Communications is Key

Communications is Key
Written by Punchwood

In my home region of The South Pacific (TSP) activity has been very low for much of the year, and while things are starting to pick up again, they still aren’t great. I’ve been made a Deputy Minister of Regional Affairs (Interior, Communications, and Culture combined) in charge of Communications. While helping to get Communications in the region back and running again I’ve discovered a simple truth:  

The key to any successful region is communication.

Sure, cultural events help to keep a region active, and a strong military and foreign policy also helps to ensure your region is a successful one. Yet without communication your region will never truly be able to thrive. The main form of domestic communication is an active media. Allowing people to share ideas and viewpoints, entertain with their articles, and keep the region informed. For new members and for nations on the Regional Message Board (RMB), active media is incredibly important for them. It allows everyone to remain up to date the goings on in the region and better understand the politics and players.

Active media also keeps pressure on government officials; they can be criticised, praised, and examined by the media. The media can conduct polls and surveys to see how voters and citizens approve of elected officials and their actions. They can show us the views of citizens on constitutional matters, where they think the region is heading, what steps need to be taken, what’s right and what’s wrong and why they think that. They tell us what the region is thinking.

The media also allows for the sharing of ideas in the simplest way. Columns like this one can easily be lost in a sea of other threads when mixed with everyday opinions. But when the individual column threads are collated into a single forum of a media outlet, they receive much greater attention, and really present the voice of the author."

In short, an active media is essential for the wellbeing of a region. Cluing elected officials in on the needs of the voters and educating the electorate on the actions of the government serve to strengthen a region, and get people more involved.

Successful communication does not just mean success domestically. While an active domestic media may be serving your region well, you also need active foreign media. For a region to grow its influence, it needs people outside its own regional boundaries to know the goings on in the region.

What does it matter if your region wants to become the premier region in culture?. What does it matter if your region’s military is quickly growing and becoming more successful unless non-natives know about these success? How can you claim your region is a fun place to come and join if you aren't telling people about it internationally? Regular dispatches gameside and getting those dispatches upvoted to the top is a key part of foreign communication. Having regular updates in your embassies across all the different regions is also key. The more people know and learn about the events in your region, the more influential and powerful it becomes, and thus the more successful.

It’s clear that Europeia would not be anywhere near as successful without its strong Communications policy. We have very active private media here and it’s amazing. We have real life stories here that make us think, laugh, and debate; there are polls, countless polls done here keeping the region informed on what direction Europeians want to take and there are countless ideas discussed here. Europeia has one of the most active private media scenes in NS, and it’s difficult to see us without it. Europeia would be a much less interesting region if it weren’t for all the creative minds running all the newspapers.

We also have a strong foreign communication policy. Whenever something major happens a dispatch is quickly written up by the Communications Ministry and the Upvote Squad gives the dispatch as many upvotes as they can get. Our ambassadors also send frequent updates to all our embassies spreading our achievements and influence throughout NationStates.

It stands true to our testament that even a persona non-grata in the region, Cormac, can write an article on Europeia praising it for its achievements and success. Europeia is known throughout NationStates for being the political region. It’s what many of us came to Europeia for and it is because of our success in Communications that people know who we are as a region.

For too long Communications has being ignored, it has often been a side project that Presidential campaigns have briefly touched on but mainly focused on other matters. Recently, however, we have started to pay much more attention to Communications at home and abroad and are just starting to reap the benefits.

If you want your region to thrive, remember this: communications is key.

This is a great article Punchwood. Good job on pulling evidence from multiple regions to support your claim.

Activity is weak in TSP because the region is controlled by people who want it as a trophy and are indifferent to the health of the regional community.

I don't think is true and I think "communications" is being vastly overplayed here. Having a good season for the EBC or private media is not the key. What is important is a coherent and stable culture. You can be a heavily roleplay focused region or you could be an isolationist region for example.

A coherent and stable culture that is bought into by the members in the community make it work. We have a political culture that did not always have a consistent "communications" area. We did not always have a strong private media (blogs, let's start calling them for what they actually are). Yet our coherent culture based on a shared appreciation for rule-making, litigating and the business of government drew and -kept- people in.

"Communications is Key" might be a fawning little soundbite but it doesn't represent a truthful analysis of successful regions. It might be a consideration that we should take heed of but not in the way Punchwood describes. Punchwood is arguably too limited in the way he views communications so his overall argument seems stunted in its potential impact.

I think Europeia was very successful before the communications Ministry and even before a successful EBC. It helps us, but it isn't what primarily makes us successful.

@Rach, hy-You are both confusing Communications, with communication (notice the upper vs. lower-case letter). Communications, or the Ministry of Communications, is the ministry that runs Europeia's EBC and is in charge of accepting/denying applications for a Private Newspaper. Communications makes up a small portion of Europeia's success, small, but important nonetheless. Communication, with a lower case "c," is the act of exchanging words through verbal means or some other medium. Communication is how we as human beings connect with each other. Nothing can be accomplished without communication. A government wants to be more transparent? Communicate with the population. A region decides they want to be a roleplay region, the inhabitants will inevitably have to communicate with one another. A region cannot survive if the hearts of its inhabitants aren't known. In order to know your inhabitants, you must be able to communicate. In the context you put it in, you're right. However, seeing as you put it in the wrong context, communication is, indeed, key.

Oh I just meant Communications in general, I wasn't referring to the Ministry. Maybe I should have taken off the "s."

Punchwood said:
Oh I just meant Communications in general, I wasn't referring to the Ministry. Maybe I should have taken off the "s."
Do you mean the act of communicating, the Ministry, or the degree? :gentleman:

JayDee said:
@Rach, hy-You are both confusing Communications, with communication (notice the upper vs. lower-case letter). Communications, or the Ministry of Communications, is the ministry that runs Europeia's EBC and is in charge of accepting/denying applications for a Private Newspaper. Communications makes up a small portion of Europeia's success, small, but important nonetheless. Communication, with a lower case "c," is the act of exchanging words through verbal means or some other medium. Communication is how we as human beings connect with each other. Nothing can be accomplished without communication. A government wants to be more transparent? Communicate with the population. A region decides they want to be a roleplay region, the inhabitants will inevitably have to communicate with one another. A region cannot survive if the hearts of its inhabitants aren't known. In order to know your inhabitants, you must be able to communicate. In the context you put it in, you're right. However, seeing as you put it in the wrong context, communication is, indeed, key.
I think this is such a charitable reading of the article that it cycles back around and renders the article useless.

If the point of the article was that we talk to each other then I'm wondering what banal obvious statement is going to come out next.

Instead the article is insistent (whether Punch likes it or not) that its focus is _media_ as it is commonly understood here. That is a substantative contribution that deserves a place in the EBC. If Punch meant "communications", then he quite literally has written one thing and meant another.

However, as substantative as it is, it is also wrong.

Back