Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"Deputy First Minister Concedes Comms Department Under His Watch Near Death"
HEM Tiberius
Managing Editor

Deputy First Minister GraVandius, making a rare public appearance to hand out some end of term awards, seemed to concede that the Ministry of Communications that he theoretically helps supervise is near death.

In bestowing a seemingly very well-deserved Saphire Star to Astrellan, the Deputy First Minister says: "[Astrellan] has effectively been the only other part of comms keeping it alive over the past month by publishing multiple articles."

GraVandius recently appeared before a hearing of the Senate to discuss the Deputy Devolution Amendment, arguing strongly that a separated Deputy First Minister position should be maintained in order to pitch in with Ministries that need help.

"Are two people who can lend assistance throughout the ministries and provide leadership really making the difference between finding people to hold positions elsewhere in the region," GraVandius testified, pushing back against a forming consensus that the dedicated Deputy First Minister and Deputy Chief of State positions were superfluous.

GraVandius has been replaced on Rand's ticket for re-election with Radio Minister Pichtonia.

-30-​

Ast and Hez have been breakouts.
Do we think they would have broken out with an active Minister that had a proverbial finger on the scales? Not to say that a Minister will automatically stifle the talents of those under them, but I do wonder if some players thrive when they feel they have more free reign - in this case from a lack of leadership.

There's an interesting and relevant question ...

I think there is something to be said for providing an opportunity for people to break out because there is opportunity to do it, but I also think that good guidance is preferable to chaos. Imagine if Astrellan and Hezekon didn't get along and instead of working collaboratively had decided to each try to "take over" the EBC to their own ends. Obviously I don't think that the First Minister would have allowed that if it was what had happened, but I think it's just as likely (maybe more) than that a well-suited duo figure out a way to push out the best content of the term by stepping into a void. This is a reminder to Ministers everywhere that you do need to provide opportunities to people - be there to support, not to micromanage. Encourage and hold accountable, but don't stifle.

Getting back to this situation, I don't think I'd draw too many conclusions beyond this: Astrellan and Hezekon have stepped up in a huge way, done a great job, and if they want it undoubtedly have bright futures in the region.

Back