Additional Administrative Update: Festavo/Dionysus

I disagree with this decision
If the admin team believed he genuinely has changed than they should have stayed the course and let the IC process play out. He already had his citizenship revoked and was facing some further ban (He was basically guaranteed to get some ban after the court case). If he still wanted to return after that, it could have been adjudicated by the IC government. He would still have been subject to a one strike rule by the admins regardless. The community should have at least given him some chance and let the process play out.

At what point are we just forever doomed by our past actions? No matter what was said, six years is a really long time among a community that can have players as young as 13. Many of you, including myself are completely different people from when we started playing this game. I think it is very unfortunate that the offered opportunity for a discrete and poignant second chance has basically been immediately revoked. The player now won't even get their day in court at the veto of a handful of players exerting social pressure.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I can't really convey all of my outrage here but I'm very disheartened that this community doesn't believe in second chances and that a bunch of angry people can sway the opinion back so quickly.

I think nearly every member of the LGBTQ* community has faced hate before. There's a long list of things I've heard or seen that I'd be happy to share more privately if it helped you better understand, and because of them I had some really dark days in my teenage years. I'm still majorly uncomfortable with displaying any notion of homosexuality publicly. Today, it's probably trans people that are subject to the most vigorous and vitriolic attacks. I don't know if I'd describe the feelings conveyed as anger to begin with, but even if we go with that word, then I think it's really vital to understand where it might be coming from and why there's so much more behind it, including trauma and hurt.

I hope Festavo can show that he has changed, I genuinely believe and hope for him that he has. And while that has contributed to me also joining the decision to originally revoke the ban, ultimately I don't think it's fair to establish that on the backs of players who feel hurt by it.

I’ll start this off by saying I barely remember Festavo and have no clue who Dionysus is. I have no allegiance, friendship, or any other motivation for this post other than what’s outlined below. I am in no way defending Festavo as well. Let that be clear: I am not defending Festavo or his comments.

This is one time where I feel the admins got it wrong. They bowed to public pressure and didn't stick to the principles that got them to the original decision. That's the exact opposite of what I expect from the admin team, to be honest. When I first read the original decision, internally I thought it was a brave decision, and the right decision, but also one that was founded upon solid reasoning.

The kid obviously grew and matured tremendously, owned up to his mistakes, and wanted to become a positive contributor to the region. We like to talk about tolerance and understanding here, but when a young adult comes back 6 years later, we aren't willing to even consider that they may have grown and changed and aren’t the same child that was.

Look around the region - we need active and willing players. We don't need to be closing the door to players who are eager to be contributors because when they were a kid six years ago behaved in a way that resulted in a ban. That's not to say everyone should get a chance to come back - sexual predators absolutely not. But as far as I can tell, there was never any predation here. Irresponsible, ugly, abhorrent comments? Yes. Made by a kid. Six years ago.

The individual will always remain accountable and responsible for their actions. Giving someone a second chance isn’t saying they aren’t accountable. It is a reputational stain that will last forever. But I don't know that we have any indication that their continued presence in the region presents a safety threat to anyone. Some people may not like him. Some people may not want to be around him. But if he doesn't present a safety threat, which the admin team concluded, then he should be reinstated.

Not everyone is going to like everyone in this world. Tough. That’s how the world goes. Ultimately this amounts to "some of us just don't like him, so he has to go. Administrative ban standards founded on safety be damned."

The admin team always does better when they stick to their principles. Unfortunately, I do not feel they did that in this case. They bowed to public pressure, something I don't think I've ever seen.

Of course, none of this undermines or dismisses the legitimate feelings of those whom Festavo impacted while he was here. Their feelings are valid. It’s just that their feelings shouldn’t be what drives the decision for the admin team. If he doesn’t present a threat, which the admins admit used to be the standard, he should be re-instated. That’s the admins following their own standard.

Now we have entered a new era of Europeia where it remains unclear what the standard is for an administrative ban. Ultimately, Festavo was re-banned because of the feelings of some our citizens. He wasn’t re-banned because he was a threat. He was re-banned because of feelings.

The easy thing to do is say no. The easy thing to do is slam the door. The hard thing to do is give someone a second chance to prove they’ve grown. All we are doing here is sending a message that says “you are who you are, forever.”

Finally, the fact, as Kuramia mentioned, that our admin team is majority LGBTQIA+ and still came to the original decision should hold significant weight for our community. It should also hold significant weight for the admin team themselves in the face of community reaction.

The admin team made the right decision originally. Now we have lost the chance to further influence a young adult into being more tolerant, accepting, and ready to embrace the diversity of the world. And beyond that, the standard for what is ban-worthy has now shifted from safety to community feelings.

The better option would be to proceed with a criminal case for lying on the application. If found guilty, administer the penalty. If he were to return after that, it’s only yet another indication of growth, maturity, and readiness to be a positive part of our community.

But we didn’t do that, and that’s unfortunate.

MAYBE SOME OF US ARE CONCERNED BY THIS DECISION, BECAUSE WE HAVE IMPERFECT PASTS

MAYBE WE DON'T WANT TO BE CHASED OUT TOO

MAYBE NONE OF US WANT TRANS PEOPLE TO FEEL UNSAFE

MAYBE ALL OF US WANT TO FEEL SAFE AND WELCOME

MAYBE WE NEED OBJECTIVE STANDARDS FOR WHEN SOMEBODY MUST GO

It is unhelpful to hide behind an anonymous account. Unless you're using a VPN the Admin team can easily ascertain who you actually are. If you're worried about backlash from making a public statement by putting your name to a post, just privately DM someone on the Admin team with your concerns.

I would encourage everyone to accept the admins' decision as it stands. No offense to Festavo, but I am sure he would have fizzled out like 90% of new/returned citizens, and regardless he will not be missed. Let's just cut our losses and try to learn from this experience.

Maybe in a month or two we can have a respectful conversation about how to be prepared for things like this happening again in the future - not with the goal of making it easier for fringe individuals to join the community, but to make sure we have clear expectations and that nobody will be caught off guard when an unban or ban happens again.

Last edited:
I find this situation rather unfortunate. I am not sure of the exact admin policy in Europeia, though I find these criterion and methods useful.

When considering an appeal:
  1. If they are OOC banned, an intermediary should be used to communicate evidence privately, so that the admin or moderation team if they feel uncomfortable aren't required to directly communicate to someone OOC banned. Alternatively, a citizen or resident could provide evidence privately to an admin/moderator and ask for an appeal process to occur.
  2. "If the same decision was made today, based on upon the new evidence, would you have imposed the ban?" is initially what I'd suggest the administrators or moderators take into account.
  3. Then I'd want all the admins to agree to an appeal, unless there is demonstratable bias of an admin against an individual, in which case they should recuse themselves from the appeal process and the decision over whether to grant an appeal.
When going through the appeal process:
  1. Once the appeal is opened everyone should have opportunity to submit evidence in private for the case for/against the appeal, which would include the intermediary should they wish to submit further evidence.
  2. Once all the evidence has been submitted the administration team reviews the evidence and considers these three questions at least:
    a. Has the individual demonstrated that their behavior has changed and are sufficiently apologetic for what they did?
    b. What is the severity of the risk that they might pose a problem in the future?
    c. In good conscience do you believe that they should be allowed to be in the community?

3. IF a, b, and c criterion pass, and the admin team believes that a probationally period should begin, then they should revoke the ban.
I have no knowledge in regards this specific case or the exact admin policy of Europeia, so I have made this process example as generic as possible.

At least from the response I have seen to this specific case, I can see some hold concerns at least to how this process occurred. As even if the decision made was the correct one, how the process is carried out and communicated can determine how comfortable the community is with the end result of an administration decision. Certainly, that's what I would take away from this case at least.

Back