared to 2020 where I would say a lot of players were much more interested in the social aspect and might take on a Cabinet job or two solely because they were passionate about that one particular area. I think COVID and lockdowns had a lot to do with that - people were bored and lonely and Europeia was a great way to spend time with people and feel a sense of community that a lot of us missed during that time. But I also don't see these numbers as a reversion to the mean, because for a long time we've seen the importance of social gameplay rise and importance of political gameplay fall and we kind of assumed this was just a inevitable decline and there wasn't much we could do to stop it, and all we could do was make changes to better reflect the new reality. I think these numbers and the anecdotal evidence (I would love to hear if others shared my observations btw!!) challenge that assumption and show that political gameplay is still the driving force between community engagement in Europeia.

I think these numbers and the anecdotal evidence (I would love to hear if others shared my observations btw!!) challenge that assumption and show that political gameplay is still the driving force between community engagement in Europeia.
I would argue that our political gameplay has gotten more social, so it’s kind of both. People don’t necessarily vote for a candidate based solely on their social relationship, but likeability and popularity are huge factors, both of which are very social. Our politics has a (super amazing) culture of “we’re all friends here” and, while I haven’t been here that long, that seems like a testament to how social our region is.

A solid majority for those focused on political gameplay, which is different from 3 years ago, when "Equally split" was the clear majority. Are we becoming more political? Is the social game less prominent, so we must adapt? Interesting to think about.
Maybe I'm way off here, but I wonder if people aren't the best judges of themselves in this question. From what I've seen people tend to bang the drum of political activity being on the decline against social gameplay, and people might just perceive political gameplay as better and answer this question accordingly.

It could also be that social gameplay is more integrated into political gameplay and the distinction isn't as relevant as it used to be, as PA says. I don't know, I joined years after Discord :p
World Assembly Delegate - 42.3% (50) -
I wonder if this is down because of the Frontier update.

Maybe I'm way off here, but I wonder if people aren't the best judges of themselves in this question. From what I've seen people tend to bang the drum of political activity being on the decline against social gameplay, and people might just perceive political gameplay as better and answer this question accordingly.

It could also be that social gameplay is more integrated into political gameplay and the distinction isn't as relevant as it used to be, as PA says. I don't know, I joined years after Discord :p
World Assembly Delegate - 42.3% (50) -
I wonder if this is down because of the Frontier update.
I've always thought people just mean markedly different things by the term "social gameplay," which leads to some wonky methodological problems keeping track of what the attitudes actually are.

I'm happy to see VCship being much more attainable, but I'm a bit disheartened by the SC choice dropping. It's obviously based on my performance and permanence in the role, but I think there are at least 7 people who would do a great job as SC. Including players who aren't "Old Guard..." Though maybe that perceived seniority is part of the job?

I'm happy to see VCship being much more attainable, but I'm a bit disheartened by the SC choice dropping. It's obviously based on my performance and permanence in the role, but I think there are at least 7 people who would do a great job as SC. Including players who aren't "Old Guard..." Though maybe that perceived seniority is part of the job?

I accept

There's so many interesting movements here. It's nice to see the increased interest in legal jobs, that would be another early indicator of the judicial reforms working as intended in that regard.

Back