Chugging Along: an Interview with Alan Lee

Chugging Along: an Interview with Alan Lee
Part 3 of Welcome to Europeia, an Interview Series with United Vietussia

A newcomer that has perhaps gone under the radar but is perhaps starting to come out is Alan Lee, the self-proclaimed Phil Collins aficionado and active Discorder. His work in the States program is perhaps unmatched, leading the only truly active State as Governor, Haven.

On the heels of my interview with Lethen, I am pleased to bring you my recent sit-down with Alan Lee as we dive into part 3 of Welcome to Europeia.

You've been in Europeia for a while, but relatively speaking, you're still a newcomer, with a little over a half a year under your belt. What have you learned in this time?

Well, Europeia really taught me a lot. I get to interact with people, and their respective views, which often times are much more different than what I have. I get to learn more about different kinds of political system (especially when compared to Taiwan’s political system). Had I not have joined Europeia and instead joined another region, I may have just got bored and left, which means that I’ll miss out on all of these information and knowledge within Europeia.

Do you think Europeia's expectations of newcomers are too high, too low, or just right?

Personally, I think it’s a little bit too low. This may have to do with the fact that a large percentage of newcomers aren’t very active. In fact, a considerable amount of them just sign up for an account, post a citizenship application and never is seen again. Eventually, that leads to the general Europeian public thinking that most (if not all) newcomers are inactive people. In addition to that, there are also newcomers who run for president, lose and is gone (31%, in fact, according to a recent EBC article by GraV). This contributes to the idea that quite a lot of newcomers aren’t serious enough, even newcomers that are actually serious and enthusiastic.

You're the current Deputy Minister of the States program. Do you think this program (if it can get back on its feet) would be a good integration tool?

Yes. If the CA is the training center for future senators, Haven (and the Europeian States Program in general) is the training center for future ministers and presidents. Since Haven has its own Governor, and also a court and a Hall of Citizen (modeled after the CA), this would ensure that participants would have a balanced learning of the executive, and as well as a bit of legislation and judicial.

How would you describe your integration into Europeia?

I focused on mostly the executive, more specifically WA affairs and Radio, and these are the ministries that I still put a lot of energy in. For example, I ran for WAD on the last election, and hosted several shows for radio. Eventually, I diversified my energy to other ministries, like Interior (recruiting), Culture (Europeian States System) and Foreign Affairs (Developing UCRs). However, I have yet to have the time to get started in communications. In addition, my work on Legislation or Justice was (and still is for Justice) not really a thing anyhow, but recently, I’ve put more time and energy on the CA, and I have a proposal that is currently going through the Senate. This lack of focus (in the beginning) on Legislation and Justice is one of the reasons I want the States Program to continue, to assist our newcomers in learning all of Europeia, not just a specific part of it like I did.

What is your favorite aspect about Europeia?

Activity. I can talk with Europeians at 3 AM EST and still there will be a lot of people from all over the world. It is ultimately this aspect that really taught me a lot, whether in politics or other things. In fact, had I not joined Europeia at first and joined another region, I may not even play the game after June. And this activity really brought me to the world of NS, as I live in Taiwan, so most Americans are sleeping when I’m on.

If you could change one thing about Europeia, what would you change?

Increase of non-spam activities in the Cultural Hub. There are many things in it, and many opportunities for discussion and interaction, from Haven, the Art Gallery to the place for Philosophical Discussions, the Cultural Hub has the potential to be something magnificent. However, the only thing that’s active is the Spam Zone, and to a lesser extent, Haven (though mainly its application form in the past few days). I would like to see more non-spam activities there, as it would have more intellectual discussions among Europeians.

Although we've yet to see, the recent branch out to other Ministries and activities in the region could point to a rise for Alan in the upcoming year. His willingness to try everything the region has to offer is something not typically seen from newcomers, as most prefer to stick to one branch of the government. He's certainly someone to watch in the upcoming year as he transitions out of his status as a newcomer.

Alan said:
If the CA is the training center for future senators, Haven (and the Europeian States Program in general) is the training center for future ministers and presidents. Since Haven has its own Governor, and also a court and a Hall of Citizen (modeled after the CA), this would ensure that participants would have a balanced learning of the executive, and as well as a bit of legislation and judicial.
Aren't the ministries themselves the training center for future ministers and presidents? And similarly with the JTC and Law Clerks program? What is Haven really providing that working for the government directly isn't?
Alan said:
Increase of non-spam activities in the Cultural Hub... the only thing that’s active is the Spam Zone, and to a lesser extent, Haven (though mainly its application form in the past few days).
Do religions not count, or are they just not active enough? I notice they failed to make your list despite having more activity than all those other areas you mentioned. I agree with your broader point, but the Cultural Hub isn't just built on Haven and spam.

The claims made here do not met serious examination. Elections in Haven have been met with less than rolling tumbleweed energy. Part of the issue is that Haven is virtually identical to Europeia at large. People will not invest in an near exact replica. Alan's insistence that this is a strength betrays a lack of understanding of what a "state" has to offer. Once you have a clearer idea I think it's marginally more likely to get more effective and unique activity.

Calvin Coolidge said:
Alan said:
If the CA is the training center for future senators, Haven (and the Europeian States Program in general) is the training center for future ministers and presidents. Since Haven has its own Governor, and also a court and a Hall of Citizen (modeled after the CA), this would ensure that participants would have a balanced learning of the executive, and as well as a bit of legislation and judicial.
Aren't the ministries themselves the training center for future ministers and presidents? And similarly with the JTC and Law Clerks program? What is Haven really providing that working for the government directly isn't?
Alan said:
Increase of non-spam activities in the Cultural Hub... the only thing that’s active is the Spam Zone, and to a lesser extent, Haven (though mainly its application form in the past few days).
Do religions not count, or are they just not active enough? I notice they failed to make your list despite having more activity than all those other areas you mentioned. I agree with your broader point, but the Cultural Hub isn't just built on Haven and spam.
1. Well, Haven gives the newcomers the possibility of running for positions, giving them a simulations on how have better elections runs, which hopefully should give us better "Newcomer Campaigns" as oppose to candidates who don't even know what the Ministries are. Haven is also useful teaching these very inexperienced newcomers (even less experienced than me when I first joined) about how Europeia works.
2. While some religions are quite active (like yours) and other sub-forums are also active too (like EuroSurvivor), other potentially great sub-forums, like the Art Gallery, isn't very active at all.
hyango said:
The claims made here do not met serious examination. Elections in Haven have been met with less than rolling tumbleweed energy. Part of the issue is that Haven is virtually identical to Europeia at large. People will not invest in an near exact replica. Alan's insistence that this is a strength betrays a lack of understanding of what a "state" has to offer. Once you have a clearer idea I think it's marginally more likely to get more effective and unique activity.
3. Even though Haven is not very active, I believe that it is a great way to have fun. Even though I believe it's job is it integrate newcomers, I will seek out other possibilities. Once we have an active Speaker (as oppose to our current Speaker who made no attempt at Legislation), I will try to have conversations on this matter and make changes.
Finally, I would like to appreciate and thank United Vietussia for interviewing me. Thank you.

While its unfortunate that those sections aren't as active as we'd like, I've always approached those subforums as places that aren't designed to be constantly active. We have them as resources if they want to be used, but otherwise I consider them passive subforums. Not really sure how that fits into the larger conversation, though. :p

Back