[Arnhelm Alternative] Anatomy of an Operation: South Pacific

Westinor

Cabinet
Deputy Minister
Citizen

Anatomy of an Operation: South Pacific

By: Westinor

It’s never truly quiet during update. You can be certain that almost every update on Nationstates, night or day, something is happening.

Tag runs and chasing can take updaters through over a hundred regions in an update. Quieter days see detaggers meticulously sweeping up raider warpaths. And on some nights, stealth raiders lurk in the mist, lying low from the wary eyes of spotters. But above the rest, the most paramount and colossal of any operation is undoubtedly the liberation.

On the Minor update of July 10th, 2023, a large group of about 34 raiders jumped from the region NATO 2022 Frontier into South Pacific. In the next 12 hours, I and the rest of Update Command worked to plan out a liberation that would lead to the first major liberation victory for defenderdom in 2023.

–​

Part 1: The Legend of South Pacific

The raid and occupation of South Pacific occurred in the middle of Raidercon, an annual celebration of raiderdom and its ideals. Each year, a large-scale occupation takes place during the week or two of events; this year, defender intel had provided us with the primary Raidercon target, Nevadia, which we successfully protected on July 8th. This left raiders to seize a secondary backup target, NATO 2022 Frontier, and start piling into it.

NATO 2022 Frontier rose to about a hundred raider endorsements, which masked any stealth activity going on within it — usually, you can spot 30 raiders swapping endorsements pretty easily, but being part of a pile removes the need for them to endorse, masking any obvious activity. Using this to their advantage, raiders seized South Pacific.

South Pacific itself is the birthplace of military gameplay legends. It is one of the larger and more vibrant founderless regions, with a community built around its distinctly democratic culture, Pacific-island aesthetic, and somewhat confusing name (no relation to the South Pacific.) Unfortunately, its status as a vulnerable yet active region has lended it to the eyes of raiders time and time again, most recently and notably in modern history during the sieges of 2020.

The 2020 occupation saw raiders pull out all the stops — bringing insane (maybe record-breaking at the time?) numbers to the field, and utilizing new strategies — the most notable of which is known as “update-bending”, but more on that later on.

Legendary operations are a two-sided coin — and this most definitely held true for South Pacific in 2020. For the defender faction, South Pacific in 2020 is a story of successes and failures. From the Phoenix Flock Fleet’s incredible role in facilitating civilian outreach to incredible numbers and stamina out of the liberator camp to wonky triggers and a nail-biting loss that came down to a single endorsement, South Pacific lives on in the minds of many.

Part 2: Steps to Victory

As you can imagine, the memories of that very operation, just three years ago, burned bright on the minds of many Update Commanders as we watched raiders pour into the region once again. We’d nabbed a good victory just a few updates ago in the defense of Nevadia, but defenders hadn’t successfully liberated a large-scale occupation in nearly seven months.

Not all liberations are the same. There are always several things you want to consider and run through when an occupation begins — as the saying goes, the first twelve hours are the most important, as raider piles often grow unconquerable after a full day. As such, liberations are all about speed.

Upon the invasion of South Pacific, we recognized a few key details immediately. Firstly, the natives of South Pacific had (somewhat brashly) initiated a transition to Frontier status, as part of the path to appointing a governor and securing themselves. This was a necessary step to becoming a governor region, since formerly founderless regions must transition to Frontiers first, before being able to appoint a Governor.

This meant that the usual consideration of an Injunction would leave them as a Frontier — and that if raiders successfully held the region, they would only need two weeks to initiate the transition to Stronghold and give themselves the governor’s key permanently. As such, an Injunction to keep this region a Frontier was absolutely vital to any long-term plan.

Quebecshire, founder of the League and Concord and major defender command, and I generally tend to take point on the Security Council proposals. Quebec is far more proficient than I am at drafting Liberations or Injunctions, and he’s particularly good at whipping something up in a flash. In just over an hour, we had a working Injunction submitted — that was step one.

Every liberation also has its hiccups. In this case, we had two major ones — weekday turnout and native correspondence.

July 10th was a Monday. You don’t usually get great numbers for a Monday night liberation — people are coming back from work or school exhausted from their first day back, and incessant pings about a high-stakes operation aren’t exactly conducive to relaxation.

Native outreach is also a crucial aspect of every liberation — you want to coordinate with natives on all aspects of the liberation, from the Injunction to the jump. Oftentimes, you can utilize a strategy known as “Fake Puppetmaster/Fast Pre-Move” — better known as “FPM” — in which the native delegate or a high-endorsement count native moves into the defender jump point, collect liberator endorsements, then move back into the target minutes before the actual jump. This allows them to grab both liberator endorsements and native endorsements without liberators needing to endorse the native after the jump, which means more speed and endorsements.

The chances of a successful liberation are highest on the day after the invasion, and a robust FPM on that first day would be key to our success. Quebec tends to take point on native outreach, but I had established a working relationship with South Pacific’s community before — all the way back during my first ambassadorship in the North Pacific — and so I took the lead. Delegate Densaner was unresponsive, which heightened tensions throughout the day. Particularly in high-endorsement regions like South Pacific, native endorsements can be incredibly crucial to operational success.

The next steps are running the sleeper registry, contacting military commanders, and sending out native un-endorsement telegrams. Libcord runs a sleeper registry, which provides a list of regions for interested individuals to place sleepers in — during liberations like this one, this allows defenders to up WA in the region and potentially contribute without needing to be present at an update. We each reach out to leaders of other organizations to send out a liberation warning, so that they can round up their updaters for the upcoming operation. Then, you send out native un-endorsement telegrams — raiders will occasionally place WA sleepers in a region to establish a beachfront, who natives might unwittingly endorse. This happened during South Pacific, but luckily only two natives needed to remove their endorsements.

I’m beginning to realize that sounds like a lot. It’s a process, but after a few tries it becomes routine. During South Pacific in particular, I was unfortunately at work throughout the day, as was most of Update Command, so things didn’t really start kicking in until the evening.

A key part of outreach is running DMs, which basically means DMing your troops to come to the liberation. I believe that this has to happen in at least two rounds — I try to run DMs in the Grey Wardens once as close to minor as possible, in order to give any minor updaters willing to sacrifice their sleep a chance to set things up, and then once again as we come up towards update. I was lucky to have a good officer corps around me in TGW during South Pacific, as AuraklimaX and AC Alex were able to cover for me early in the day, allowing us to pull some key updaters.

South Pacific comes early in the update - just a few minutes in. For a large liberation, we like to start whipping over an hour before a region updates — this meant for South Pacific, we were whipping early. The first liberator logged on two hours and a half before update. Two hours before update, the engines came alive, as liberators flooded in and officers hopped back on.

Part 3: The Trigger

After running all of that outreach to natives and liberators comes the trigger. I set the majority of triggers for liberations, so I’m no stranger to difficult or wonky triggers — but for South Pacific, the trigger was perhaps the most difficult part of the operation to get right, and it ended up being one of if not the most crucial.

To understand why, a quick crash course on triggering. Triggers use regions or nations that update X seconds before your target, known as triggers. When they update, the person calling the trigger calls “GO”, sending everyone on a frantic jump with approximately X seconds to spare.The first problem with South Pacific was that the trigger was in the middle of a massive region — the Wellspring. This poses a problem, because you can’t really set an accurate trigger!

I use the API to set triggers, and use past regional happenings — the several lines of text under the WFE — to estimate times. To jump over the confusing technical stuff, there weren’t any sufficiently close happenings to the desired trigger time. Any trigger we had could be dozens of seconds too early or up to a second before the region updated. This constrained our time window to move even further, and made it more unpredictable..

To get around this, I manually estimated the time each nation would take on average to update and counted backwards a few hundred nations until I got my desired trigger time and linked that to the API — this would be a safer but potentially longer trigger.

Then I added another failsafe in a second set of triggers, estimating the nation ID (which determines update order) and having Makasta plop his nations with corresponding IDs into the Wellspring — due to update variance, I estimated this strategy was much more likely to produce shorter triggers. Once we got into update, we would have to decide which set of triggers to use; but that would come later.

Before we get to the actual operation, though, one thing that was on the back of all of our minds was the potential for update bending - which I mentioned earlier as a raider tactic first utilized in the 2020 occupation of South Pacific. Update bending - or in the words of an incensed defender commander, “trigger-fucking” - utilizes the mass movement of hundreds to thousands of puppets to a region that updates before South Pacific.

To understand why this works how it does, when several hundred or thousand nations move into a region between your trigger and the target, the time between your “GO” order and the target’s update extends, giving the occupying delegate precious seconds or even minutes to ban your liberators before they can update. The employment of this strategy resulted in the publication of the infamous thread “Liberations are literally impossible”, which has since become a widespread meme in the gameplay community.

Raiders have never been this strategically aggressive nor daring since 2020, and with South Pacific once again under siege, we couldn’t help but wonder if this would be a repeat of 2020. A few minutes before the two hour mark, we scratched together a potential “counter-flooding plan” — a tactic to potentially mitigate or control the effects of update bending, but nothing ever tried before. We didn’t know how it would really work, and for all the contingencies we set in place, this was one that hadn’t been tried before, to my knowledge — it would come down to me as the trigger to figure out how I would call go if that scenario occurred.

Between the deep history associated with South Pacific, the issues with native communication, the complicated nature of the operation and need for multiple contingencies, it started to sink in — things were starting to get serious.

Parts four and five, covering the execution and aftermath of this operation, will be released 8/31/2023. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion!

Last edited:
This is such a great piece, West! I feel like I learned a lot about defending from the process of editing together.

Thank you so much for writing it, and I hope people will give this a read and stay tuned for the next installment!

Wow. Just wow. This is an incredible series West, and gives a good insight into both the similarities and differences between 2020 and 2023 R/D, both the warfare and the politics. Looking forward to the next one in the series!

I love this. I missed my bus stop reading this, and I don't even have any regrets.

Very vividly written, I look forward to the next parts!

Reactions: Vor
Awesome article, can't wait to read more! Especially the part about choosing a trigger is super interesting; variance can already be a bitch without your only trigger being a massive region like the Wellspring, I don't envy the position!

This is a fantastic article.

There’s nothing more exciting than the moments before jumping into a region for a liberation. The tension, the rush, the feeling of victory… nothing like it.

Anatomy of an Operation: South Pacific (continued)

By: Westinor

Part 4: The Execution

The first ping went out 70 minutes before update. We weren’t certain if this was something we could attempt to finish in one update, or if it would drag on through the week. My heart was racing, so I hopped in the shower to mentally prepare for the hour of tension and adrenaline to come.

Can I take a moment to shout out Tim? Regardless of your thoughts on him as a player or his history, the man is an unstoppable force of energy — it never feels like a real liberation without him, and I still hold to this day that we would not have won had he not been there. He hops on right as I jump into the shower — I have an unhealthy habit of using my phone in the shower nowadays — and he is itching to start running DMs. The energy is absolutely infectious — I take a one minute shower and hop out, don’t dry my hair, run to my laptop and start running DMs with him.

We’re an hour out from update. Densaner finally responds — with a vague message telling us to “do our magic”. This sends us into a panic, as Quebec and I frantically attempt to reach out to him on Discord.

We’re passing off DM duty between officers now. If you didn’t know, Discord throttles you after sending like fifty messages to people you’ve never DMed before — who would’ve thought? And Libcord has hundreds of members — while Quebec corresponds with the native and Tim runs crowd control and pings, I’m coordinating DM lists between Junior commanders, switching them out between crowd control pinging and DMing. It’s a team effort — I distinctly recall passing the baton between Concrete Slab, Tim, AurA, Alex, Flying Eagles, Kivu and Pronoun.

Thirty minutes. We’ve sent out like, five liberator pings already. Quebec manages to get Densaner to coordinate an FPM with us — we re-run native endorsements and liberator endorsements and realize that we have the numbers to win. It’s a frenzy — Quebec offers to write RP posts for TL/C members who attend update, Tim offers to… I believe change ASS’ flag and WFE if we hit something like 80 updaters? Concrete Slab sends out a Legislator ping, I’m frantically coordinating DM runs on offline members, and suddenly we remember the potential for update bending. Quickly, we organize Concrete Slab, Purple Hyacinth, and Makasta to counter flood a region if update bending occurs. #liberation is moving a mile a minute, Quebec is coordinating with Kivu to coach newbie updaters, Tim sends out an @everyone ping, we’ve hit over 120 potential endorsements to raiders’ 106, and everything’s a blur.

I begin sending out warnings. Anyone who’s attended liberations is familiar with these — a ten minute, a five minute, then radio silence. Everything gets blurry around here — I distinctly remember my fingers shaking as we hit five minutes. Bans on sleepers come through as we frantically ping people to switch — everyone is on crowd control duty. The 2 minute warning comes — Radio Silence. Tim locks chat. Raiders cancel South Pacific’s frontier transition — they think they’ll lose.

The question comes — which trigger are we using? I check one last time — there’s no update bending. It’s a clear path. We have a twenty endorsement lead on raiders, but with bans and noob updaters, that could be ten, five or zero — too few. If we want to win, the trigger needs to be tight.

Most liberation triggers are set for about twelve seconds. The site allows for one nation maximum to be banned per second, per region — so each second is a ban. My API trigger could be anywhere from that twelve seconds to thirty; the non-API trigger could be anywhere from twelve seconds to two. I call for the non-API trigger.

It’s tense. Everything’s quiet for a minute — just the sound of tapping keys. Then, go.

The trigger feels too fast. I remember sitting in frantic anticipation, audibly whisper-screaming at the region to update. It takes nearly ten seconds — too long — for the delegacy to update, and I’m panicking. We’ve lost, the trigger was too short, it’s my fault not enough people made it in.

The Delegacy changes — Densaner’s back in the seat. We won, 113-108. The trigger was six seconds long.

Part 5: The Aftermath

It takes a few minutes to unlock chat — my fingers are shaking too hard for me to trust myself to re-open things. The feeling is immaculate — that’s the first big liberation win all year.

It’s impossible to really quantify how important every aspect of the team-oriented nature of Update Command was. I’ve tried to illustrate it, but truly, every last centimeter of the effort was off the back of so many people willing to

South Pacific has since chosen to remain founderless, at the very least until a clear window can be taken to safely pivot the region into a governorship. The Injunction would later pass, and has since ensured the security of South Pacific, which now has both a Liberation and an Injunction.

The victory still stands as the keynote liberation of 2023. While since then, invasions of the Perfect Utopian Region and Yessssss have continued the pattern of raider strength on the battlefield, South Pacific has proven that a strong performance and good strategy can put defenders on top.

The liberation also marked an incredible turnout from Europeia at 14 members, over twice as many as the next organization down, putting the ERN solidly in the top echelon in defending. Leaders like Kazaman and Maowi were crucial in helping run coordination and whipping, making all the difference in a win that came down to the wire.

South Pacific marked the epitome of what defenders can do on the battlefield. For an era marked by agendaposts and conflicts off the update fields, South Pacific has shown the operational viability of defenders and our allies when we come together in full strength, It’s liberations like South Pacific that show how valuable time is — only on NationStates will you find over a hundred people gathering in twelve hours for such a cause. It’s also a good look into how a true liberation works — no sieging or long-term strategies, but lots of effort and a little bit of luck.

Sorry for the delay on the second half!! Thank you so much everyone for your patience, and I hope this was worth the read <3

Once again westinor is bestinor, what a wonderful two-parter

Nothing like a piece of westinor writing to lift the spirits

What a great 2-parter! You definitely managed to convey the excitement and the complicated logistics of a liberation

What a great 2-parter! You definitely managed to convey the excitement and the complicated logistics of a liberation
Seconded. This is so illustrative of how Update Command functions in practice. And very well-written! Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed and thrilling piece.

Back