A Taste of Skizz #18

No, it's not a column about the classic Fleetwood Mac album; it's about Hyanygo's rejected nomination to the High Court.

Little defense has been made of Hyanygo's credentials, because those of us who have been here some time felt they spoke for themselves. In short, although Hy professes not to be a "heavyweight," his judicial resume is rivaled only by Anumia's. (I learned this the hard way; back when the Chief Justice was an elected position, I ran for CJ on the heels of a successful prosecution of Rougiers -- and got my ass handed to me.) Even HEM, who has been a sometimes strident critic of Hy's jurisprudence, felt he was a strong nominee and should have been confirmed.

So, why did the Senate reject Hyanygo's nomination? Well, the three Senators who voted nay gave no reason at the time, but after a private citizen (and the President) pressed the issue, two Senators offered a response (one justifying his nay vote, the othet justifying his abstention).

Did these Senators cite concerns about Hy's jurisprudence?

No. They cited a concern raised privately to them by an as-yet-unnamed citizen. One also cited Hy's opinion on a recent matter of public concern, and his friendship with a former citizen of this region. Based on these proffered reasons, one wonders if articles of impeachment are being drafted against me.

Look, I have written at length about a creeping loyalty agenda, and I think the rejection of Hy's nomination is concrete proof of the pernicious effect such an agenda is already having on our politics. But leave that aside -- because if we take their public statements at face value, it's clear that their main concern was the reservations expressed privately to them. Hy was offered no opportunity to respond to this private smear campaign.

Whatever you may think of Hy's fitness for judicial service, he deserved a chance to respond to his critics. The President deserved a reason for the Senate's rejection of his nominee. The region deserved a debate over the rumors that the Senate evidently deemed sufficient to render one of this region's (and the game's) most esteemed jurists unfit for service.

Instead, we got rumor-mongering. For shame.

First...we need a facepalm smiley...

Secondly, at no point did I suggest that you were talking out of your ass, or that you didn't know what you were talking about. I'm new here. I get that. I don't know all the players, all the backstory, all the events of the past like the people who lived it.

But I do know that this is a game - and this is one vote, on one nomination in this game. It is not the end of the world, it is not the end of the Court, and your reaction seems to be way out of proportion. In fact, the intense seriousness some people take in this game is a little bit off-putting. Its one thing to be intense, and focused, and really into it. I like that. But this...

Whatever. I did not suggest you didn't know what you were talking about, or anything like that. What I did suggest is that perhaps you were overracting a little. Actually, if we're going to be honest here, I think you're overreacting by a hell of a lot, but that's neither here nor there.

Overeaction does not mean you don't know what you're talking about.

If you're going to take offense at my words, please actually take offense at what I said.

Wow....

Look, I do think the lack of debate/etc was a very bad thing, but don't you think you're overreacting just a bit, PhDre?
Kyrk, there's a little history here. In December 2010, I sank my presidential bid (Dre was my running mate) with a certain two-word rejoinder I directed at Onder and NES. Since then, I have been confirmed by the Senate on six different occasions (AG three times, AJ twice, and MoFA) without a single nay vote, in addition to serving as President and VP. In light of this history, I think Dre thought Apollo's concerns about Hy's cursing were pretty silly.

I apologize if it seemed that I took offense to your words. I approach everything in this game with a singular passion. I know what I'm talking about, which is why I believe that this is an egregious violation of a number of expectations that citizens have of their elected officials.

That being said, the concerns of this 'private citizen' and in turn, of the Senators, attacks the integrity and record of a player who has done so much for Europeia. If I am overzealous or overreacting in my attempt to set the record straight on one of the great judicial minds of our region, I cannot apologize for that. Apollo's reasoning is to me the sort that would be shot down in a comment or two in the Grand Hall. I wish that these concerns had been publicly stated because they are foolish, naive, and damaging to the record of a great Europeian and because he is and was point blank the best man for the job.

Edit: Indeed, Skizzy's comment does a bit more justice to my bewilderment and outright disbelief with this awful decision by these three Senators, none of which will be gracing my ballot box.

Wow....

Look, I do think the lack of debate/etc was a very bad thing, but don't you think you're overreacting just a bit, PhDre?
Kyrk, there's a little history here. In December 2010, I sank my presidential bid (Dre was my running mate) with a certain two-word rejoinder I directed at Onder and NES. Since then, I have been confirmed by the Senate on six different occasions (AG three times, AJ twice, and MoFA) without a single nay vote, in addition to serving as President and VP. In light of this history, I think Dre thought Apollo's concerns about Hy's cursing were pretty silly.
I was talking about the post he made BEFORE that one.

He has issues with the rejection of Hy - I get that.

But he's taking it seriously, and almost personally, it seems to me.

Wow....

I was talking about the post he made BEFORE that one.

He has issues with the rejection of Hy - I get that.

But he's taking it seriously, and almost personally, it seems to me.
And if I take the game seriously? There are moments where I can do that, others where I can do nothing but sit and laugh at some of the characters I meet along the way, or in disbelief at some of these situations.

In considering all of the issues as we now know them, I would still have voted to confirm Hyanygo even if I had been privy to those 'concerns' at the time. In my view, it is a stretch to consider friendship to two people who screwed over the region as actual disloyalty to the region. Loyalty to Oliver and Earth does not mean that he is disloyal to Europeian interests, and particularly as a fine jurist who has served with distinction on the Bench thus far, it is a significant injustice that these concerns resulted in Senators making a knee-jerk reaction with zero debate and zero chance for the candidate to respond.

Many of the Senators who voted against the nomination are otherwise fine Senators and good additions to the Senate, and some of them I will probably even vote for again, however, I differ very strongly on how many of them handled this matter.
I am sorry I didn't raise concerns at the beginning, and I'm not sure why my peers didn't either. I voted Nay because of the way he acted in the last article Skizzy wrote and I quoted him in teh Senatia Forum and can again if people want me to point out specific points where other felt he was insubordante. I thought that he had disgraced the bench by continuing to swear and say he didn't care. Indiviual citizens did not like this either and urged me to vote against his Nomination. Also, I think we need a fresh face on the bench opposed to another "heavyweight" Justice.
Although I disagree strongly with them, it is not your concerns which disturb me, but that we did not have a chance to debate the issue and allow the candidate to respond.

As the Speaker of the Senate, I do take care of the procedural side of Senate business, but if you or anybody else needs to delay a vote or keep a discussion thread open for longer, then I need to hear about it. That's one other thing that I want to make clear for the future.

This said, I still believe that you will make a good Senator in the future, and I will likely vote for you, but keep in mind the lessons of this experience for the future.

Apollo's stance regarding officials swearing and such does make sense, particularly since it was something Aurora and Hyanygo criticized him for (and made a big deal about) in the City Council. It is also a testament to the diversity in the region that you have such different perspectives on behaviour among prominent citizens. However, I doubt that either perspective would weight those actions (swearing and such) enough to vote even abstain in the Senate.

Likely the way Hyanygo behaved towards Apollo in the City Council weighed too heavily in his decision. It should have been discussed in the Senate though.

Let's not get carried away with this though, it's easy to see how someone who saw the attitude in the City Council could feel that such behaviour is a weight.

I only have one thing to say on this topic. When hy was posting in that thread, it is obvious he was not going anti Europeia, trying to defend earth and Oliver(which he can do if he wants to it shouldn't be a big deal), or anything else like that; he was saying that it was stupid for everyone to keep it going when it's in the past, and he was right; we all need to let the past be the past and focus on the here and now, not something we can't change nor can anyone even really understand what truly went down( I've yet to hear a real coherent story from anyone as to what happened so it is clear no one does or ever will know exactly what went down). Hy should not have gotten railed for saying that the topic was old news and pointless to talk about when the topic was just that. As for the cussing thing, that is just stupid.

I read the first sentence, then got really disappointed. I am now listening Go Your Own Way on Youtube.

Kyrk, there's a little history here. In December 2010, I sank my presidential bid (Dre was my running mate) with a certain two-word rejoinder I directed at Onder and NES.
heart you?
love you?

oh I remember now!

fuck you hyper.gif

I was going to post about the use of swearing as a negative metric, but someone already beat me to it.

I believe that a couple good points have been missed with regards to Hy as a candidate for Chief Justice

1.Hy has a lousy attitude (as demonstrated by his constantly repeating the phrase, “I don’t give a Sh-t”). That is NOT the attitude I desire to see displayed by the Chief Justice.

2.Sure, he could do the job. Then again there are a great many other citizens in Europeia who “Could” do the job.

3.How could anyone else get a chance to do the job if you ONLY put people in the office who are A. “Overqualified” or B. Have held the office before?

Are we truly willing to tie our hands and reject other candidates because we want only certain (The Chosen) people to hold certain positions within our government?
Breath people. Relax and let it go. I am sure that with the next administration there will be another chance to swing things back the other way :)

Hy has a lousy attitude (as demonstrated by his constantly repeating the phrase, “I don’t give a Sh-t”). That is NOT the attitude I desire to see displayed by the Chief Justice.

Chuck, this controversy has more to do with process than outcome; otherwise, there would not be such a broad cross-section of the population upset about this. If the three Senators in question had made the point you did about Hy's attitude on the Senate floor, it wouldn't have been all that controversial. Hell, if even one of them had done so, at least Hy would have had an opportunity to respond.

This is about cowardice, with a dose of backstabbing thrown in for good measure. Surely those aren't values you wish to defend.

Hy has a lousy attitude (as demonstrated by his constantly repeating the phrase, “I don’t give a Sh-t”). That is NOT the attitude I desire to see displayed by the Chief Justice.

Chuck, this controversy has more to do with process than outcome; otherwise, there would not be such a broad cross-section of the population upset about this. If the three Senators in question had made the point you did about Hy's attitude on the Senate floor, it wouldn't have been all that controversial. Hell, if even one of them had done so, at least Hy would have had an opportunity to respond.

This is about cowardice, with a dose of backstabbing thrown in for good measure. Surely those aren't values you wish to defend.
Hello my name is politics, what's yours? :p

Back