Citizens' Assembly Poll Results and Race Analysis

Citizens' Assembly Poll Results and Race Analysis
By Calvin Coolidge

With a Citizens' Assembly (CA) Chair election ongoing, a Presidential election incoming, and a term beginning to wind down, the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) conducted a poll from March 2 to March 5. A total of 25 respondents voiced their opinions on Executive approval, the CA Chair race, and the fast approaching Presidential election.

This is the second of a three part series from the EBC, releasing the results of the poll by section and provide some analysis on the data and comments. The subject of today's piece is the CA Chair election. Which of the three candidates has captured the attention of voters the most? How many are still undecided? How has Chair Airbus done this past term? Read on to hear the voices of some of the region's active citizens.

CA Chair Airbus Approval Rating

Not as busy a term as last term.
Started off well but went downhill.
Where did he go?
He's disappeared... in fact, I'm not sure he did anything with his second term.
The assembly has been pretty quiet lately. The Chair should be driving activity.
He’s a bit less visable then he initially was.
He still exists?
Chair Airbus finds himself with an equal amount of approval and disapproval (36% of both) and a roughly equal of amount neutral feelings (28%). These numbers are pretty mixed, but looking at the comments, many note a lack of activity at the end of the term, being a disappointment in comparison to last term’s performance, a critique backed up by the fact that Airbus has not logged on to the forums since February 21st.

CA Chair Election Polling

Need to read all the platforms first.
Need to see platforms.
Punchwood can't really even run his Ministry, I have no idea who in the hell locustofcharon is (and certainly haven't seen them doing anything in the Assembly lately), and based on his platform Alan Lee is from the moon. Can we get a real candidate, please?
Alan is way out there
Moving on to the current election for Chair, while no candidate has garnered majority support, Minister of the Interior Punchwood is in the lead with 40% support. 36% of voters are still undecided, however since Alan Lee has only 12% and locustofcharon has 8%, the undecided voters would need to all break for one of them if they hope to defeat Punchwood. And while the comments are small in number, they don’t seem to indicate any candidate particularly in the lead with undecideds, though Alan takes the most flack for his platform, which calls for massive reforms in the Citizens’ Assembly, including a heavier presence in Foreign Affairs matters.

The Candidates

Punchwood

Beginning with Punchwood as the leader of the poll, and therefore most likely to be elected as the next CA Chair, Punchwood’s platform is nothing revolutionary. However, it does cover the basic beats that the region has come to expect from these Chair elections: the Legislative Training Center (LTC), the Mockingbird, and some legislative proposals already on the CA floor.

In regards to the LTC, Punchwood proposes more choice for students when it comes to the time they take to get through the lesson plans by implementing a more passive system of mentor and mentee than the system currently in place. When it comes to the Mockingbird, Punchwood favors continuing the system as it runs now, with extra focus on more opinion pieces from Assemblymembers. Lastly, Punch states the basic idea behind the CA floor, being a place for experimentation, without going into much detail about any law in particular, however he does mention that he is opposed to bicameralism, a legislative proposal currently working its way through the Senate.

Alan Lee

Next in the lineup is one of the most ambitious Chair platforms in this race. Alan begins by stating his support for the longtime CA practice of private messaging all citizens when a CA proposal comes up for a vote, along with a ping on Discord.

Alan plans to create a Deputy Chair of Radio, who would appear on every edition of EuroToday, or appoint a representative to speak on their behalf. If any Assembly news of note occurs during the week, this Deputy also must host their own show on this news. For the Mockingbird, Alan would make it a weekly publication, which would be accomplished by another Deputy Chair, and the new Assembly Service Officium (ASO), where Deputy Chairs have their own workers who would apply via subforum. This ASO would also have a department for Foreign Affairs, which would reach out to other regions’ lower legislative bodies.

Lastly, Alan discusses the LTC, which he thinks should have a two-week course program for student to follow, run by yet another Deputy Chair, who would be in charge of all students and their assignments. All told, that would be four Deputy Chairs, plus a new internship program that many have compared to the states program, which Alan was previously a leader in.

locustofcharon

Finally, there is locustofcharon, who has the platform that is the lightest on details of the field. In it, he discusses only the LTC, which he proposes should have lectures in addition to the lessons, as well as stating his support for the bicameral system currently working its way through the Senate.

As Punchwood leads the field, and proposes the most standard platform of the bunch, it would seem that Assembly voters, while displeased in their current Chair, do not blame the structure for their disappointment, and will likely vote for more of the same sort of Assembly, lead by a more active Chair. The large number of undecided voters can still make this interesting, but this race seems to be heading towards a predictable end. Go ahead and check out the platforms in the Oval Room before the vote on March 9th, and stay informed. Also, be sure to keep an eye out for the conclusion of this three-part series, when the EBC tackles Presidential speculation!

I would like to clarify something here. I currently only plan the Mockingbird to be portfolioed/in the ASO.
All the other departments (FA, Education and Recruitment, etc.) only have a DC position.

Punchwood can't really even run his Ministry

I'm assuming this is the same person who also said that nothing was happening in Interior from the previous piece. Both comments rather annoy me as firstly Interior has been doing work, yes it could be more but we are still doing work. Secondly and the main reason it annoys me, is because when I and indeed the whole Cabinet have said continually this term that we need more people to get involved in Ministries so we can do more work, people choose to ignore this and instead make snide anonymous comments. If you don't think I'm running the Ministry well DM me with advice, I'm always open and glad to receive it. If you don't think Interior is doing enough work come and join the Ministry and assist but please don't leave useless comments like this. It helps no one.

Back