Bye-Bye Recruitment Scripts

[centre]
An NS Debate
From the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation, one of Europeia’s premier Media groups.
Keeping Europeians and the world informed since 2009.

Bye-Bye Recruitment Scripts
More Flip-Flops Than A Magikarp Fighting On Land

[Violet] Banishes Scripters From Her Classroom[/centre]

Violet - Tuesday 21st February said:
Point #2: There is an ideal level of TG recruiting. (I'm thinking it's somewhere in the vicinity of four recruitment TGs for a new nation
Sedgistan - Sunday 22nd April said:
FYI, nations being created now are receiving about 15 recruitment messages. That's only going to increase with the script that Auralia has just posted. You can't claim that has ended the debate here.

Is this comment made by long-term Game Moderator Sedgistan the catalyst that has seen another rule change to the use of Scripted TGs? The debate never died down, it never stopped and opponents of the change in rules of scripting finally heard what they wanted from day one:

Violet - Monday 23rd April said:
So this is a heads-up that we are likely to have to ban auto-TG scripts again.
About six months ago the rules changed and allowed scripts to send 3 telegrams per minute leading to their wide-spread use for recruitment-type messages and to convince people to join their regions. Numerous pages on NationStates have been written arguing both sides of their use - and the issue has seen previous opponents come in agreement over their future. Originally the use of auto-TGs was opened up to allowed the new Telegram system NationStates has been designing to be tested. However, with further set-backs to the implementation to it, the rules have been changed yet-again and this trial period of Recruitment Scripts stopped.

So, what does this mean for Europeia and the wider NationStates world? Well Europeia has, and always will have, a strong team of people who are devoted to recruiting manually and with the software. So expect to see an announcement soon with changes to the MSA to reflect the need for manual recruiting again. For the wider NationStates world? Well the fair-play field of scripting will come to an end and smaller regions, without a team of devoted recruiters, will start to haemorrhage members.

However, this debate is far from over.

Written By Vinage

CHANGE BAD.

Just as bad now as it was then. Get your **** together, NationStates admin.
I don't know about all that. Like Vinage said, we have a lot of people here that would be willing to do it manually I'm sure. This is also a way to be a little more personal about it. I doubt we'd suffer that majorly if this change did take affect. We aren't one of those small regions after all.

CHANGE BAD.

I don't know about all that. Like Vinage said, we have a lot of people here that would be willing to do it manually I'm sure. This is also a way to be a little more personal about it. I doubt we'd suffer that majorly if this change did take affect. We aren't one of those small regions after all.
I don't follow.

Is the change good for Europeia? Is it really?

It's change. Enough said.

The changeable nature of this issue does make me wonder if that is why the NS Admin have kept the 'Factbook' feature in beta and not announced to the general public

CHANGE BAD.

I don't follow.

Is the change good for Europeia? Is it really?

It's change. Enough said.
Yes. It is neither good nor bad for us. It's just change that we have to adjust to.

We certainly have more to gain, because our # of potential recruiters (ie members) is much higher than that of other regions. I would have preferred the rule to shift when we were still at 1900, but such is life :p

Oh boy...maybe this will get rid of the Mandatory Service and bring back a certain Act that I repealed when I was Vice President :lol:

Oh boy...maybe this will get rid of the Mandatory Service and bring back a certain Act that I repealed when I was Vice President :lol:
EBC Exclusive: Europeia starts repealing legislation quicker than the World Assembly :p

I always enjoyed using the software. Looks like we are going to have to bring back the Ministry of Interior...

The change in of itself isn't terrible, but whole regions have readjusted themselves because of the scripts.

Change this frequent is not good. NS does need to get its shit together.

I think what happened is that NS admins underestimated the amount of time that this "spammageddon" was going to take to arrive. It was used partly as a testbed for the new TG system, for how recruiting within that was going to work, and to be quite frank, it failed - because the failures of the current TG system were still there. I knew this would happen. The longer we all waited for it to happen, the worse it was going to be for everyone to readjust.

I fought like heck for this change - and I'm glad that it's happened. Now we just all have to adjust to going back to manual recruitment.

2 notes though vinage, one, [v] misjudged the amount of time it was in her post - it's actually been around 3 months. 2, sedge is by no means a long-time GM - he was GMed around 150 days ago (by the TRR delegate history, as he had to resign that to become GM).

Ahhhh I did think it was a bit of a quick 6 months but I took her word over the facts. She's all powerful like that :p

He's long term in how.... active he is? :unsure:

I fought like heck for this change - and I'm glad that it's happened. Now we just all have to adjust to going back to manual recruitment.
I'd just like to point out that while it's all well and good for regions that once did manual recruitment but now use an auto-script to readjust, it's going to be quite a bit more difficult for newer regions populated almost exclusively by newer people who have never manually recruited to make the adjustment. I wonder if the NS admins gave those regions any consideration when they were listening to those who "fought like heck for this change" and are "glad that it's happened."

Don't get me wrong, I think there has always been some merit to the argument that auto-recruitment is unfair and detrimental to the game. But I think it's equally unfair and detrimental to the game for the admins to abruptly spring this change on regions that rely on auto-recruitment. I'd like to tell Violet exactly what she can do with her auto-recruitment ban.

The changeable nature of this issue does make me wonder if that is why the NS Admin have kept the 'Factbook' feature in beta and not announced to the general public
Uh, there's a multi-page topic (ARE YOU HAPPY HY? ARE YOU? :angry: ) in Factbooks and National Information... it's pretty public.

I fought like heck for this change - and I'm glad that it's happened.  Now we just all have to adjust to going back to manual recruitment.
I'd just like to point out that while it's all well and good for regions that once did manual recruitment but now use an auto-script to readjust, it's going to be quite a bit more difficult for newer regions populated almost exclusively by newer people who have never manually recruited to make the adjustment. I wonder if the NS admins gave those regions any consideration when they were listening to those who "fought like heck for this change" and are "glad that it's happened."

Don't get me wrong, I think there has always been some merit to the argument that auto-recruitment is unfair and detrimental to the game. But I think it's equally unfair and detrimental to the game for the admins to abruptly spring this change on regions that rely on auto-recruitment. I'd like to tell Violet exactly what she can do with her auto-recruitment ban.
Well they can use all their lovely new members to recruit manually then.

Well they can use all their lovely new members to recruit manually then.
It's not that I'm saying this change should never happen, I'm saying it would have been nice to have some notice -- or if this was the notice, it would be nice if Violet would tell us exactly when the ban will be enacted. Believe it or not, introducing manual recruitment into a region that has never manually recruited and to a bunch of newbies who don't know how to do it isn't easy. We haven't all been around for five years. A little notice would be nice.

Back