Bye-Bye Recruitment Scripts

[centre]
An NS Debate
From the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation, one of Europeia’s premier Media groups.
Keeping Europeians and the world informed since 2009.

Bye-Bye Recruitment Scripts
More Flip-Flops Than A Magikarp Fighting On Land

[Violet] Banishes Scripters From Her Classroom[/centre]

Violet - Tuesday 21st February said:
Point #2: There is an ideal level of TG recruiting. (I'm thinking it's somewhere in the vicinity of four recruitment TGs for a new nation
Sedgistan - Sunday 22nd April said:
FYI, nations being created now are receiving about 15 recruitment messages. That's only going to increase with the script that Auralia has just posted. You can't claim that has ended the debate here.

Is this comment made by long-term Game Moderator Sedgistan the catalyst that has seen another rule change to the use of Scripted TGs? The debate never died down, it never stopped and opponents of the change in rules of scripting finally heard what they wanted from day one:

Violet - Monday 23rd April said:
So this is a heads-up that we are likely to have to ban auto-TG scripts again.
About six months ago the rules changed and allowed scripts to send 3 telegrams per minute leading to their wide-spread use for recruitment-type messages and to convince people to join their regions. Numerous pages on NationStates have been written arguing both sides of their use - and the issue has seen previous opponents come in agreement over their future. Originally the use of auto-TGs was opened up to allowed the new Telegram system NationStates has been designing to be tested. However, with further set-backs to the implementation to it, the rules have been changed yet-again and this trial period of Recruitment Scripts stopped.

So, what does this mean for Europeia and the wider NationStates world? Well Europeia has, and always will have, a strong team of people who are devoted to recruiting manually and with the software. So expect to see an announcement soon with changes to the MSA to reflect the need for manual recruiting again. For the wider NationStates world? Well the fair-play field of scripting will come to an end and smaller regions, without a team of devoted recruiters, will start to haemorrhage members.

However, this debate is far from over.

Written By Vinage

I've been dabbling with the idea of making mandatory service for all citizens..

I'm sure the opponents of that would voice their opinion. Sounds like something I wouldn't go for.

I'm sure the opponents of that would voice their opinion. Sounds like something I wouldn't go for.
It's actually an ancient debate. I would want to expand it, to say the least...

But that's for the policymakers to decide.

I'm more excited to see the debate between MRA supporters and detractors finally come to a head. With no MSA or MRA, we have an opportunity to decide whether or not fully voluntary recruitment efforts are sustainable.
Mandatory Recruitment at most supports a stable population. The region needs massive voluntary recruitment to keep growing, however I am still in favor of mandatory recruitment because it is always a method on which the region can fall back on when the will to recruit is not existent.

I'm more excited to see the debate between MRA supporters and detractors finally come to a head. With no MSA or MRA, we have an opportunity to decide whether or not fully voluntary recruitment efforts are sustainable.
Mandatory Recruitment at most supports a stable population. The region needs massive voluntary recruitment to keep growing, however I am still in favor of mandatory recruitment because it is always a method on which the region can fall back on when the will to recruit is not existent.
I think Indycar has a valid point here.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

That is all.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

That is all.
I have to agree with Sopo here.

I think we should create a culture of service, and reward service more, and so on, but mandatory service from the rank and file citizens? Not the best of ideas.

Service to the region should be done because a citizen wants to and not because they have to. It's what separates the herd.

It's always nice to know what people are willing to do.

man, if you start making me do actual work when I come here; I might come here more often. :lol:

^ultimate argument against.

man, if you start making me do actual work when I come here; I might come here more often. :lol:

^ultimate argument against.
Doing work will make you more active? I rest my case. :)
actually, being forced to work as a citizen would make me far less active. It was a joke.
Right. Of course. Why didn't I pick up on that? Anyways glad to see we're on the same side... lol

Then what? Strip citizenship from 80-90% of the community when they just don't do it? Silliness.

I've always supported the MRA and would have supported a better constructed MSA. We'll see if my mind can be changed in the coming weeks.

Then what? Strip citizenship from 80-90% of the community when they just don't do it? Silliness.

I've always supported the MRA and would have supported a better constructed MSA. We'll see if my mind can be changed in the coming weeks.
My main objection with the MSA is that Senators are elected to legislate, not to write ten EBC articles a week. They should first and foremost be legislators, and I think there are better ways of encouraging service than a points system like this.

For example, I'd encourage every Senator to be a Junior Minister as well, and every Cabinet Minister to be either a City Councillor or a JM in another department. It broadens their scope without being a chore, as such.

I'd also tighten up activity requirements.

I always understood why we needed the MRA, and so I didn't have a problem with it. The MSA is, I feel, more trying to fill a gap which didn't need to be filled.

On the whole, "mandatory" is one of my least favorite words and one of the reasons I hate the government. I think we really should just see how things go for a few weeks without bringing back "mandatory."

On the whole, "mandatory" is one of my least favorite words and one of the reasons I hate the government. I think we really should just see how things go for a few weeks without bringing back "mandatory."
We're going to. If the Senate gets uppity, I'll show 'em what's what. :p

We're going to. If the Senate gets uppity, I'll show 'em what's what. :p
You tell 'em. No good rotten scoundrels, they be. :p

Back