An Interview with Sincluda: Libcord's Newest Update Commander

An Interview with Sincluda:
Libcord's Newest Update Commander

Interview conducted by Grea Kriopia

On April 2, @Sincluda was promoted to Junior Command in Libcord, the first rank of military officer leadership in the sprawling Defender operations server used for a majority of military operations in the faction. The promotion complements Sincluda's skills and the growing status of the Europeian Republican Navy (ERN) in Defenderdom as Sincluda joins @Vor as the second ERN member to be added to Libcord's Update Command.

Update Command is the collective of military officers that run day-to-day operations within Libcord for much of the Defender faction. Update Command and Junior Command work together to decide and organize what happens every update, depending on who is available, and do any preparation work for updates if needed behind the scenes. Overseeing all of this is the Square Table, occasionally referred to as "the Defender Illuminati", who handle high-level Defenderdom policy discussions, decide Libcord promotions, and handle intelligence.

Gaining a Command position in Libcord can also be tricky -- the server's leadership is almost entirely distinct from regional governments, and the qualifications for Update Command are deliberately vague. Generally, though, a player who frequently demonstrates maturity and a willingness to lead will be noticed by other Libcord officers over time and earn a position. Once selected for a position in Update/Junior Command, an individual holds the position until they choose to resign -- even if they go inactive for a while. It's a high trust job for a reason but also opens up unique opportunities for sides of military gameplay not often seen.

Considering this, the EBC sat down with Sincluda to chat about his recent promotion and about his own interests in military gameplay.

GK: Hey Sin, thanks for taking some time to talk to me and, of course, congrats on your recent promotion! To start us off, can you talk about what interests you about Military Gameplay? How did you get into it?

Sin: The three main things that interest me most: You get to meet and grow closer with people from a bunch of different regions in Military Gameplay. The strategy behind it is intriguing and certainly creative at times! As for thrill, I find chasing and liberating very exciting and great ways to distract myself at the end of the day (with other people!).

The excitement + social interaction combination really got me into Military Gameplay early on, back when I first started tagging with people like Istillian, upc, Icarus, Vor, etc.

GK: I mean, that's a great group of people so I can see why. Where do you feel like you learned the most about raiding/defending? Anyone in particular help you out?

Sin: The most I've learned is probably right now, as I've joined Junior Command. Just observing the discussions has taught me about a ton of different strategies and such that I didn't know much about before. Vor in particular has been very helpful, and he taught me how to take "the next step" and become a valuable contributor to both the ERN and Libcord.

GK: As any good Grand Admiral would, shout out to vor for pushing sailors to improve. So then, can you describe a bit more the path you took to getting into Junior Command, especially for someone unfamiliar with Libcord?

Sin: For me, it was really about consistency. I started trying to update as often as I could (or ".here'ing"), because I really wanted to make a positive impact, especially in a game where numbers are (mostly) everything. Since Libcord is made up of a lot of different orgs, I figured this extra consistency would help show the strength and value of the ERN. It worked. From there, Vor let me know I was being considered for Junior Command and helped me take the last few steps and get comfortable with what I needed to do.

GK: Indeed, consistency is key -- It's important to know an officer can be around for more than just the big liberations. I know you haven't been on Command for long, but what have you most enjoyed in leading operations so far?

Sin: I haven't led too many ops (yet!) and so far the extra responsibility is a little daunting! But it's also a lot more exciting. All of a sudden there's a whole new layer of things that I have to get right, but it really makes me feel extra proud when it works out. It's also a little fun bossing people around (where I can) :).

GK: Haha, yes, your new shiny role does come with some newfound power and also extra work. Is there one thing that has surprised you about being an Update Commander so far?

Sin: I'm surprised by the respect I've immediately gotten. Being the new kid in UC, I fully expected to be at the "bottom of the ladder" so to speak. But in reality, I have voice. I feel like I can contribute and belong with all the other amazing people in UC.

GK: Any final thoughts or comments to share?

Sin: The little journey I've had through military gameplay recently has affirmed that hard work will be rewarded. In a short span of time, I've landed myself up in Junior Command and ERN Command just by being a frequent updater (and committing myself to the cause). It's given me a positive outlook on my own abilities and strength as a person.

Sin: One final message: Join the ERN! GOD BLESS GRAND ADMIRAL VORHOLLAH AND HIS NAVY!!

GK: So true!!! Thanks for your time, Sin!

GOD BLESS SINCLUDA AND HIS UC TENURE

Back