A Taste of Skizz #20

The region already has two strong candidates standing for President; perhaps others will join them. I have committed to remain neutral, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have strong feelings. Those feelings have more to do with what our priorities ought to be than about who ought to be charged with executing on them – because, frankly, both Sopo and Apollo are excellent candidates.

In an effort to shape the conversation without compromising my neutrality, here’s a list of 20 questions I hope the candidates will answer. Without further ado:

1. Rachel and her team have gotten us off to a great start in the post-script era. What’s she doing right, and how will you sustain that success?

2. Europeia has not been at “war” since most of us first arrived here. What does it mean to be at war?

3. Should we join our allies in declaring war on the Greater German Reich?

4. How will you sustain and expand upon the improvements we have made this term in our external communications?

5. Both current candidates are planning to reduce the size of the Cabinet. How do you plan to get people who think themselves worthy of a Cabinet post to work just as hard in a JM capacity?

6. We have committed to respect the sovereignty of indigenous governments in the feeder and sinker regions. How do you interpret this responsibility?

7. What is the President’s proper role in the legislative process?

8. How will you measure success in each ministry?

9. What should be our Navy’s priorities, and how do those priorities differ from those of our allies?

10. Can you provide an example of how you have overcome a challenging personal relationship to get something done for Europeia?

11. What role will the Attorney General play in your administration, assuming that criminal prosecutions do not take up a significant portion of his/her time?

12. What opportunities, if any, do you see for us to work collaboratively with our allies next term, beyond continuing existing military cooperation?

13. What is the proper function of the EIA, and what role does the President have to play in that?

14. Under what circumstances, if any, should Europeia be willing to work with regions who are allied with Nazi-themed regions?

15. How will you motivate people to work hard for the good of Europeia?

16. Apart from whether mandatory service is needed to ensure adequate recruitment, welcoming, etc., should there be a law mandating that government officials (or some of them) do their fair share of the “grunt work” necessary to sustain the region?

17. What challenges are you anticipating in the next 2-3 months that you suspect most people here are not?

18. Where do you think we will attract the most active citizens – from recruitment and welcoming of new players, or from among players who are already active in another NationStates region?

19. Leaders must set priorities. What areas of government will you de-emphasize in the coming term?

20. The next President will face a situation where his/her three most recent predecessors are no longer active in the day-to-day affairs of the region. How will you avoid burning out and becoming the fourth?

Thank you for the questions. I'll begin tackling them tomorrow. ^_^

Yeah, I'm still only on an iPad, which I won't have tomorrow, so probably Sunday or Monday I'll have my lap top all ready to go.

1. Rachel and her team have gotten us off to a great start in the post-script era. What’s she doing right, and how will you sustain that success?
Rachel has managed to pull together a great team of recruiters, which is essential to our success. At this point, recruiting is "new" again, so people are more willing to take on a task that used to be considered drudgery. Before long, though, recruiters will need more motivation- creative recruiting contests are my favorite way to achieve this. Late in my term as President, we held a zombie-themed recruiting contest, which saw some success. I'd like to see more creative ideas like that come to fruiting to keep recruiting at the forefront of everyone's mind.

2. Europeia has not been at “war” since most of us first arrived here. What does it mean to be at war?

When we are at war as Europeians, we are battling an enemy every way we can- with the Navy, with our diplomacy, and with the WA. Not only that, but we must be officially bound, with the support of the people, to fight the conflict. A war is more than what we see on day-to-day raids; to be "at war" is a state of existence where we are dedicated to the defeat of a designated denizen (sorry, it was too good an opportunity for alliteration). We must not enter into war lightly.

I have fought the perceived need for a war against the Greater German Reich, but as time goes by and talks progress, I am further swayed to consider an official declaration. It is already my goal to thwart the GGR at every turn- being officially at war, at this point, would be nothing more than a change in name.

4. How will you sustain and expand upon the improvements we have made this term in our external communications?

In my platform, I mention the Ambassador Training Academy as a method to better train our ambassadors for work abroad. There is more we can do, however. Our ambassadors need to be active. Ambassadors who aren't active on our forums certainly aren't active in their assigned embassies. Inactive ambassadors will be fired and replaced. The standard for activity will also be upped. Ambassadors should be visiting their assigned regions at least twice weekly, and after posting updates they should be checking during the following days for comments/questions to respond to. I continue to hold that our ambassadors should be more than mail-carriers.

5. Both current candidates are planning to reduce the size of the Cabinet. How do you plan to get people who think themselves worthy of a Cabinet post to work just as hard in a JM capacity?

The adage "there are no small parts, only small actors" rings true here. Members with their priorities in order will work hard for the region no matter what position they're in, and those are the kind of people I want working for me- not the prima donnas that need their ego stroked before they lift a finger. My goal is not to alienate people by shrinking the Cabinet, but I think we're all mature enough to accept that not everyone can serve in the Cabinet and that every position is important and appreciated.

6. We have committed to respect the sovereignty of indigenous governments in the feeder and sinker regions. How do you interpret this responsibility?

In short, we shouldn't be meddling in their internal affairs, and we most certainly should not be raiding them. It is important that the Feeders are strong and independent, because they are where nations are born. Nations that are born into regions of indoctrination (be it raider, defender, or otherwise) will not have the chance to learn and grow in the NationStates world on their own. It benefits both us and the Feeders that their sovereignty be maintained- we gain fruitful relationships and the potential that citizens in the Feeders will join up here, and they, obviously, have a better chance at maintaining independence.

7. What is the President’s proper role in the legislative process?

It should be minimal. The President is given the power to veto, and he/she should not be afraid to use that power, but the President should also allow the Senate to work independently when possible. The President should keep a tab on Senate happenings and should make his/her opinion known when asked for or needed, but should, on the whole, refrain from interfering.

Navy: Are we raiding (successfully)? Are the raids meaningful? How many sailors are participating?
Foreign: Are our embassies abroad active and updated? Are we building/solidifying our presence as a major player on the NationStates stage? Are we working with our allies and friends?
Culture: Are we giving the region opportunities to participate in fun activities? Are citizens enjoying their experience in Europeia (especially in leisure/fun areas)? Is/was SummerFest awesome?
Welfare: Are nations being welcomed? Are nations joining the forums and remaining?
Interior: Are nations being recruited? Are nations moving to Europeia?

These are but a few questions designed to measure success, though it can be difficult to quantify success.

9. What should be our Navy’s priorities, and how do those priorities differ from those of our allies?

Our Navy's priorities should be growing our updater force and conducting larger and more significant raids. We should also be focusing on the conflict with the GGR while making sure it doesn't consume all of our efforts. Our allies vary greatly- some aren't raider, for one. However, I think the conflict with the GGR will unite our efforts and those of our allies over the next term, if only temporarily.

10. Can you provide an example of how you have overcome a challenging personal relationship to get something done for Europeia?

The end of my term as President was mired with personal conflict within my Cabinet, but, by the end, the region was on the upswing again. I cannot say it was entirely overcome, but I made it work for as long as I had to.

11. What role will the Attorney General play in your administration, assuming that criminal prosecutions do not take up a significant portion of his/her time?

The Attorney General will be a legal adviser, making sure actions of the Cabinet are in line with current law. The AG's advice will also be appreciated on all issues- extra voices prevent mistakes and generate new ideas. The AG, outside of his/her limited defined duties, will be a "bonus" Cabinet member.

12. What opportunities, if any, do you see for us to work collaboratively with our allies next term, beyond continuing existing military cooperation?

SummerFest! SummerFest is a great opportunity for cultural exchange between ourselves and all of our allies. I will personally invite each Head of State from each of our allied regions to participate in a "President's Banquet" of sorts, to allow all the leaders to mingle in a stress-free environment. There will be no politicking or treaty-writing or anything of the sort, just good ol' fashioned fun.

13. What is the proper function of the EIA, and what role does the President have to play in that?

The proper function of the EIA is that no one know the proper function of the EIA, and the President should be working to the end of said proper function. :ph43r:

14. Under what circumstances, if any, should Europeia be willing to work with regions who are allied with Nazi-themed regions?

Never- this stems from the word "allied" in the question. Regions who have occasionally worked with Nazis may be allowed more flexibility, so long as we don't work directly with Nazis. Allied, though, implies support to Nazi regions beyond the simple act of raiding, and that is intolerable.

Shinies and encouraging speeches. I am also a fan of promising to self-deprecate myself in the event someone succeeds at something (see also: "President Shortcake").

16. Apart from whether mandatory service is needed to ensure adequate recruitment, welcoming, etc., should there be a law mandating that government officials (or some of them) do their fair share of the “grunt work” necessary to sustain the region?

Mandate, no. I like the idea that government members are given an unofficial quota so that tabs are kept on whether or not officials recruit, but I think the ultimate punishment should come from the voters, not the Interior Ministry.

17. What challenges are you anticipating in the next 2-3 months that you suspect most people here are not?

Nazism will be a recurring theme that I don't believe has been touched on much in the private sphere. The ongoing conference in Empires of Earth is likely just the beginning of a long conflict with a true moral evil that we have the capability to fight. Aside from that, it is very difficult to anticipate challenges before they are already upon us.

18. Where do you think we will attract the most active citizens – from recruitment and welcoming of new players, or from among players who are already active in another NationStates region?

The latter. Many people don't realize how effective our foreign affairs are as a recruiting tool. This folds in with my "city upon a hill" platform theme. If we are seen as a great, flourishing region, established players will come here to be a part of it. I, myself, was brought in this way. Though the number of citizens gained this way may be less than those gained by traditional recruiting, they are more likely to stick around and more likely to get involved immediately.

19. Leaders must set priorities. What areas of government will you de-emphasize in the coming term?

I hate these types of question, because no one wants to see anything de-emphasized. A better way for me to phrase it is that some Ministries will need less pushing than others- Interior, for example, is fairly easy to run when being run correctly. I don't anticipate that we'll need to put much extra effort into Interior, the same with Welfare. We know what we need to do and how to do it, so the only remaining task is, simply, to do it.

20. The next President will face a situation where his/her three most recent predecessors are no longer active in the day-to-day affairs of the region. How will you avoid burning out and becoming the fourth?

I've been there, and I know what it's like. I will manage my time better and keep this term about business rather than personal relationships. That's my key.

1. Rachel and her team have gotten us off to a great start in the post-script era. What is she doing right, and how will you sustain that success?
First, Rachel has been doing great; she and her team have been doing some heavy recruiting since the script when done a mere 10 days ago. We're off to a great start and we need to continue with a core group of recruiters. What she's doing is getting people to recruit when it needs to be done and is gaining us some new members. To sustain this we'll be holding recruiting competitions and will continue to motivate people to recruit -- whether they be oldies or new blood. Really, we need to motivate people to recruit and I don't think that will be much of a problem.

2. Europeia has not been at war since most of us first arrived here. What does it mean to be at war?
First, I'm almost always against going to war in NS. It's hard to do effectively more than just saying that they're bad people or that we need to 'destroy' them. To be effectively at war you need to actively oppose what you're an enemy is doing and that is particularly when raiding. If we have an enemy that we're at war with we need to take their colonies or stop them from taking the places we've taken.

No. It would be a mistake. We don't need to go to war with them to oppose them and work against them. We can work against them without being at war.

We'll continue to grow deeper bonds with regions like NPO, Laz and TSP. Our FA Minister will be active in foreign communities and will work with our allies in any way possible. The EAAC has been greatly utilised this term and that needs to continue to further FA with other regions. I will also, personally be involved in each of our treatied allies and other allies.

In my campaign thread I said there would be more Deputy Ministers, newer or older people who were ready for a Deputy Minister spot. New members of Europeia will specifically be JMs and they will be taught and mentored a specific job by myself, Lethen and/or the Minister.

What we should be doing is not messing around with their government. We should help them in any way they need assistance and we should promote their general welfare and that they should be independent from regions created by players. We also shouldn't try to coup them or corrupt them in anyway. They are a separate institution, and should be open for all players to find peace, whether they be newly founded or refounded to continue with NS.

7. What is the President's proper role in the legislative process?
Pretty much what Skizzy has been doing -- jumping in when he needed, etc. The Pres. Should be aware of what is currently happening in the Legislative process as well as interjecting when needed. The President shouldn't be too involved and should tell Senators that he plans to veto something and why before it is passed by the Senate.

That's rather simple, we should always be aware whether what we want to be doing/as said in our campaign is being done. Pretty much whether we're reaching the goals we set out.

9. What should be our Navy's priorities, and how do those priorities differ from those of our allies?

We should be taking regions that our worth taking. This term we focused on getting raids done effectively and with an adequate updater force. I don't think people realize how hard calculating a good update is and how a mere second can throw you off. The Navy is and probably always will be underrated. Only the GA can really know how difficult this is to do, and we've seen struggles finding good update times In previous terms. We should always be working with our allies when they ask, and hopefully we'll be leading the charge into bigger targets.

I hate to say it, but not really. I'll always try my best to overcome anything for Europeia. I've overcome a lot of late nights to raid with Europeia, if that counts. :p

Continuing to work with the JTC and working on lessons for newer members who want to learn. The AG's job will be mostly be his/her decision. I don't want to meddle with something I'm not an expert on, and my AG is pretty good with Judicial -- stuff --. The AG will also work my closely with the Senate.

Never ever. Ever.

Comepetitions! Everyone loves a friendly competition, don't they? There will be awards and happiness and all that fun stuff. Really, we'll just be asking them to do what any citizen should do - send a few recruitment telegrams here and there, be an Ambassador, etc.

I've been here steady for 7 months. I'm not going anywhere. :p

Back