Automatic Recruitment

[centre]
An NS Debate
From the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation, one of Europeia’s premier Media groups.
Keeping Europeians and the world informed since 2009.[/center]

Automatic Recruitment?
Now Comes In A Free For All Variety

Typical Script-Developers Workstation[/centre]
Over two months ago [violet] announced changes to the rules on recruitment scripts and, since, NationStates has been in a bitter clash of words. We all know the story so I won’t be telling you all about the backstory. Let’s just say people said those who complained about it were because they didn’t have one and it would change their opinion if they had one. So, two months on, what’s changed?

Well, to start, pressure was put on some coders to release a ‘free-to-access’ version and which they did. The availability of a ‘free-to-access’ script has led to the argument that it is unfair on regions who don’t have the time to develop one has become null and void. While some will not know how to implement it, there is support out there from professional coders who’ve given this gift to the NationStates population which, also, casts aside those arguments. Furthermore, many manual recruiters across Nationstates have since given up, as can be seen here, and taken to using a script or attempting to run a script with the new ‘free-to-access’ ones. You’d imagine that, with that, the debate would be over - scripts for all and recruit to your hearts content. Well, sadly, it isn’t that simple. Those who have disapproved point out that people now succeed without putting in any effort, while others point out by taking away the pressure of recruitment it has given them more time to make the game a better place for all. Well is that not what is more important and the overall aim of the new script rules? To give people who already spend a lot of time playing the game, more free time to start RPs, focus on their regions and other activities to retain players.

Some commenters on the negative use of scripts have pointed to the example of Europeia, noting that it has CTE’d a lot of nations in a short space of time. However what that particular commenter failed to take into account was the date of these nations, the fact that they would have CTE’d regardless of where they had gone and ultimately, that it was short-term growth and treated like that. So where have all the nations gone? Well instead of there being a focus on a few regions gaining nations via their personal efforts, we are seeing a small growth spread across nearly all of the regions who actively use a script.

So, is this a good thing? Should scripting be rewarded to regions who provide outstanding services to NationStates? What steps can we, Europeia, take to claw back some nations?

Written By Vinage

[centre]
An NS Debate
From the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation, one of Europeia’s premier Media groups.
Keeping Europeians and the world informed since 2009.[/center]

Automatic Recruitment?
Now Comes In A Free For All Variety

Typical Script-Developers Workstation[/centre]
Over two months ago [violet] announced changes to the rules on recruitment scripts and, since, NationStates has been in a bitter clash of words. We all know the story so I won’t be telling you all about the backstory. Let’s just say people said those who complained about it were because they didn’t have one and it would change their opinion if they had one. So, two months on, what’s changed?

Well, to start, pressure was put on some coders to release a ‘free-to-access’ version and which they did. The availability of a ‘free-to-access’ script has led to the argument that it is unfair on regions who don’t have the time to develop one has become null and void. While some will not know how to implement it, there is support out there from professional coders who’ve given this gift to the NationStates population which, also, casts aside those arguments. Furthermore, many manual recruiters across Nationstates have since given up, as can be seen here, and taken to using a script or attempting to run a script with the new ‘free-to-access’ ones. You’d imagine that, with that, the debate would be over - scripts for all and recruit to your hearts content. Well, sadly, it isn’t that simple. Those who have disapproved point out that people now succeed without putting in any effort, while others point out by taking away the pressure of recruitment it has given them more time to make the game a better place for all. Well is that not what is more important and the overall aim of the new script rules? To give people who already spend a lot of time playing the game, more free time to start RPs, focus on their regions and other activities to retain players.

Some commenters on the negative use of scripts have pointed to the example of Europeia, noting that it has CTE’d a lot of nations in a short space of time. However what that particular commenter failed to take into account was the date of these nations, the fact that they would have CTE’d regardless of where they had gone and ultimately, that it was short-term growth and treated like that. So where have all the nations gone? Well instead of there being a focus on a few regions gaining nations via their personal efforts, we are seeing a small growth spread across nearly all of the regions who actively use a script.

So, is this a good thing? Should scripting be rewarded to regions who provide outstanding services to NationStates? What steps can we, Europeia, take to claw back some nations?

Written By Vinage

I bet you that once NS incorporates its own recruiting script for everyone to use, that a lot of the people who spoke against the change in the first place will quietly begin using it.

The point is that there is a choice now, and the people who manually recruit have made that choice on their own. They don't really have much room to attack any region that has chosen to recruit via script.

And, that guy is a retard. Nations CTE every day in almost all regions of decent size, but I doubt I have to point that out to people here.

Henry said:
I bet you that once NS incorporates its own recruiting script for everyone to use, that a lot of the people who spoke against the change in the first place will quietly begin using it.

That has been suggested but there have been no comments made on this by the NSGods. Personally I would not want to see something like this but the new TG system that's been in the pipline for months is expected to filter Recruitment Messages into a special folder. That's the rumour anyway.

The point is that there is a choice now, and the people who manually recruit have made that choice on their own. They don't really have much room to attack any region that has chosen to recruit via script.

That exactly. The debate is no longer on the lines of Script vs. Non-Script but 'should the script be available to all and is it healthy for a new nation to get, on average, 6 TGs?

And, that guy is a retard. Nations CTE every day in almost all regions of decent size, but I doubt I have to point that out to people here.

Exactly that as well ^_^

Skizzy Grey said:
Good work, Vinage.

With a few minor edits, this is suitable for posting on the NS forums.

Thank you very much Mr. President. Admittedly I had this article in mind of not being posted on the NS forums as the content of this has been taken from posts already made on their forums. I can made the edits and post it though if you'd still like

Henry said:

That has been suggested but there have been no comments made on this by the NSGods. Personally I would not want to see something like this but the new TG system that's been in the pipline for months is expected to filter Recruitment Messages into a special folder. That's the rumour anyway.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.ph...503786#p8503786

edit: I followed that thread religiously while it was up.

Thank you very much Mr. President. Admittedly I had this article in mind of not being posted on the NS forums as the content of this has been taken from posts already made on their forums. I can made the edits and post it though if you'd still like

No, I trust your judgment -- if this will look like recycled material to regular readers of those forums, don't post it.

Several things:

1. It's not retarded (thanks Henry.) to say that scripts don't lead to stable growth. A look at the kiosk thing at the top of the screen proves that.

2. Either the person who released that script in that thread posted it wrong, or intentionally left things out, as it's not just a few people who have had problems with it.

3. Over two months ago [violet] announced changes to the rules on recruitment scripts and, since, NationStates has been in a bitter clash of words

"since then" > ", since,"

4. The person who started that thread, among others, are using scripts now, so any arguments about it being only people without scripts are stupid and wrong.

5. Glen-Rhodes is an ass.

Several things:

1. It's not retarded (thanks Henry.) to say that scripts don't lead to stable growth. A look at the kiosk thing at the top of the screen proves that.

2. Either the person who released that script in that thread posted it wrong, or intentionally left things out, as it's not just a few people who have had problems with it.

3. Over two months ago [violet] announced changes to the rules on recruitment scripts and, since, NationStates has been in a bitter clash of words

"since then" > ", since,"

4. The person who started that thread, among others, are using scripts now, so any arguments about it being only people without scripts are stupid and wrong.

5. Glen-Rhodes is an ass.
no, what I meant was that it was retarded to say that Europeia made those nations CTE due to recruiting them via the script.

Yeah, I do have to agree that that script is buggy. I tried following the directions and only succeeded in wasting time.

Why would people use scripts and then bash the scripts? They have a choice and they obviously chose to use the scripts for whatever reason. Nobody is forcing them to use scripts; if they don't like them then they don't have to use them.

The world is full of change; it isn't always change that people like. This is progress and honestly, if everyone is using the scripts, then it's basically the same as everyone avidly recruiting manually; and it offers a more level playing field. People don't come to Europeia because they chase the first telegram that enters their inbox; no they come here because of the quality of our recruitment message and the vigilance of our welcoming team. The sheer amount of messages we send out only increases our chances of getting people to come here; they don't necessarily stay or get active once they're here.

If people don't want to use the script, what's so hard about designing a good recruitment message and then have a team of people to manually recruit? Yeah, if you choose to recruit without a script, it will be a lot slower; but just because growth doesn't happen right away, or as fast as one would like it to, doesn't mean that it won't come to those who are patient. Most recruited nations CTE after 28-60 days, anyway.

I think they just want to grump about the scripts in general, which have been in NS since 2008; behind the scenes. I know people have been using autorecruiters in private when they think they can get away with it. If the effects of the past 4 years of technology hasn't ruined NS, then how can they say that this will? It gives people more of an equal chance to recruit.

I think they just want to grump about the scripts in general
I can't say about anyone else (aside from Abbey, who has said she doesn't have a problem with scripts used for other things and that they should be - or something to that extent), but I have no problem with scripts...

... mainly because they don't effect me, aside from whenever I make a new nation and raeg at recruitment message in all bold like i'm saying every word with added emphasis and severity because this is important dammit, but I can see why people would have a problem with recruitment scripts.

I think they just want to grump about the scripts in general
I can't say about anyone else (aside from Abbey, who has said she doesn't have a problem with scripts used for other things and that they should be - or something to that extent), but I have no problem with scripts...

... mainly because they don't effect me, aside from whenever I make a new nation and raeg at recruitment message in all bold like i'm saying every word with added emphasis and severity because this is important dammit, but I can see why people would have a problem with recruitment scripts.
It's been proven that bold text gains more citizens.

*provides supporting evidence*

UnibotII said:
That being said I wouldn't mind seeing a character cap and a garnish rule being applied to recruitment telegrams -- I think recruitment tgs are getting way out of hand... and sadly the ones that go over the top, like 10000 Islands' gigantic telegram ad or Region INC's BOLD BOLD BOLD seem to be effective ... but it squashes all the other telegrams visually out of the box unless people care to scroll down.

It's been proven that bold text gains more citizens.
You say that like it a) matters to me and b) isn't annoying.
You'd think, as a citizen of Europeia, you'd want Europeia to prosper.
:lol:

Don't pull that shizz. Anyways, I find bold text too loud --- funny all the Americans are fine with it and the Brits aren't. Must be our refined sense of manners ;)
Well I never liked it either and actually put up a fuss about it once of twice. We tried no bold, we tried limited bold, and oddly enough the all bold just works better than what looks nicer to us. I don't know why and I wish it weren't so but the numbers don't lie.

Yeah, it's annoying.

And I'm not rehashing my opinions all over again here. I've had to repeat myself enough times in the thread.

If someone wants to know my opinion, look in the NS forums thread (someone linked it earlier on).

@Hy: In response to a Henry's statement that 'Bold text gets more citizens', Georgie replies 'like it matters to me'.

How am I supposed to take it?

I don't like Automatic Recruitment. Regardless of trying to rationalize it by saying that those complaining about it would use it if they had one, I think it destroys a culture in our little world and takes something away that once provided a sense of consistence. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just how I feel. As a Europeian citizen, I'm glad that this has helped us grow, but that growth hasn't really been translated into vast gains in other areas, and if anything I think it's been a net negative. I mean, a few hundred new nations vs. effectively losing the Interior Ministry? I'd say that's a net negative.

Back