Catching up with Thomas Masterson

I got the chance to sit down with Junior Senator Thomas Masterson this week, and this will mark the relaunch of Catching Up.

Tell me about your NS History. Where did you get started? When?

I originally dabbled in the game in late 2006, but it was very off and on. My first true beginning came in November 2008 when I joined The United Kingdom, and was appointed the Minister of Defence. The rest is history, it was the launchpad of my NationStates life and career. From there I went on further into the game. Politics, role playing, making friends, and at one point was part of the Windsor family, but briefly.

Alright, Have you been/are you now involved with any other regions? Do you/ had you hold/held any leadership positions?

I was involved in The United Kingdom, England, Equinox/Crusaders of Justice, Hampshire, The United Federation. The only leadership positions I've held were Minister positions which include Defence, Intelligence, and Culture.

Tell us a little about your History in Euro!

After the fall of The United Kingdom, I was swayed by my friend PASD to come here. After going back and forth with myself on the decision I finally showed up. For a while, however, I was not involved with the region itself, but rather the general and spam sections, mainly just being sociable. Only recently did I decide to take a more active role in the region.

We know that you were a citizen of TUK during some unfortunate events. For those who were not a part of NS at that time or don’t know what really happened there, can you briefly explain what happened?

To briefly put it, former King George decided he wanted his old power back. He neglected our Constitution, dethroned PASD, banned anyone who spoke out against him, and dragged in people to assume the roles. Destroying the region and the spirit of those who lived there. He did this twice.

You’ve claimed to not be perfect in this Senate term, what did you mean by that? Can we expect an active senator in you?

No one is perfect. We're all human. That and this is my first time as a senator, so I'm bound to make some errors, it should be expected of anyone. I would put blame on real life, I come home from work tired, misread some things, say the wrong thing, it can and has happened to anyone. But I don't think it's a long-term affect, nor would it inhibit me from properly exercising my duties as a senator.

You can expect a very active senator in me. I'm eager to finish the reforms and move on to more legislative matters, as well as go over other filed bills that I think should be brought back for discussion.

You’ve only been on the job for a few days, but how are you enjoying it?

I enjoy it very much. I'm proud to be doing the job, representing the people. I'm very thankful that I was considered enough to be voted into such a rewarding job. I couldn't be happier.

Tell us about yourself in RL!

I'm an EMT, worked on an ambulance, now I work in a hospital. Working on getting my ass into the Navy for a few years. I play bass guitar and enjoy reading Tom Clancy books.

How about a little secret?

Wouldn't be a secret then.
:p

Thank you for the great interview piece JGlenn!

Interesting to read - Thomas, if you read this bit over, do you think the events in TUK put you off getting involved in politics again? Also, come on.... I wanna hear a secret! :p

Back