An Opinion - The Relationship between The People's Assembly with The Grand Hall

The Relationship between The People's Assembly with The Grand Hall
Opinion Article

Written by @Phoenix

Truth be told, I’ve frankly not been around enough to really get a total fill for the pitfalls of the People’s Assembly - however, as its Chair and someone who very much believes in it still, have found it exhausting to think of ways to proactively promote it and discussions. I understand as I am writing this, I have yet to give the People’s Assembly any fruitful love this term, frankly a lot of things factor into that - and if it’s a point of contention later on when I try to run again or whatever my future endeavors will be, I’ll try to brave the storm. However, privately a few people have expressed to me that the problems with the People’s Assembly are more systematic and to an extent I agree. On one hand; you need a strong and driven leader who is looking to excel quickly through the legislative career branch of Europeia — or on the other hand; in my opinion, bringing us to our main topic, the more active opponent to the People’s Assembly, inevitably gets in the way, that opponent being the Grand Hall.

Certainly there are historical precedents behind the Grand Hall and I want to respect those, many cherish memories, fierce debates, Blood, Sweat and Tears have been spilled in the Grand Hall fighting for many different things. I’m not sure how deep those, if any, emotional ties go - but has anyone considered the fact that the Grand Hall is a direct opponent to the People’s Assembly? For one, important debates over current happenings, take place in the Grand Hall well before they’re posted in the People’s Assembly - which is some fault of mine in my opinion, seeing as I am the current Chair, but if you allow me a some reprieve on this fact to allow us to focus on the overall situation, I think it’s clear that the People’s Assembly purpose, asides from allowing those who want a drafting zone for their proposals to reach the Senate, is challenged by the fact that the Grand Hall exists.

Even with a willing Chair like myself (especially my first term, where I was able to dish out several proposals to the Senate) — it did not dissuade anyone from posting in the Grand Hall. I’m not quite sure why this occurs and whether it’s caused by a misunderstanding or out of an outstanding culture that the Grand Hall is the place to be to discuss regional happenings, which like I had said previously is completely fair. However, I think it’s important to bring this to people’s attention - am I looking for a call to action to have the Grand Hall dismantled, burnt to a crisp or end up ceasing to exist like ye olde nation in NationStates? Nope. Does awareness of people’s opinions, perhaps those of the Chair, an important voice in trying to make the People Assembly a better place, seem important? I hope so!

I hope this article is insightful, perhaps even thought provoking, good or bad. My main takeaway I’d like to see out of this article is a unified effort to try to have discussions in the People’s Assembly. If things go well? Let’s try to expand it to make it more characteristic of an Assembly, allow the Chair to moderate the debate more precisely - involve a bit of roleplay by letting people write our brief paragraphs of coming to the center of the Assembly’s isle to address the Assembly as a whole - there is a lot of fun potential that is worth trying again, or trying out.

Here is how I’d like to see you engage now, what are your thoughts on this? Do you agree with my opinion, and if you don’t, are you open to writing an opposing opinion? Do leave us a comment about your thoughts and opinions, and if you’re willing to write an article in opposition to this, please do let me know!

I’m not sure how deep those, if any, emotional ties go - but has anyone considered the fact that the Grand Hall is a direct opponent to the People’s Assembly?
Now hear me out, perhaps the Grand Hall should just be considered the floor of the People's Assembly? They could be one in the same!

An important article and question to ponder, especially around the PA Chair election. Thanks for writing it, Phoenix!

I’m not sure how deep those, if any, emotional ties go - but has anyone considered the fact that the Grand Hall is a direct opponent to the People’s Assembly?
Now hear me out, perhaps the Grand Hall should just be considered the floor of the People's Assembly? They could be one in the same!

The main reason I'd disagree is that there needs to be a place where citizens can discuss free from protocol and procedures.

I've posted legislation in the Grand Hall despite the PA because I feel the PA is rather slow moving and it's easier just to find a Senator to sponsor your legislation. That's the problem with any large body. The more members, the slower the deliberation. This is also why I am concerned about Ministerial confirmations moving to the PA.

I've posted legislation in the Grand Hall despite the PA because I feel the PA is rather slow moving and it's easier just to find a Senator to sponsor your legislation. That's the problem with any large body. The more members, the slower the deliberation. This is also why I am concerned about Ministerial confirmations moving to the PA.

I totally respect that and understand that. That is an issue that could be addressed and likely would be if the PA was to get something more important, such as Ministerial nominations. Despite the longer deliberation time and still being on the fence myself in terms of the PA getting Ministerial confirmations, I think the region needs to be willing to give the PA the chance to adjust to a new role before simply (and I'm not saying you are), assuming that it will fail to preform in a timely or efficient manner. Much of this relies on the PAC, meaning that the region may need to get a bit more picky on whom they would like as PAC but it's still a stepping stone and a learning role for anyone that is able to receive the people's vote.

An important article and question to ponder, especially around the PA Chair election. Thanks for writing it, Phoenix!

The main reason I'd disagree is that there needs to be a place where citizens can discuss free from protocol and procedures.

(and @McEntire) The goal I'd like to establish is a bit of mutual respect between the two places in a perfect world. In the not so perfect world we live in, that's never going to be a reality unless the mentality with the PA seriously changes within the next year. Unfortunately that still doesn't completely solve the problem here.

I mean, there's no reason anything would have to change, it's more of a mental shift than anything. The "Grand Hall" could still be exactly what it is, but also be considered a place within the People's Assembly where things are debated.

I think my issue with the PA is that it formalizes a process that in a (hyper)political region like ours doesn't need formalizing.
It's much more interesting when we can discuss things around in the grand hall and then Senators may take it up.
With the grand hall anyone can participate or start a discussion at any time without having to think about chairs or readings or votes.
I like it that way

Reactions: Vor
Anyone can start a discussion in the People's Assembly, just like any Senator can start a discussion on the Senate floor without presenting a bill. There isn't really very much red tape at all :p

Anyone can start a discussion in the People's Assembly, just like any Senator can start a discussion on the Senate floor without presenting a bill. There isn't really very much red tape at all :p

This... Discussions literally go unmoderated usually, I see no reason for a PAC to ever micromanage something as simple as a discussion unless it gets heavily derailed or heated.

Back