Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
All Eyes.png

In the totality of Europeian history, no independent media outlet has gripped the region the way PhDre's Aftermath Entertainment did between the summer of 2010 and the spring of 2012. Aftermath's hard hitting, often controversial content didn't just summarize the dialogue of the day - it facilitated it. Through a series of opinion pieces called Three Eyes, PhDre encouraged us to keep our eyes on the three branches of our regional government. While All Eyes On Them will seek to incorporate hard news and other types of commentary, it is meant as a tribute and successor to Three Eyes and the journalistic legacy of its editor-in-chief.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In an interview with NationStates Today published last week, President Kuramia sparked a heated discussion in the NS Gameplay forum with an answer she gave regarding Europeia's enemies on the world stage. The President named not a region or individual as Europeia's greatest enemy, but an ideology - Francoism.

President Kuramia said:
This idea that UCRs and their members are an invasive species is one of the most ludicrous and appalling ideas I have read. Francoism stinks of fascism, and like fascism is a true threat to the game. They cannot seriously and effectively reason that UCRs and their people are a threat to them. Not when, in truth, UCRs and GCRs are the same. We both put governmental systems in place. We both worry about the security of our region. We both have established cultures. How are we different? It’s the same argument that fascism and Nazism brought forth to further their causes. As said by Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg Trials: ‘The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.’

Having made a direct comparison between the rhetoric of adherents of in-game Francoism and the real life regime responsible for the wholesale slaughter of millions, criticism of the President's comments was predictable. Outraged commentators characterized the President's words as "shameful", "beyond the pale", and "disgusting". Others said they felt her answer cheapened the pain and tragedies of the Holocaust.

However the President would soon find a defender (no pun intended) in the most unlikely of places, the person of the infamous Unibot. While the founder of the now-defunct United Defenders League has historically operated reliably as an outspoken opponent to Europeian geopolitical interests, he posted a forceful defense of Kuramia by saying:

Francos Spain and Unlimited, both students of European politics, know exactly what language they were lifting when the former named a state, the New Pacific Order, and Unlimited et. al. created an ideology around reclamation, annexation, unification, and national pride and culture, in addition to collective servitude and the abolition of the individual, against a sinister "deceptive," elite/dominant minority.

The NPO is a not very subtle pastiche of European nationalist dictatorships.

Sure it's a game, nobody has died over a game, but it is a pastiche and the source is clear and unsavory. I don't see anything wrong about pointing out the connection. Francoist rhetoric is indistinguishable from RL fascist propaganda, it just inserts "userite" where RL dictators used "jew" - and the logic of them as a dominant minority, infiltrating political society and weakening and imperalising nations from within remains intact. You may be comfortable with that, knowing it is a game, but I don't think it is fair to direct outrage, not to the people prancing around with Mein Kampf ripoffs, but to the people pointing out the plagiarism.

The same day the interview was published, Kuramia offered a swift but heavily qualified apology.

While the superiority complex imbued within Francoism is exclusionary and runs contrary to the values of Europeia and other User-Created Regions, my comments in NationStates Today went too far. I wish to apologize for conflating Francoism with Nazism. Europeia recognizes the steps NPO is taking in their pledge to end Francoism. Europeia will continue to promote the values of inclusion and respect among all willing to communicate civilly.

While objectively valid assertions were made on both sides of this debate and any comments from a Europeian leader in NSGP will have a polarizing effect, it is almost certainly clear that this is not how first-time President Kuramia intended to be received as she introduces herself to an international audience. Further, this incident suggests that the administration has not settled on how it will frame the struggle against NPO, with whom Europeia has been in a declared state of war for several months.

NationStates Today's complete interview with President Kuramia can be read here.

Keep your eyes on Europeia's government with The Europeian Citizen. Contact CSP if you are interested in submitting an opinion piece to be published in All Eyes On Them.

Excellent writeup CSP. For someone like me who is pretty new overall and has had very limited exposure to events happening outside the region, this was an excellent and very informative read!

Personally, the apology was not necessary. They cultivated the fascist image, they can't also decry having it pointed out...

We rarely talk about what Europeia is doing Gameside, so it's nice to enhance regional debate with an article like this.

When this controversy started, I read a bit along and was glad that Kuramia eventually issued an apology. There are many very valid criticisms of Francoism, including their cultivation of a fascist image, so it was unfortunate that the rhetoric rather than the valid criticism received so much attention by the audience.

Great article, CSP. Certainly draws me towards NSGP, which I'm guilty of ignoring along with many Europeians

Very pleased to see an article about the gameside of NS. It's where our unique brand of foreign affairs can be broadcast, along with our status as the 2nd User Created Region.

Otherwise, in part, being a top dog is worthless.

Back