An Apology Is In Order

Oliver

[size0]The following is written by Senator Klatonia[/size]

An apology is in order

The diplomatic crisis currently underway has underlined how well the administration can manage its own field. The intention of creating a conference to bridge a chasm is not just necessary, it’s ballsy. Whether or not it works is secondary, because as long as people keep talking, you never know when you might strike a nerve and be able to make headway. At this moment, as Senator, I am just learning to appreciate the nuances of NS Foreign Affairs and getting raiders and defenders to sit and talk is a big deal. In itself, it is an accomplishment. If we can move from being opponents who try to get along to partners who have disagreements, damn, we’ll have gone forward.

However, what happened last week is unexcusable. Not the apology asked by the LKE to the FRA. I do not know about the past history between the two, but I know this: Europeia offered its ground to bring together people who do not like each other. One partner made a move that was considered offensive by the other party. It’s diplomacy. What is unacceptable is that the sanctity of the Europeian forum was violated by the leak of information to the TUF forum. Being invited here, it was the delegates’ responsibility not to allow such information to leak. Confidentiality is the basis of confidence.

As a citizen of Europeia, I am appalled that Europeia was blamed for a breach of diplomacy by a region that used information gathered from a breach of confidentiality. We held what could amount to a proto-peace conference. We did not breach security, yet our confidence was shook by an even worse breach of diplomacy. As a Senator, I am angry, because in all good faith, we allowed other Regions to access classified discussions on our Forum – and our promise to at least one partner was broken by a decision not of our own.

I do not know how the apology demanded by the LKE will be dealt with. However, I know that, both as a citizen and a Senator,I will demand an inquiry on the breach of confidentiality and will demand an apology from both the perpetrators of the breach and from TUF, because, as a partner, my confidence in them is now shaken and must be restored for the relations to be fully reestablished.

I think it's clear that in terms of being diplomatically reasonable, there is a region clearly lacking.

You could disagree with the horrendous syntax and grammar.

I really was in a hurry when I wrote that: it's filled with gallicisms.

And I was expecting to raise an issue.

And I hold to my promise to participate in public debates.

And... yeah.

Addendum:

I completely understand the Vice-President's position in "Goodnight Europeia". I can understand how one would see that an apology should not be forced onto TUF if it gets in the way of the relations getting better. A noble sentiment coming from one of our best.

For once, I do not share it. It's not a "mistake". It was deliberate. Someone had access to information that was classified. Information was leaked. People who knew this information was leaked used it. People who must have understood where this information came from used it to pass a judgment not just on LKE, but on Europeia as a whole.

Severing diplomatic relations indicates the gravity of the situation or the childishness of the situation. I like to believe it's the first one. However, in case of misdirected anger, the minimum you do is apologize.

And I believe the anger was misdirected. This administration, despite everything that has been said about it, went in there with the intention of acting as an honest broker. There are rules you don't f- with, and NOT shooting the guy trying to help you is one of them.

I want relations to be reestablished. I cannot, however, go back to being diplomatically linked to a Region whom we will have to watch all the time because of its track record. In short: I lost confidence. And the first step to regaining that confidence is to shake our hand, admit the mistake, apologize for it, provide guarantees it won't happen again, and move on.

I must say, though, that demanding an apology was NOT the harshest course of action I envisioned. One person kept me from bringing to the floor a much more stringent resolution. I will let you guess what that resolution called for.

Back