former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
Debunking Defenderism
Written by HEM Tiberius

Almost a year ago, I penned an op-ed piece entitled the "Deceit of Defenderism" which was primarily aimed toward exposing the hypocrisy and doublespeak of the Founderless Regions Alliance. While the FRA is still a resistant force in Nationstates, their tyranny of absurdity has found a new rival, the United Defenders League, which has avoided the blunders and inconsistent coherency of the FRA.

However, things are still not well in Nationstates defenderism. For what the UDL lacks in stupid ultimatums and contradictory words v. actions, they make up for with moralistic dogma. The world has seen this before, but the extent and level of such sanctimonious talk is rising.

How true are defender claims of invader "bullyism" and "evil"? When looked at analytically, does the moral mandate of defenderism hold water?

Extremes

The first part of this exploration has to be establishing that both sides of the military spectrum have extremes. Some may contest this from the get-go, but there are certainly regions and individuals that are more gung-ho about their policy than others on their "side".

From the defender's point of view, these would be the invaders who actively seek to "destroy" the region. The invaders who make it their goal to purge, password, and refound the region in their image. Invaders who actively do this would be more extreme than those who go, chill, and leave (sometimes even with the WFE set back). An example of this would be Savaer from Unknown, who once asked me if I "had it in me" to destroy an entire region to prevent it from falling into the hands of the defender organizations.

From the invader's point of view, these would be the defenders who actively pursue an agenda with little regard for consistency in their declared "ideals". In addition, there are also the defenders who actively try to tear down the invader community by calling them petty names, or trying to force inaccurate dogma about the morals of invaders onto the Nationstates world. An example of the former would be the Founderless Regions Alliance (cira 2008-2010 for sure), and an example of the latter would be Unibot and many elements of the UDL.

The first thing one may notice is the differing amount of influence that the extremes have on their respective side. While the bulk of mainstream invaders have conceded ground to avoid ejecting natives, acting civilly, and showing something resembling respect -- the defender side is dominated by those who could be characterized as radical. There are certainly invaders who are extreme -- of that there can be no doubt -- but the defender entities that dare lecture the world community about the evil of invaderism see no existent room to act reasoned themselves.

The First Extreme: Defenders can still invade

Nextly, let's ask, what does invading a region mean? What power is lost by the natives to the invader?

(1) Control over WFE/flag
(2) Control over regional embassies
(3) Control of residency (who can be in the region)

Keenly notice that none of these powers can permanently alter a nation's ability to choose and to take action. Nations and the players behind them are not killed. The residents of Poland could easily found "Poland 2" with no ability to interfere from invaders. Invading -- as a general rule -- does not "destroy communities", it destroys the billboard outside of town that says what name the region had.

Invading is not like forum destroying that wipes out an entire history of a people. 99 times out of 100, it makes an appearance and ends. Just like that.

Indeed, invading can oftentimes revive and restore regions. A key example is in the region SPACE, which was invaded in 2008. The region rallied against Europeia and became a hub of activity -- for a time.

That is not to say invading is motivated by the desire to help regions. The few who make that argument are...not being completely truthful. Invading is motivated either by a general cause of war, or by the self interest of the invading region. Defenders are motivated for the exact same reason, but they do not do us the favor of being as open about their intentions.

Riddle me this: Name a region that was an active bustling center of activity before an invasion, and was then subsequently destroyed by such an invasion. Can you? I cannot. I am sure a handful of such examples exist, just as I am sure that some will provide them.

But what about all the regions destroyed by defending? In 2006, the reviving and active colony of Valhalla was a jewel in the New Inquistion Empire. The Empress Griffin had taken a dead inactive region and restored it to a place of glory. The kind of tale we wish every story ended with in Nationstates. Unfortunately, success leads to envy -- and to hate -- and to invasion.

After their victory at the battle of Iraq, defender forces lead by the Red Liberty Alliance and the Founderless Region Alliance attacked the colony and claimed it for the "natives". This destroyed the growing region, and now it sits as a dead trophy to Yggdrasil and the Goddess Relief Office.

Standing alone, this could be the tragic exception to a longstanding tradition of defender nobility. But destroying the Europeian colony at Old Europe and the Empires of Earth colony at Sufflok (detailed in "The Deceit of Defenderism"), both of which had all shown incredible promise, drew a far more sinister line -- defenders care far more about winning than "doing the right thing".

Even when defenders merely intervene they only exacerbate the conflict. They aren't there offering to "moderate" or "find a solution". They come into the conflict, uninvited, and begin saying and doing anything that strikes their fancy. Usually they aren't invited by the native government, and they are held accountable to such natives as much as invaders are. You often see defenders sidestepping native WA Nations (perhaps even the former delegate) to install one of their own agents. Despite their claims to be working for the region's "best interests" they are intrinsically doing the exact same thing invaders are. Full stop.

Truly, what is the difference between a defense and a raid?

(1) Foreign WAs enter region
(2) Elect a new delegate
(3) Secure region, eject WAs of the other side
(4) Leave after a fashion.

Practically, what is different here? A temporary change in the World Factbook Entry? So the text of a header and a flag is the "moral cause" defenders fight for, and that invaders are evil people for changing? Give me a break.

In addition, if the power of the native delegate is sovereign, then why do many defender organizations remain neutral during conflicts inside the feeder? Wouldn't it likewise be an ideological imperative to intervene on behalf of the native government? Even "staunch" defenders such as Sedge have found it worthwhile to invade feeders (The South Pacific) to advance their attempts at power. A blind eye can be turned to ideological purity on such occasions.

And while they tout their horn at sovereignty, defenders are more than eager to violate such sovereignty by surreptitiously invading regions' forums and attempting to sabotage the government from within. These assaults are far more grievous than "invading" a Nationstates region that will 99 times out of 100 be left in fair shape, or even having to merely move to a new region. Indeed, many defender agents boast about their work in "taking down" regions as an inside agent. Indeed, former FRA Arch-Chancellor Falconias frequently regarded the destruction of the Blades of Conquest -- as an inside agent -- his best work.

At the end of his career, plots involving the internal collapse of The New Inquisition and Gatesville as an intelligence agent also came to light (after years of denial). Defenders did not rush to condemn this, to preach about regional sovereignty here. Why? Because they don't give a fly. It doesn't affect their bottom line -- beat invaders. Indeed, it helps it.

As established in the 'Extremes' section, regions that are willing to break with tenets of defenderism to pursue their own agendas are the mainstream. While invaders willing to completely destroy regions to attain victory are the obnoxious minority, those who are willing to infiltrate, invade, and overthrow are most commonly defenders of note.

The Other Extreme: The moralistic condemnations

Falconias once stated, "I truly believe that everytime a region is invaded, a player leaves Nationstates. I want to stop that."

An admirable sentiment, (ignoring the fact that most Blades of Conquest members left NS after he brought that region to their knees *cough*), but what else drives players from Nationstates?

Perhaps directing a mindless drivel of negative commentary and vile remarks toward fellow players will drive members from the game? How many players have left over WFE entry changes and embassy closures? Compare that to how many players have left because of asshattery and unkind things being said. The "moral mandate" drives defenders to not just prevent invasions, but also to try to attack invaders at any soft spot possible. How many times have I been told I belong in "real life" jail? About how I am a lousy person because I invade? How are those remarks acceptable while changing a flag is heinous and evil?

Unibot said:
As Ballo pointed out, raiding and crashing, what you do is unjustifiable; you might be able to explain why you do something but it'll always be unjust.

This personal assaults -- these attacks against invaders -- are unjust.

Unibot said:
You have, what? A hundred people in Belgium endorsing your raider delegate? But for defenders we need every line of rhetoric available to persuade the masses to help liberate.

Even if you can explain why you do it...

Conclusion

To conclude, it is obviously clear that the moral mandate of the defender cause is a load of bollocks. Invading is more vandalism and nuisance than a military action. But defenders respond as radically, as militarily, and as aggressively as they can. For all high and mighty they consider themselves, defenders are operating in a radical position of self entitlement.

They believe they can talk about sovereignty, and then infiltrate another region's forums.

They believe they can talk about morality, and then spread nefarious comments and dialogue against invaders.

They believe they can talk about purity, and then usurp delegacies, invade feeders, remove native delegates, destroy invader-built communities.

Yes defenders, you believe you can...But guess what..?

You can't.

This op-ed was written by HEM Tiberius, the author of "Short Title: Bring in the Clowns" and "The Deceit of Defenderism". HEM is a retired Europeian Admiral and a predominate invader advocate.

Any rebuttals to this opinion may be either sent to HEM via PM in Europeia, or telegramed to the nation "E-News Network". All rebuttals will be published if appropriate

Nice job HEM. A well written article on defenderism and the extreme amount of prejudice that comes from one side to another. I'm not saying raiders are perfect but I think we got the right side of the game. :)

I don't even nessesarily think Raiders are on the right side, per se, but without Raiders, then Defenders couldn't have their fun.

The game needs dymnamics, it needs sides, or it would stagnate.

Think about it. Someone discovers raiding - he and his friends try it. Its fun. Someone else discovers defending. Then Defenders realize you can dossier people and follow their nation as they invade. Raiders then create puppets. Defenders develop spotting methods. Raiders up their game. Defenders spy on Raiders. Raiders spy on Defenders.

The whole thing is a contest that improves both sides, and makes the game more enjoyable - are their 'casualties', regions that die, or people that leave the game because of it all? Yes. But Defenders are just as likely to be behind it, I'd say.

I agree with the spirit and intent of HEM's article, if not all points.

Just to check, can someone explain this to me?

It's okay to raid FRA member regions, but not for the fRA to raid a TNI colony?

If one group can raid, everyone can raid, am I right?

Rachel gave me a fair answer to this over IRC and although I don't neccesarily agree with it, my question is answered

If you're going to double post in less than an hour, I'll let you simmer for a little while more.

The logic from TNI I believe is that because the FRA gave TNI reason to wage war, that their raiding of FRA regions is justified.

The logic from TNI I believe is that because the FRA gave TNI reason to wage war, that their raiding of FRA regions is justified.
Thank you for the response. I don't really agree with your answer, but I can see why many would.

And to clarify PASD, I am not angry over this situation, I was very curious as to see the response, as it is something I have wondered about since the FRA-TNI conference back in the summer I think it was.

Since the Vice-President has decided to put on his 'being difficult' hat, I'll answer your question for you.

Every organization that has the number of WA's to raid, can. However, this is less an argument over whether the FRA has the ability to raid, and more about whether the FRA (or UDL or any other defender organization) can argue that they are morally superior to raiders / defending regional sovereignty, and then put spies in raider regions, etc. But yes, everyone can 'raid' - if by raiding you mean seizing control of the World Assembly Delegate position at update.

No one wants to explain to me this double standard?
The Issue Will, is that there are those in the FRA/UDL/Defender Sphere that like to talk about how they're in a morally superior position because they're defenders.

HEM was arguing that there are large groups and chunks of groups in the Defender Sphere that are, in fact, not as moral as their propaganda would say,.

Its okay to raid, IMHO. I'm not overly attached to raiding. I'm here in Europeia, so I raid. But Defender Organizations cannot go around touting their moral superiority if they ALSO raid. Defender organizations that don't really shouldn't either, but at least they're not being hypocrites about it.

Its one big case of pot not wanting to meet kettle. People like the think they can take the moral high ground in this game when there is no high ground.

But wouldn't you say TNI being annoyed about a disputed raid on Valhalla is also hypocritical?
TNI is within their rights to be upset about an attack on them, just alike anyone would be within their rights if a Raiding force, rather than a 'defending' one would.

If we attacked a 'colony' (as it were) of some large, neutral region (not that those really exist, as far as I can tell) or an active, smaller one, they would be within their rights to be upset about it and prosecute a war against us. Even if the attack was a single-update long raid that followed all the rules for ethical raiding.

So, although it's not exactly the same, you would agree it would be within the FRA's rights to attack TNI if TNI attacks an FRA Member Region? Not saying they would, but it would be within their rights?

Quite honestly. I know no one will probably share my opinion. But every where is free game. If you're stupid enough to let a found nation die (if you have one) or you let your WA be weak. Its part of the game.

So, although it's not exactly the same, you would agree it would be within the FRA's rights to attack TNI if TNI attacks an FRA Member Region? Not saying they would, but it would be within their rights?
The two organizations are at war, a more intense conflict (mostly, as I understand it, on the TNI side) than the usual Raider-Defender Skirmishes, in that TNI actively works against the FRA (such as their attack on TRR, which is a member of the FRA, even though Sinkers are usually held as something to not attack)

Back