A Taste of Skizz #6

I presume most nations bestow medals and similar honors upon people who are esteemed as the most outstanding and virtuous people in their society. We certainly do in America. Who we honor says much about what we value—and implicitly, about what we do not value.

In September, U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta received the Congressional Medal of Honor, America’s highest military honor. Sgt. Giunta was the first living recipient of the honor since the Vietnam War; the previous six recipients honored for heroism in Iraq or Afghanistan received the honor posthumously. Since his honor, Sgt. Giunta has been a guest of honor in Times Square on New Year’s Eve, at the Super Bowl, and undoubtedly at many other, less prominent events. Like virtually all Americans, I’m wowed by Sgt. Giunta's bravery and am grateful for his service.

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is America’s highest civilian honor. Since its establishment in the early 1960’s, hundreds of people from various fields of endeavor have received the Medal of Freedom. Honorees include several prominent figures in the struggle for African-American civil rights, as well as a few true humanitarians (e.g., Mother Teresa). The vast majority of recipients, however, have come from the political class and the entertainment industry.

I don’t care much about medals or other honors—military, civilian, or otherwise—but recent events brought this subject to the front of my mind. In the past week, three girls with the same disease as my daughter have died. Two were 13; the other was 15. At least one suffered terribly during her final weeks. Knowing what I know about their disease, I know all three displayed courage during their short lives that few of us can fathom. None of them will receive medals. I know their parents demonstrated unimaginable courage facing their children’s deaths, and in caring for them in their declining years. None of them will receive medals. Neither will the hospice workers who did their best to make those children’s final days comfortable and dignified.

My wife has given up her career to take care of our 8-year old daughter, whom she watches slowly decline, day by day, knowing what lies in store for her in the not-too-distant future. Her courage inspires me. She will never receive a medal. My daughter’s teachers, therapists and aides work hard for modest wages, going above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that my daughter and the other children in their care have every opportunity to reach their God-given potential. Like other extraordinary teachers, they contribute far more than most of us to our society. They will not receive medals. Neither will by friend who works for low pay—at great cost to her family—caring for adults with traumatic brain injuries.

Our values are clear. We value politicians. We do not value parents of terminally ill children. We value artists. We do not value those who care for the dying, unless they happen to be global celebrities (like Mother Teresa). We value movie stars. We do not value teachers. We value warriors. We do not value those who care for warriors who come home brain-damaged.

Remember this the next time a politician talks about values, or service, or other supposed virtues, then ask yourself whether their definition of virtue is the same as yours.

The Taste of Skizz is my favorite thing to read.

Really good Skizzy.

I'm not sure that I wholly agree with your thesis here but it's certainly a subject to think about and keep in mind.

As usual, a great read and something that makes you think. Love it, Skizzy. I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like to be the parent of a child with *any* disability.

Amazing article Skizzy but I'm going to have to disagree with you.

I think that we do value the parents of terminally ill parents and those who make sacrifices in order to care for others. While they may not be acknowledged publicly as much as say politicians or celebrities, I don't think the general public would say that they value politicians over those. I may read and hear about politicians and their work on a daily basis, but I don't respect or value them as much as Muhammad Yunus (Grameen Bank & winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006) or Govindappa Venkataswamy (founder of the Aravind Eye Hospital) who you do not hear about as much if at all. Those are two very inspiring people whose work is amazing.

They make you think about just how shallow the media focus often is and how often news is unimportant. When I hear about those unsung hero's, it just feels so much realer than politicians and celebrities and I think others have that too. There are no doubts about why they are doing what they do and that's truly inspiring. The difficult part (about it getting attention) is that it's so mundane, and that's what's so inspiring to me. This is day in, day out stuff. It's not going to catch headlines, they aren't lifting cars. To do what they do, especially with regards to care day in and day out is exhausting physically, mentally and emotionally.

When my grandmother was very ill, had a very slim chance and was in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) it was so difficult for the family. We were always there for her during the day and would take turns making sure that we were always with her. That was for a few weeks and it was just so difficult for everyone. It was draining, depressing, scary and it was like we were detached from the real world. There didn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel. We just had to keep on going and putting are all into what little we could do. The family, her, the doctors and the nurses did so much. For us, it was just with her for those long weeks but then you have the doctors and nurses who are there day in and day out with a few patients. I don't know how they do it. That's what's so difficult about it getting attention is because it's day in and day out and if you look at it on a one day perspective, it doesn't look like that much but truly remarkable over even a span of a few days and I think that we value that above the politicians and celebrities. If people don't, then they haven't been exposed to it or are a small minority.

Underappreciated rather than undervalued.

I agree with Rachel, to a point.

It's not surprising that awards created by politicians are awarded disproportionately to members of the political class. I agree that those awards don't speak to the public's general opinion of politicians. When it comes to entertainers, however, I disagree with Rachel. Our media is a mirror, and it reflects a culture infatuated with elites in commerce and (especially) entertainment. I believe our hero-worship says much about what we value, and it's damning. (When I say "our," I mean American-- but I suspect my observations mostly hold true in other Western cultures also.)

There's something universal about caring for family, and I'd be the first to say that I'm a mediocre parent who has done some pretty extraordinary things (if I do say so myself :p ) simply because I had no other choice. Whether it's caring for an ailing elder, a disabled child, or another loved one, most of us rise to the occasion when duty calls. Maybe there's a good reason we don't get medals for that.

The question of military honors is more complicated.

A family friend passed away last year, a couple months shy of his 92nd birthday. He won the Silver Star at Iwo Jima; for those not familiar with U.S. military honors, the Silver Star is the second-highest military honor, and the highest that can be awarded to someone not serving in a command capacity. The stories of that battle are harrowing; I'm sure at some point during the battle he was convinced he would die on that godforsaken island. Thankfully, God had other plans-- he lived an additional 65 years and touched many people, including my family. I'll probably never know what act of extraordinary heroism our friend performed that day, because he never told us-- the only reason I know he won the Silver Star is because it got a passing mention in his obituary. If I had had the opportunity to ask about his heroism, I expect our friend would have humbly said that he did what anyone in his position would have-- which, incidentally, is what Sgt. Giunta consistently says when asked about his more recent heroism.

I don't know if I believe these heroes when they say they did what anyone else in their shoes would have done. Obviously, their commanders didn't think so-- more U.S. military medals were awarded for valor at Iwo Jima than any other battle since the American Civil War, but only a tiny fraction of the men who fought there earned Medals of Honor or Silver Stars. By contrary, caring for family is instinctive, in a way that military heroism is not. Maybe that's why we give medals to people who do the latter, but not the former. Or maybe it's because our politicians have read their Machiavelli and understand they are more dependent on our military (and its heroes in particular) than they are on the rest of us.

Whatever may be true of military valor, there's nothing instinctive about choosing to make a living as a hospice nurse, or a special-education teacher, or an aide to adults with traumatic brain injuries. None of those are particularly lucrative careers, either. So here, I disagree with Rachel: these heroes are underappreciated and undervalued.

On a more serious subject, I just discovered a 10-page thread on another message board that contains dozens of pictures of Kate Upton in various states of undress. I hope Costco is having a sale on Kleenex.

An LoA might be in order.

Skizzy...I love that transition. Reminds me of Fired Up! where one of the main characters realizes he appreciates his cheerleader friends as *true* friends, then instantly comments on some girl's nice butt on TV.

Back