Calvin Coolidge Resigns Presidency Amid Controversy

Calvin Coolidge Resigns Presidency Amid Controversy
By Deepest House

(Europeia – May 14, 2017) – President Calvin Coolidge resigned his office today in an announcement from the Goldenblock, the official residence of the president. His vice president, Darcness, immediately assumed the presidency and was sworn in. Calvin Coolidge’s resignation came as his administration faced increasing scrutiny regarding his handling of former citizen Trinnien’s alleged disclosure of classified information. Minister of Culture Sopo also resigned in the final hours leading up to Calvin’s departure from office.

“Over the last month, it has become increasingly apparent to both myself and the region at large that I have not been able to meet the demands of the Europeian Presidency,” the former president said in his statement. “To ensure that this region gets the leadership it deserves, I am resigning from my position as President, effective immediately.”

Calvin Coolidge discussed various challenges negatively impacting his ability to carry out his duties, which mostly related to real life concerns. He will maintain a light work schedule in the region going forward.

“I will continue in my role as the EBC Wire's chief operator, as that requires very little time, and is one of the few things I have been able to keep up with, even during this intense period of my life,” he said. “Aside from that, you may see me in the Shrine of Swift, or doing occasional Assistant Minister work, but my days of heavy lifting are on hiatus until further notice.”

In recent days, pressure concerning the handling of Trinnien’s alleged disclosure of classified information increased tremendously. At the start of this term, Director of the Europeian Intelligence Agency (EIA) North East Somerset informed the newly inaugurated president that the EIA had evidence that Trinnien leaked classified information from the External Affairs Advisory Council. Calvin Coolidge dropped Trinnien from consideration for a cabinet post, explaining the reason to him as the allegations put forth by the EIA but without providing details. Trinnien subsequently resigned his position as World Assembly Delegate and later his citizenship from the region.

Calvin Coolidge’s resignation also comes on the heels of a pair of poor polling results. An EBC poll indicated he enjoyed a mere 26 percent approval rating, with 35 percent indicating disapproval. A recent poll by the Europeian News Network, one of the region’s most important private news outlets, reported widespread support for potentially recalling Calvin Coolidge from office.

“It'd be interesting to see how much impact the Trinnien controversy had on his terrible approval rating over the first half of the term,” said Kaboom. The idea of a recall seemed a bit much for Senator Cerian Quilor. “I did not expect this much support for a recall over this,” he said. “Much as I think Cal dropped the ball, hard, it’s a little much to crucify him over this, no?” he asked.

Immediately, speculation began to turn toward President Darcness and his next moves. “I do not envy the position Darcness finds himself in; he’s come up to the presidency in the midst of a rough term, he has to find himself a VP and a culture minister,” said XIV after news of the resignation broke. The new president is expected to address the region soon, which will presumably include his nomination for vice president.

While some in the region acknowledged the inevitability of the resignation, Calvin enjoyed widespread support and appreciation for his efforts in the region since his arrival. “Your candor here is admirable,” said Senator McEntire. “The region is better for having you as a public servant, and I think we all look forward to the time when you can serve again.”

“Mr. President, I hope you will not mistake criticism of this term as total disrespect for the work you have conducted over the course of your long and distinguished career,” added Europeia founder and former supreme chancellor, HEM. “Thank you for your service, and hopefully for the service that is yet to come.”

Malshaan congratulated Calvin for his courage to resign when he did, noting the difficulty to make this decision when he did. “It is an honorable thing to do to step aside when you realize you cannot give the job the attention it deserves. I look forward to seeing what the remainder of the term brings.”

Darcness ascends to the presidency as one of the most inexperienced to hold the office in recent memory. With a term as minister of communications and a term as vice president under his belt, Darcness comes into office without the broad resume of Calvin or his predecessors.

Darcness enters the office with a full plate of tasks ahead. His first order of business will be fill the void created by his ascension to the presidency. After nominating a potential vice president, he must turn his attention to the vacancy in the Ministry of Culture after Sopo announced his resignation today.

With half the term remaining, Europeia’s new president faces significant challenges. The public will certainly have their eyes on Darcness as he completes this term. There is already speculation that he had planned his own run for president after this term prior to being thrust in the role today.

Thank you, Deepest House. These recent events have been so unfortunate. I hope we'll be able to establish more stability and less controversy in the near future...

Nice read, Deepest House! It is a sad thing that Calvin had to resign. I have derived some points from your article for publishing my article in the Europeian Chatterbox. The article can be found here: Here
I have given the credit to you. I hope it is OK with you

I'm surprised the response to Calvin's speech has been so positive. His reasons for stepping down were foreseeable several weeks ago; why did he spend so much time seeking an office he should have known he could not faithfully discharge? And he still has not spoken about his actions that caused a prominent citizen to leave the region.

Calvin is a good guy who has served the region with distinction in the past, but neither his performance this term nor his resignation speech reflects well on him.

Probably because of the Cult of Positivity that permeates everything these days, on and offline.

Cerian Quilor said:
Probably because of the Cult of Positivity that permeates everything these days, on and offline.
"Cult of positivity"? We all know Calvin messed up and shouldn't have sought the Presidency if he couldn't faithfully execute the office. There were multiple polls that came out and headlines slamming his job approval. We all know what the problems were, and he knows. In his speech that he gave on the way out, I think many of us wanted to honor his past service to the region, both to show him that we appreciate the work he's done and to start the new President's term on a positive note. At least, that's why I had nice words for Calvin. At the end of the day, beating up on him isn't going to accomplish anything. And if you took a poll on his job approval right now, I bet you'd get the same numbers you did before. The region doesn't suddenly approve of him because we didn't kick him while he was down.

Maybe it's because I'm a southerner, but there's nothing wrong with being kind. We can be nice and kind and say good things, but if he tries to run for President again, that might be hard for him until he rehabs his image. There's nothing wrong with positivity.

McEntire said:
Cerian Quilor said:
"Cult of positivity"? We all know Calvin messed up and shouldn't have sought the Presidency if he couldn't faithfully execute the office. There were multiple polls that came out and headlines slamming his job approval. We all know what the problems were, and he knows. In his speech that he gave on the way out, I think many of us wanted to honor his past service to the region, both to show him that we appreciate the work he's done and to start the new President's term on a positive note. At least, that's why I had nice words for Calvin. At the end of the day, beating up on him isn't going to accomplish anything. And if you took a poll on his job approval right now, I bet you'd get the same numbers you did before. The region doesn't suddenly approve of him because we didn't kick him while he was down.

Maybe it's because I'm a southerner, but there's nothing wrong with being kind. We can be nice and kind and say good things, but if he tries to run for President again, that might be hard for him until he rehabs his image. There's nothing wrong with positivity.
Positivity can coexist with accountability.

I thought CSP's comment on Calvin's speech cut to the heart of the matter -- the words "I'm sorry" were conspicuously missing from that speech. Because let's face it: Calvin wasted the better part of this term, but not without doing some serious damage along the way. Had he expressed contrition, I would be the first to say we should forgive and focus on his estimable contributions to the region over time. Absent that contrition, however, I thought the outpouring of positive feelings was a bit much.

Unlike you, I am a northerner. We can be a bit gruff at times, but you do tend to know where you stand with people, which is more than I can say for the "bless your heart"* culture of the South. No one wants to see Europeia regress to where it was 6-7 years ago, but I do think we've swung too far, to the point that being polite is seen as more important than being right. That's probably true in case of a marriage, but if that's how we're going to treat our elected leaders, that's a problem.

*- For our citizens from outside North America who might not get the reference, there's an old joke that "bless your heart" is Southern for "go f--k yourself."

Skizzy Grey said:
Unlike you, I am a northerner. We can be a bit gruff at times, but you do tend to know where you stand with people, whichis more than I can say for the "bless your heart"* culture of the South. No one wants to see Europeia regress to where it was 6-7 years ago, but I do think we've swung too far, to the point that being polite is seen as more important than being right. That's probably true in case of a marriage, but if that's how we're going to treat our elected leaders, that's a problem.
No one expressed anything but luck going forward in that thread, and thankfulness for Calvin's past service. I found it appropriate. Maybe we are too polite now on the whole, but I don't make a habit out of discouraging positivity. And I see this as less a case of unwarranted positivity and more a case of there being a place and time for everything. From my perspective, and I think the perspective of many others, a farewell speech is not the right time to "hold someone accountable". Calvin's troubles are well-publicized, and no one in that thread excused the term he had.

Confirmed: "bless your heart" is probably the shadiest thing you can say to someone in the American South. Although some of my fellow Texans would object to being called Southerners at all.

There is still a difference between holding your tongue for the sake of politeness, and holding your tongue because our region as a whole has taken to blowing sunshine up people's asses and scorning those who don't.

There is definitely a cult of positivity, here in Europeia and in the real world, and it gets tiresome af sometimes. All things said and done, I agree that Calvin's farewell speech wasn't the place to do it - no sense kicking a man when he's down - but that cult exists

First Off - Great Article DH, very solid read and I have been very impressed with the quality of work lately. Keep it up!

Secondly - I think some credit needs to be given to Calvin for acknowledging his faults, his lack of ability, and deciding to resign for the good of the region. Yes, if you knew these things ahead of time, it would have been unwise to run. But when it comes to graduating and the job market, I can personally attest that it tends to be a real eye-opener. I fully expected to get a job within two months of graduating, I was unemployed for NINE, and I was working at a gas station by the end of it. It is not unusual to be blindsided by the process.

There is a certain hubris involved in running for President to start with, but I think it is perfectly human and forgivable to think one can handle both the RL and Euro responsibilities. He was wrong, and there were consequences. But I will give the man credit for recognizing he was wrong and stepping aside. He has done a lot of good work here, and I personally wish him the best in his tough RL endeavors and await his return to Euro in full force. There is no benefit to crucifying him when he is trying to do the right thing. Let's move on.

Mr. Verteger said:
There is no benefit to crucifying him when he is trying to do the right thing. Let's move on.
Anddd there it is. Asking that we not give presidents participation trophies is comparable to crucifixion. This is what we're talking about. Ya'll need to stop doing this now.

A bit of hyperbole on my part, but I still don't see the benefit in piling on. It's not like he wasn't ultimately going to be held accountable: we were planning impeachment hearings after the Speaker vote before we learned he was resigning.

Deepest House said:
Skizzy is the worst kind of yankee…the dreaded Masshole.
Watch it. You can only shit on Massachusetts if you're from New Hampshire. Skizzy, slow down on I-93, ya' fuckin' prick.

Spent time as a kid at Pease Air Force Base as a kid growing up, in Portsmouth. Fox Run Mall for life!

I earned the right!

Deepest House said:
Spent time as a kid at Pease Air Force Base as a kid growing up, in Portsmouth. Fox Run Mall for life!

I earned the right!
Shout out to the 509th Bomb Wing.

My dad flew tankers, KC-135 air refuelers.

As they said, "Fighters and bombers can't kick ass without tanker gas!"

Back