Not Sure = 6

1-3 months - 5
3-6 months - 6
6-12 months - 6
1-2 years - 7
2-5 years - 5
5+ years - 6

PAST SENATORS

How would you describe your experience in the Senate?
  • Daunting, intimidating, enlightening, and interesting
  • Not extensive, but decent.
  • Amazing
  • It's been fun, although I wish I had had more time in hindsight to participate. My last two terms have been derailed by long vacations, and I haven't really had a full term to participate since last October-January term.
  • Awful :p
  • Generally productive. Frequently frustrating.
  • Having not served there for at least 5 years, my experience wouldn't be all that relevant. Things have majorly changed since I was last active as a Senator. For the better? That depends who you ask.
  • Rewarding, challenging and character-building.
  • Fun
  • It's been a positive learning experience that's both challenging and rewarding.
  • Meh
  • Productive
  • I enjoyed my short time in the senate, unfortunately it had to be cut short.
What do you like best about being a Senator of Europeia?
  • Figuring out why we make the laws that we do.
  • The legal discussion, and the feeling of accomplishment when we make a real change in the law.
  • Intellectually stimulating
  • I don't really like the position.
  • Thinking big when possible
  • Again, it's been a long time. But what I loved as a Senator in Europeia - and this was from 2007 to shortly before the law reforms - was the ability to craft and pass laws that I knew would have a relevant impact and *matter* in Europeia.
  • The feeling of responsibility it brings and the chance to shape the future of the region.
  • Getting things done
  • Setting laws straight
  • Analyzing proposals under discussion.
  • I didn't particularly enjoy it.
  • The productivity.
  • Having the ability to shape Europeia for the better and having responsibility in the region.
What is your least favorite part of being a Senator of Europeia?
  • Writing legislation, debating merits is more enjoyable
  • When you misread a law and get embarrassed.
  • Having to encourage others to participate
  • Being in the Senate
  • Can't give you a fair answer since I haven't been a Senator since 2010? 2011?
  • The time and effort required to do the job to a high standard.
  • Not getting things done
  • Some people might criticize the things I say.
  • The insane amount of importance put on insignificant wording choices; the fact that a good law can be voted down because it doesn't meet some make believe quality standard.
  • Lack of productivity
  • Remembering to vote
What advice would you give to a newly elected Senator?
  • Well..... Listen, love knowledge, don't be afraid, it's okay if you don't know legalese, be active, its okay to be wrong, read the Senate Protocol Act
  • Talk to everyone you can that has a lot of legal experience, and do it frequently.
  • Always think about the purpose of legislation, and ask lots of questions. Focus on what you have to offer - a fresh perspective.
  • Work hard and do reasearch
  • Read
  • Contrary to what everyone believes you don't need to be a legal eagle to succeed as a Senator, and its okay to learn on the job. I see it as two separate skillsets one can have: you can be the legal eagle that can interpret and craft the best laws or you can be the "amateur" that can be the Idea Guy. Think of the great ideas, propose them, and work with the legal eagles and the other thinkers to tweak and craft great legislation.
  • Don't be scared to ask questions, make arguments and get stuck-in with the legislating process.
  • You need to do more than just aggre with an idea. You have to read the draft and make sure it does what is intended in the best way. The position is about quality not about what your opinion on a general concept behind a price of legislation is.
  • Get things done
  • Be open to the advice of senior senators and respected legislators.
  • It's okay to make mistakes, just remember to learn from them and let other people help fix them.
  • Ask as many questions as you need to and don't be afraid of looking stupid.
  • Be productive
  • Stay active and participate in debates and to not feel scared to give their opinion in case it is wrong, the worst that can happen is that you're wrong and someone corrects you.
Why should newcomers run for Senate in Europeia?
  • If you have ideas, passion, and can argue your case, please run for Senate. If you're only able to say Aye or Nay but not actually contribute, then sit out.
  • It is a great way to show that you can handle responsibility, that you care about the region, and that you know how to read our laws.
  • You can contribute a different perspective, and you will learn a lot.
  • It's a really good way to put yourself out there. But always, always have a platform if you're going to stand; you won't get many votes without one.
  • It's great practice for any postion you want to run or in Euro
  • It's a time-honored institution, and a great step in a political career
  • Its good experience for debating; arguing for (and against) your ideas and the ideas of others; and knowing when to compromise and how to accept failure. Being a Senator is often a good way to "make a mark" and show others that you have skillsets that may translate well into Ministerial jobs or other branches (e.g. being a Justice).
  • Firstly, running in elections is a great experience and gives you a taste of political life in Europeia. Secondly, it brings you to the attention of the rest of the region and makes your political leanings and objectives known. Thirdly, it's good to be ambitious from early on and running for - and potentially getting into - the Senate is a great opportunity to learn.
  • They shouldn't. I know no one else thinks this, but besides showing where they are in their understanding of the region, which is something that should be held off for 3 or 4 months, there is no benefit. We always claim there is and act like new people gain something or add something by running in elections right away, but neither is true.
  • They should learn the process before running.
  • To be frank, they shouldn't. It's a lot of work and requires an understanding of our laws and how the region works. The Senate shouldn't be seen as an opportunity for career advancement, but a service to the Republic.
  • Even if they don't win a seat, running for Senate allows newcomers to showcase their ideas, thoughts, and personalities to the general public.
  • They shouldn't.
  • They are fresh and enthusiastic towards being productive.
  • Yes, 100%

NON-SENATORS

Yes = 5
No = 13

If yes, how would you describe your Senate campaign? What advice would you give to those considering their first run for the Senate?
  • Just be honest and transparent. Don't run if you don't know why you want to run.
  • Be ready to take hard and serious questions. You should be able to read legislation.
  • I dropped out.
  • Senate campaigning is a lot of sharing your stances and debating them with voters. If you can take a stance and make sense debating it, you have a good chance in Europeia.
  • I was new, so theres not that much I can say.
What questions do you have about running for Senate (or any other office) in Europeia?
  • Is being a Senator harder than being a cabinet Minister?
  • How do i run and successful campaign and how do i know the internal issues affecting Europeia
  • Should I even bother trying to stick my foot in the revolving door of elites who have all been here for almost a decade?
  • Exactly how do you get started? Perhaps you had the experience, all of the qualifications, but never the chance to redeem yourself?

ELECTIONS

What do you look for in platforms when determining who to vote for in a Senate election?
  • Ability to argue their point, reason, and activity
  • Trustworthiness, competence, commitment
  • People who support CARP, and actually know what they are talking about :p
  • For the legislation/amendments they propose, I want to make sure they know what they are talking about.
  • A clear understanding of what they know and what they don't know. And if they are new and "don't know" a lot, a clear plan for learning more and developing as a Senator, if elected. There are some individuals in Europeia that are obvious "elect if standing" - but that group has grown smaller over the years. If I'm voting for an unknown, I like to know that they have a plan and a process in mind to improve as a Senator over the course of their term.
  • Whether the person understands the laws, and can recognize what is and is not an issue.
  • Quality, grammar, opinions, ideas.
  • An understanding of legal issues in more experienced members, and a willingness to learn in newer members.
  • Confidence, coherence and understanding
  • The popularity and manifesto of the contestant
  • I look at their ideas, see what they'd like todo if they're in office. I also look at experience, but having been in Europeia for over a year now, I can usually recognize names that I've worked with in the past.
  • Stances
  • commpetance, some legal experience
  • Is the platform similar to my views.
  • Policies, key changes to be made, basic understanding of Europeian law and the current affairs of the Senate
  • I just want to see that they understand the current issues and can at least attempt to come up with a new idea or two.
  • An understanding of the laws and their implications currently on the floor. The way they answer questions and address concerns in the platforms also matter greatly to me.
  • A good understanding of the issues facing the region; well thought-out positions and ideas; a lack of empty rhetoric; and enthusiasm for the job.
  • I believe it is important for a candidate to be straightforward and not fall back not their word. If they say they're going to do something to improve Europeia, they need to do it!
  • Understanding of legal interpretation, how to legislate, and the region itself. That common bad newcomer ideas are good indicators because they tell you who doesn't know the region.
  • Good ideas
  • I don't care so much about their personality. I only look that they have an original idea and respond to questions sufficiently.
  • Good ideas
  • I like to look for the person who looks to be the best for the position.
  • Views I agree with and experience
  • Progressive ideas and energy
  • Competence
  • Loopholes, experience, and plan of action.
  • Mostly what they feel like they can contribute to the senate and what problems they think they can fix if there are any at all with Europeia's current legislation.
What changes, if any, would you like to see done to how elections are conducted in Europeia?
  • I strongly dislike joke campaigns.
  • Nein
  • Less joke platforms and joke campaigns.
  • Private vote tallies.
  • Hide the polls until the election ends.
  • None, although I'd like to see the timing language in the elections act cleaned up.
  • None for now
  • I would like to see at least 1 or 2 Senate seats added. We have seen an influx of legislators, and I would like to see a mix of veteran, experienced, and newcomer Senators in the 56th Senate.
  • PR (Proportional Representation)
  • Nothing comes to mind
  • I would like to see: more debating; more media coverage (e.g. interviews of candidates and news reports / opinion pieces); and a greater variety of political positions among candidates.
  • I cannot think of anything that needs improvements in our election system.
  • Frankly, I'm not sure we need to be electing a Senate every 70 days anymore. The Senate is largely upkeep and fixing work and it may be best served from longer terms or perhaps a whole new model such as the self-electing model that was proposed once in the past. I'm not sure exactly where it needs to go, but we clearly need to evolve to adapt with the realities of a less important Senate and growing my important executive that we have failed to adapt to for years.
  • They should last longer. Some people have actual jobs and shit to do that takes more than 24 hours. If I'm out in the woods doing work I could miss the entire thing.
  • Nothing
  • I don't think there needs to be any changes.
  • None
  • Honestly, I'd just like to see it be more "citizen friendly" The elections are highly intimidating to some folks. People WANT to get involved. But, they see all these old members with so much experience and think they don't have a chance. I don't know if that could be fixed, but eh you never know.
  • I would like to see that people have to vote before they can see the current results of the way people have voted because I think that it can really change how newcomers especially vote.
Any final comments?
  • #aditya4senate :p (joke)
  • Down with CARP.
  • Mousepoll bestpoll
  • I am willing to serve the region in the senate and in other capacities but i do not know how to achieve all this
  • I wish all the candidates the best of luck.
  • None
  • I am eager to see how this election goes!
  • I already asked about the Senate, but I think I'll ask about the region in general now. Is it even worth my time to try and find a job here when there is always going to be someone who has been here longer and has more friends in high places ready to take any available position?
  • Aex 4 Prez
  • Productivity!

I'd be extremely interested to see the Senators address some of the comments in this poll and the one done by The Lens.

In case it wasn't obvious, my question about the joke campaigns in platforms was inspired by the responses here in this poll. :)

I don't understand the person talk I mg about elites being here for a decade, none of our elected officials have been here nearly that long and if you look at recent Senate's and even the cabinet many of these people are rather new to Euro. The bottom line is most of the older people in the region seem to be pulling back, but it's still a slow process to go from being a fresh face to being someone that is automatically seen as a legitimate candidate for a position without convincing first. I think we've clearly failed over and over to bridge the gap, but it's been proven over the years that new faces can see success.

I'll add on to that discussion above. Europeia is, most definitely, a meritocracy. You get what you get by showing up and putting in the grunt work. You want help writing your platform or finding a way to get involved? Ask questions! Seek out a mentor! I've been mentored by some Europeians, and I've paid it forward and done some mentoring of my own.

I get that things can be intimidating, and despite the tough questions I've been asking of some of the newcomers that have run for Senate, I respect them for putting their names out there and posting a platform and answering questions. It's not easy, and some of them are definitely showing that they're not quite ready for Senate (yet), but - if they aren't elected - I hope that they reach out to one or more of the elected Senators and pick their brain on how things are going so they can be more ready for the next round of elections. And, of course, I hope that the new CA Mentorship program that Calvin talked up in his Chair platform comes to fruition.

That's rambly, but my point is this, to quote Andy from The West Wing: "You say you want to be involved. It doesn't come with an invitation. You involve yourself or you don't."

Mousebumples said:
I'll add on to that discussion above. Europeia is, most definitely, a meritocracy. You get what you get by showing up and putting in the grunt work. You want help writing your platform or finding a way to get involved? Ask questions! Seek out a mentor! I've been mentored by some Europeians, and I've paid it forward and done some mentoring of my own.

I get that things can be intimidating, and despite the tough questions I've been asking of some of the newcomers that have run for Senate, I respect them for putting their names out there and posting a platform and answering questions. It's not easy, and some of them are definitely showing that they're not quite ready for Senate (yet), but - if they aren't elected - I hope that they reach out to one or more of the elected Senators and pick their brain on how things are going so they can be more ready for the next round of elections. And, of course, I hope that the new CA Mentorship program that Calvin talked up in his Chair platform comes to fruition.

That's rambly, but my point is this, to quote Andy from The West Wing: "You say you want to be involved. It doesn't come with an invitation. You involve yourself or you don't."
Seriously, this ^ should be pinned somewhere in the newcomer's handbook.

I was the one that said you have to vote before you can see the results because it can influence the way that people vote.

I said that because that was the way that I voted in my first presidential election. I really didn't know what either candidates were standing for and the things that I did know I didn't understand what they meant. I just decided to vote for WL and Calvin over Mc and Brun because at the time WL had more votes and I wanted to back the winning candidate; if I had known what each stood for then I might have voted for Mc, who knows?.

Now I know my experience won't be the same as every newcomer's because it won't, but I understand the mentality of "I want to be able to say I supported the winner" bevause we want to be able to justify the way that we voted and I wouldn't judge any new person that voted for the person with the most votes, because I did and I'm sure that many others have. But if we force these people to have to vote first then we would encourage them to go and look at their platform and see what people have said and at the end of the day you want an informed voter rather than one that is following the pack.

I also meant to say in my answer but I forgot to, I would make it so that you're not allowed to discuss the current amount of votes in the voting thread.

zapper said:
I was the one that said you have to vote before you can see the results because it can influence the way that people vote.

I said that because that was the way that I voted in my first presidential election. I really didn't know what either candidates were standing for and the things that I did know I didn't understand what they meant. I just decided to vote for WL and Calvin over Mc and Brun because at the time WL had more votes and I wanted to back the winning candidate; if I had known what each stood for then I might have voted for Mc, who knows?.

Now I know my experience won't be the same as every newcomer's because it won't, but I understand the mentality of "I want to be able to say I supported the winner" bevause we want to be able to justify the way that we voted and I wouldn't judge any new person that voted for the person with the most votes, because I did and I'm sure that many others have. But if we force these people to have to vote first then we would encourage them to go and look at their platform and see what people have said and at the end of the day you want an informed voter rather than one that is following the pack.

I also meant to say in my answer but I forgot to, I would make it so that you're not allowed to discuss the current amount of votes in the voting thread.
I agree, the snowball effect is real.

Out of curiosity, re: the snowball effect -

How (if at all) do you think that plays out when we have super-close Presidential elections? (i.e. Calvin and anyone, basically :p ... or even Kraken/NK) Do you think newcomers would want to vote by the individual that is winning by 1 vote ? Or is the "desire to vote for the winner" more difficult to do since it's so close that you don't know how the vote will turn out?

Thanks for the response, Zapper. :)

Mousebumples said:

How (if at all) do you think that plays out when we have super-close Presidential elections? (i.e. Calvin and anyone, basically :p ... or even Kraken/NK) Do you think newcomers would want to vote by the individual that is winning by 1 vote ? Or is the "desire to vote for the winner" more difficult to do since it's so close that you don't know how the vote will turn out?
I think that when it comes down to a close vote the "snowball effect" is even more prevalent because you know that your vote can make such a difference.

Mousebumples said:

I will always vote to either create a tie or whatever makes the lead person drop below 50%. This ensures that we will have more eyes on europeia. More eyes means a higher chance of posting which means the community can move a little forward because of the addition to the regional conversation.

Back