Attention: Speculation! It's election season!

Attention: Speculation! It's election season!
And the EBC takes a look at some eventual candidates
Written by Pichtonia and United Vietussia

In less than one week, Europeia will begin standing for the 57th Senate. Likely starting on the 5th, standing is one of the most exciting parts of every election. Who will stand? For the first time, another time? Will there be any surprising appearances? And how many of those who stood will disappear after the votes are cast? We don't know, and it is unlikely we will find out until the 16th, when the election ends again. But still, the EBC went for some speculation on who could run for one of the most esteemed offices of this region: Senator.

The Senators

Already this term, the Leave of Absence took a toll on the Senate record of Senator Shin 4.0, and with his new LoA it seems fair to say that he likely won't run again next election. During this term, he suggested a World Assembly Delegate Accountability Act. This led to some debate on Senate floor, but is currently being considered for tabling. Nevertheless starting this debate has done something for and in Europeia that his term might be remembered for. In other debates, he was noticably more silent. On behalf of the Ministry of Communications and the EBC staff we wish him all the best.

Senator Isaris seemed to try to get involved in all debates, but his energy from the start slowed down a little over time, probably due to his recent election as Mayor of Equilism. Maybe that's why he told the EBC that he will not seek another term. "There's no likelihood of it at all", he confirmed, while noting that he would not run for a third consecutive term, thus indicating he might very well run again at some time in the future. For now, the former Speaker will probably best remembered for his strong involvement in the Citizens' Assembly Universal Suffrage Amendment that finally made it through Senate this term. If you want to hear more about his reasons and his term, you can tune in to his talk with Cpt.Carrot on Monday.

Kraketopia came in third in the last Senate election. Despite a commitment to activity in his campaign, he was overall less active than honoured citizen Drecq or Kraken's own Senate substitute Ervald. However, it should be noted that he had a great and substantial contribution to End en Banc, which this term of Kraketopia will most likely be remembered for. With two different Senate substitutes he introduced two of his trusted citizens to the work in Senate, which is a substantial effort to the legislative training, although it could be argued that this is not what a Senator should necessarily be praised or judged for. The EBC sees the chances of him running again as rather unlikely.

After winning the second seat in a very close by-election, which might very well be what he is going to be best remembered for this term, Senator shufordbrian did not have a particularly strong presence so far, but it is unclear whether he could try to do better in a new term. Yet he has shown time and time again that he can very well surprise people and could try to do better in another, full term in Senate. The EBC thinks it is rather unlikely that the Senator runs for another term now. Still we can't fully write him off: Hs run in the by-election might have come as a surprise to many people too.

Speaker Malashaan is still one of the greatest legal minds in Europeia, and his activity as Speaker and Senator was often noted positively. His level of activity and involvement does not indicate that he would not run again, and there are still some discussions to be finished that he might want to finish himself. So even though he recently took over the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs, which surely takes some of his attention, the EBC would think it is likely that Malashaan runs for another term. Next to his legal skills that need no further explanation, he has also shown initiative this term and changed the course of the debate many times, which might be universally remembered favourably if he chose to run for another term.

Pichtonia served in Senate for the first time after easily taking first in the two seat by-election. He tried to be active in many debates, although that didn't always lead to extraordinarily substantial contributions. There is nothing in particular he might be well remembered for, yet he is likely to run at this time.

Anumia, when asked about running for the Senate again, said the following exclusively to the EBC: "Yes. I had intended to run again only if I had found a new specific reason for a second term, but the one thing I did not anticipate going into this term was how slowly it would be to move through the workload. I think [..] there is still plenty more to be done and I believe myself one of the people who need to do it." Already in this term he was easily one of the most active Senators, and often had substantial comments and suggestions in debates. Therefore it is not a huge surprise he intends to run once more. His activity, drive and arguments might be met with a lot of support.

Rand is another very active Senator, even if he is a little controversial at times. He takes issue with some of the smallest problems or things that were widely agreed on, but whatever you think of him, he has also made some rad suggestions. To the EBC he exclusively confirmed he is going to run again, saying: "There's still a lot to get done and the Senate needs active leadership to take it there. I know I can get the job done", he said. Asked whether that would indicate a bid for the Speakership, he said that Malashaan did a very fine job. Then again a third term seems perfect for the Speakership, and he might be well advised to take that opportunity.

Who have we heard from?

Punchwood was almost sidetracked in the last by-election and later announced that he would see it as a message not to run again very soon. Therefore it seems unlikely he would change his mind and run after all. Brunhilde, who is a favourite of many for around every office in Europeia, just reconfirmed that she has no interest in Senate in her EBC interview and so did her former Senate aide United Vietussia, who also announced in an upcoming exclusive EBC interview why he does not intend to run in the general election.

Parallel solstice, formerly known as Possibly this, left the last race pessimistically, not knowing when and if he would run again. Since then he renamed himself to shake off the old image of himself and got further involved in the regional community, joining in on discord voice chats and working in Ministries such as Communications, where he is Editor-in-Chief. He didn't receive few votes in the by-election and could possibly use this and his new appearance for another run, increasing his chances of another candidacy. Ervald is another citizen who is not unlikely to run. With a great result in the by-election, he would have a nice boost for the general election - and definitely good motivation. He showed passion in his short time as substitute that even some Senators lack. If Kraken doesn't run, he could throw the weight of his many tentacles behind his former substitute Ervald again, further increasing the chances of the Euro-Goldblum.

As the EBC found out from talks with other candidates, Kraken's other Senate substitute Cat also showed a great interest in running in a future election, but did not confirm she would run for this one. Vice World Assembly Delegate Celtian intends to run for Senate for his first time. "I think the Senate could use some fresh blood", he told us. Celtian has shown some great activity and participation in other aspects of the region so far. It would be exciting to see either of them in Senate. Vice Chancellor Drecq confirmed that he would not consider to run for Senate. Although he showed great activity and interest in some debates, he is perfectly fine with continuing to exercise his rights as honoured citizen.

The Wild Cards

Notolecta is a strong legal mind in Europeia, maybe a little controversial in some of his views, and now even in government. He would potentially have a solid base of support in case he runs for Senate, and a good platform could secure him a seat. We see his likelihood for running as not extraordinarily unlikely, if not even likely. Former Senator Rylian also got more involved recently, and could use his rebrand to continue where he started: As legislator and Senator. He would most definitely still have a solid base of supporters, it's just questionable whether he is up for the challenge and manages to rally enough voters in the end. Still the EBC would think it is not unlikely enough to categorize it as such. Last but not least many of those who ran or already served in Senate returned to Europeia and could try to go for a seat once more. Zapper and Fortunado, after some noticable absence and in case of zapper even losing their citizenship, resurfaced. Kaboom, too, seems to be more active after some LoAs, and even Marnip reappeared, though the EBC still views the chances of them running as rather unlikely, even if they are on our radar for now.

Who could be Speaker?

With such a strong field of likely and confirmed candidates, one could wonder who has the skill and desire to be Speaker. Malashaan would be the natural choice, having served as Speaker before. But would he even want to run for Speaker if there are other contestants? Then again who would dare to challenge him? In the event of him not running, we see three main contestants for the Speakership. Anumia is an obvious choice. He was one of the main driving forces in Senate this term and eventually one of the most veteran members of this community. He might be more satisfied with his role as Senator, or not at all interested in challenging others for it, but he could definitely do the job.

In case Rylian actually decided to run, he would make a different kind of Speaker, but it would certainly fit his resume. Plus his eventual more political approach could be seen as an advantage. A third term seems like a good time to grab the office, too. Then again it is not only very unclear whether he runs, but also whether he would immediately want to go for that office after his return to the Senate floor. Similarily, Rand could want to go for it now if he runs for a third term, as he said he would. Running for a fourth consecutive term could be difficult, so now seems like the best time for it. Then again Rand also announced he was satisfied with Malashaan, and he didn't signal his interest in any other way either. In the end, we might just have to wait and see.

What do you think? Any predictions? Any guesses we didn't name? Leave a comment below!

Disclaimer: This article is, save for the EBC-confirmed candidates, only speculative. We encourage everyone to join in on speculation and debate to make this election even more fun than the last one.

This is a great analytical piece with some great surprises inside, in terms of people confirming they are running. Great work by the EBC.

Very cool article, Pichto. Interesting use of pastel rainbow colors. :p

It'll be an interesting election! Rylian would definitely make an interesting dark horse for Speaker.

I think, if I were to run for Senate, proving myself as a Senator again to the public would be my first and greatest priority. Sometimes circumstances force leadership upon you as was in the case of Isaris but until we see the field I can't speculate.

Of those noted in the article likely to run, Anumia is a highly respected legislator and command of structure. Having worked with Anumia in various aspects in the past, I can say not only would he be a superb Speaker but if I were a Senator, where I would put my support.

Well done article, with a fair amount of criticism and praise with a pretty even balance. It'll be interesting to see what happens here in a few days when standing opens

Great article.

I'm going to pour water on the issue of my candidacy by declaring that I won't be running. This is due to several circumstances:

1. I need to get more legal experience in the CA before coming back.
2. Senior year of high school. I'll be really busy this semester.

I'm not planning on running for anything or accepting any Cabinet nominations until January at least, though I might still do some deputy stuff on the side.

Ervald is another citizen who is not unlikely to run. With a great result in the by-election, he would have a nice boost for the general election - and definitely good motivation. He showed passion in his short time as substitute that even some Senators lack. If Kraken doesn't run, he could throw the weight of his many tentacles behind his former substitute Ervald again, further increasing the chances of the Euro-Goldblum.

Great article! I surprised myself when I thought about it and decided I should run for Senate. Not saying I don't think I'd do well though, I would serve Europeia to the best of my ability.

I think you'd have a good shot, Celt. Definitely look forward to your campaign.

I'm disappointed to hear that promising individuals such as UV and Cat won't be running this election. Looking forward to having Ervald with us though. Besides that, I really enjoyed this article. It was very interesting and has a lot of insight. Very valuable, well written. Well done.

Rand said:
I'm disappointed to hear that promising individuals such as UV and Cat won't be running this election. Looking forward to having Ervald with us though. Besides that, I really enjoyed this article. It was very interesting and has a lot of insight. Very valuable, well written. Well done.
To be fair, she didn't say she wouldn't run this election, just that she wouldn't confirm to run this term. :p

Rand said:
As much as it pains me to pass a Senate run, the upcoming EBC interview with me will hopefully shed some light as to my motives.

This was a great article! I wonder if there will be any suprises and who wu'll actually run.

Back