A Shift in the CSO

A Shift in the CSO
A small history of the CSO and an idea for its future
Written by JayDee

When looking through the archives, one of the most consistent themes of the presidential election is how we are supposed to improve our Civil Service Officium (CSO). Every 70 days, a new idea comes forth on how to fix this issue, and more often than not it either makes it worse, or does nothing for the issue at all. It has become a constant cycle of problems that changes with each supposed solution.

When I first joined, the problem was the application process. Newcomers had to apply to each individual ministry page and answer a few questions in order to get into the Ministry. Eventually the problem became highlighted that doing such was intimidating and tedious for newcomers and just took too long for old timers. To resolve it, the idea was introduced to centralize the application process, which is what we have today.

Now a new problem has arisen, many assistant ministers (AMs) find themselves out of their depth in a ministry that they don’t understand and ministers find themselves unable to employ able bodied workers because they don’t know enough about each individual person.

With all the problems that it has caused, why do we have the CSO in the first place? Our founder, HEM, came from an allied region of the Land of Kings and Emperors (LKE), a region known as Great Britain & Ireland. Naturally, much of Europeia’s early history and decisions were influenced by LKE, including the creation of junior ministers(JM). Similar to what is today known as assistant ministers, junior ministers were volunteer based positions. The difference is that junior ministers were chosen by the ministers themselves to serve under them in a specific area. Similar to a real job, there were only spaces available if the Ministers opened up a space. Multiple people would begin applying for one single spot, and typically it became a game of favorites to see who would earn the spot as JM. While not always commonplace, there were some who would give heavy priority to people in their own political party over others. Naturally, this caused larger gaps in the skills and abilities of Europeians. Some players got better while others stagnated.

After nearly two years with this system, HEM finally came out with a new idea, the Civil Service Act. ”This was just too complex, and never worked,” HEM remarked about the junior minister system in a Grand Hall speech prior to the proposal. Now, JMs could sign up to the Civil Service, and someone would go through the process of finding an appropriate fit for the new JM. While an improvement, this didn’t solve everything. For a while it worked, but with the boom in population, the CSO didn’t have time to interview every individual assistant minister to put them in the right spot.

Despite its flaws, the CSO has contributed tremendously to the growth of Europeia. Presidents now have a pool of able bodied AMs to select from to fulfill a ministerial post when they ascend to the Goldenblock. On the player side, they are able to build up experience in areas that they care about. Contributing to the region at a pace that they prefer in a friendly environment.

It’s obvious the CSO is in need of further development, even after all these years. Newly elected President, Calvin Coolidge, proposed another shift in the CSO program, introducing a point system throughout the Civil Services to reward members for their contributions. Stating in his platform “the activity will be converted into a point system, a la Harry Potter...for those being rewarded, the CSO will award ranks to workers weekly based on their progress.”

Using a points system would be similar to what the Ministry of Interior already has with its Harry Potter roleplay program, from which the idea is derived. However, I believe this could lead to even bigger changes, including a complete reform of the CSO as we know it today. This could include refounding the CSO into a new system that gives greater access to AMs and encourages greater collaboration across the ministries.

In this new system, a citizen no longer has to apply for each ministry that they would like to participate in. Like the Citizens’ Assembly, a citizen is automatically a part of every ministry upon becoming a citizen. What does that mean for the ministries? It means more eyeballs on discussion in each area, more people to critique ideas that are presented and contribute to said idea. A larger pool of members to choose from in each ministry. One of the greatest problems is that each ministry is treated as its own entirely separate entity, there is little to no push for collaboration amongst the ministries. This can be almost entirely eliminated with the new system. Assistant ministers can carry over ideas from one ministry to the next without fear of repercussion. Ministers themselves can openly expend resources on projects started in other ministries that they may believe affects their ministry. Now projects can be worked on by multiple ministries at the same time without having to worry about keeping discussion secret.

The first issue that most might ask is how are we supposed to keep these ideas a secret in order to surprise people outside the ministry? Well, we have no need to keep these projects a secret once they’re introduced by the minister. Perhaps at the very beginning stage when it’s just a discussion between ministers, but once the idea is introduced, it’s pointless to keep it secret. Ideas like the Harry Potter roleplay gained nothing by being kept secret, if anything, it lost something. With less people able to see the product in its planning stage, there is a high possibility that something could have been missed, an unspoken idea that couldn’t be acted upon.

Where this could create the biggest problem is more than likely the Communications ministry, where ministers prefer to keep proposed articles hidden from public viewing until it’s published. That’s where keeping information slightly hidden from public eye is preferred. Instead, we will continue to use the idea recently utilized by Communications Minister Deepest House. A forum will be created solely for the introduction of articles. Only the Ministers, Deputy Ministers, and author will be able to hold access to this forum. The author only holding it for a temporary amount of time, until their article is published.

Whether or not this idea becomes a reality, I think it's time we got a discussion going amongst the citizenry in where we want to go with the CSO and what the possibilities lie ahead with it.

I don't see much wrong with planning articles in public. You're giving people outside the Ministry a chance to make their own suggestions and contribute in their own way, it's just a matter of the ministry itself putting those ideas on paper.

Seven Deaths said:
If they want to give suggestions and contribute, they could join the Ministry.
Or if it doesn't really matter you can make it a little easier by keeping things public.

Transparency is important but I think the main thing here that no on has really talked about as far as I can tell on my phone is collaboration. Hy mentioned it, but one thing we don't really discuss is improving collaboration and resource management. In particular, the mediums we use for it and how we use them. One of the main things we can do to improve the CSO is improve the ways we utilize subforums and discord. I think often we treat this as an afterthought.. we make discord channels and servers to fulfill single projects but don't look at the big picture. We don't look at it from the users perspective and how we can make collaboration easier for them.

In the WA forums, we had a big issue with this. I had members more experienced than myself tell me that they weren't sure which of the three forums they should be checking. We had built new forums without looking at ease and overall collaboration. Rather, we kept making new forums for new ideas and projects. This clearly is not conducive to a good working environment that maximizes collaboration. In other ways, I'm not sure that our discord channel currently is enough to handle the real time collaboration I want right now. But that will take more thinking about.

Siol Alse said:
Seven Deaths said:
Or if it doesn't really matter you can make it a little easier by keeping things public.
Joining a ministry shows commitment. Commitment that is rewarded by gaining entrance to a Ministry planning forum. Some guy walks in off the street is just window shopping an article or idea, doesn't have the same level of commitment.

Seven Deaths said:
Siol Alse said:
Seven Deaths said:
Joining a ministry shows commitment. Commitment that is rewarded by gaining entrance to a Ministry planning forum. Some guy walks in off the street is just window shopping an article or idea, doesn't have the same level of commitment.
This, this, a hundred times this.

Darcness said:
Seven Deaths said:
Siol Alse said:
Seven Deaths said:
Joining a ministry doesn't show jack. I could join every ministry just to see the pages, that's not commitment. I'm in 6 ministries right now, only 4 of which I'm at least partially active/interested in. Personally, I joined the others to expand my horizons, but it didn't end up working out. However, that's another benefit of this, players get to expand their horizons and experiment with all sorts of different ministries and then settle into a place that you like.

JayDee said:
Darcness said:
Seven Deaths said:
Siol Alse said:
Seven Deaths said:
Joining a ministry doesn't show jack. I could join every ministry just to see the pages, that's not commitment. I'm in 6 ministries right now, only 4 of which I'm at least partially active/interested in. Personally, I joined the others to expand my horizons, but it didn't end up working out. However, that's another benefit of this, players get to expand their horizons and experiment with all sorts of different ministries and then settle into a place that you like.
I agree with JayDee here. If I wanted to, I could go join every ministry right now without having any intentions of doing anything there. Joining a ministry shows nothing except you can press a few buttons. While I get the goal of hiding some things in culture or comms to keep them more entertaining, I think there are absolutely some ministries which have nothing they need hidden. Allowing people to see and partake in discussions in a ministry without being part of that ministry does no harm, and it will allow people who have something to say to say it even if they aren't in the ministry.

If you're joining every ministry without intentions on doing anything, then why are you doing it? You're assuming that just because you can join every ministry means that it's not a commitment. The proper thing to do is join a Ministry you likel, that you'll want to do things in, and show your worth. Just because some people join Ministries without intending to do anything, doesn't mean that everyone does.

That's what people should do, but it isn't, in reality, what many actually do. Many just join some ministries so they can be a part of the fan club, rather than out of any interest.

People will be able to add to discussion at their own pleasure. If they see something worth getting into, they can hop into the discussion and add their two cents. For newcomers, you get to experience life in all the ministries, then inevitably you'll lose interest in some of them and invest more time in the ones you like. For older players, you can invest time in the ministries you like, while still being able to add to discussions in ministries you're not all the interested in when you deem it necessary. When it comes to 'commitment' it won't change that, I admit that. It will not change at all, people will still be in ministries that they don't care about in any way, shape, or form, regardless of what system you put in place.

In the end, if the actual meat and potatoes of a Ministry is being done by the same people then this will have accomplished nothing. It strikes me way too much as just handing out participation trophies to all the kids, even if they sucked.

For newcomers, you get to experience life in all the ministries, then inevitably you'll lose interest in some of them and invest more time in the ones you like.
How about instead of opening up the Ministries to everyone, you just create a "Season Pass" of sorts to new players that allows them to do just this. See the inner workings of all the Ministries and then they can pick and choose which ones they'd like to join after.

For older players, you can invest time in the ministries you like, while still being able to add to discussions in ministries you're not all the interested in when you deem it necessary.

I'd like to know how many older people would actually read ministries they're not interested in.

When it comes to 'commitment' it won't change that, I admit that. It will not change at all, people will still be in ministries that they don't care about in any way, shape, or form, regardless of what system you put in place.
Then I have a hard time seeing the merit for change if we don't think the change will actually, well, change anything.

SD is my spirit animal when it comes to this topic <3

I apologize for the late response, I didn't have access to my laptop yesterday and I felt like this deserved more than a generic response from my phone

On newcomers: I like the idea of a season pass, but that doesn't completely cover why I came up with the idea. Over the time I've been here, each ministry tends to be treated as its own separate entity, rather than another gear in the machine that is our government. I have seen minimal effort taken towards collaboration between ministries, especially at the AM level. While there may be collaboration in the Tomlinson, it does not translate to the public eye. By opening up ministries to everyone, ministries can exchange ideas at the lowest level, encouraging a more tight knit executive community.

Old players: I can't speak for every single older player, but I have seen potential examples of this. Lethen is the first who comes to mind, he'll occasionally pop into a discussion somewhere leave a comment, and immediately disappear after that. Hyangyo tends to do the exact same thing based on what little observation I have.

I never said it won't change anything, don't put words in my mouth. What I said is that people's commitment towards certain ministries won't change, that's not the idea of this article. If you have some great idea to change everyone's feelings of commitment towards the ministries, I'm all ears.

While I was thinking about this response, your proposal of the 'season pass' for newcomers got me thinking a little further. The other issue I presented was collaboration between ministries, but we could possibly fix this by creating a new forum accessible to all ministries that is dedicated to joint projects between ministries. Each ministry will still have their own private discussion, but if a minister believes that a discussion in their ministry would be better served if seen by other ministries, they could post it in this new forum for others to view. I think it creates a good middle ground, while still allowing us to keep that 'season pass' idea you threw out that we could use to give newcomers a better feel for each ministry before officially signing up.

On newcomers: I like the idea of a season pass, but that doesn't completely cover why I came up with the idea. Over the time I've been here, each ministry tends to be treated as its own separate entity, rather than another gear in the machine that is our government. I have seen minimal effort taken towards collaboration between ministries, especially at the AM level. While there may be collaboration in the Tomlinson, it does not translate to the public eye. By opening up ministries to everyone, ministries can exchange ideas at the lowest level, encouraging a more tight knit executive community.

Or, much more likely, this ideas will not be exchanged. Just allowing everyone to see everything doesn't change the fact that there's only a handful of people doing something. And collaboration between ministries should come from the top. If that's to be a priority if this administration, then the President and his Ministers should push for it and ask themselves, how can we cooperate? What's on our docket? Never, ever, rest your hopes for something like this on AMs. We've had a lot of great ones, but we've had three times as many bad ones.

Old players: I can't speak for every single older player, but I have seen potential examples of this. Lethen is the first who comes to mind, he'll occasionally pop into a discussion somewhere leave a comment, and immediately disappear after that. Hyangyo tends to do the exact same thing based on what little observation I have.

Two people is hardly enough to even begin to speak of a trend.

I never said it won't change anything, don't put words in my mouth. What I said is that people's commitment towards certain ministries won't change, that's not the idea of this article. If you have some great idea to change everyone's feelings of commitment towards the ministries, I'm all ears.

You're quite right. I out never said that it wouldn't change anything. But commitment drives our ministries. At it's very core, the AMs and the work they do is everything. You can, structurally, have the most perfect CSO, but if the commitment isn't there, you've got nothing. So if we aren't tackling commitment, if this idea, as you've said, won't change commitment levels, then we have other issues to face first.

While I was thinking about this response, your proposal of the 'season pass' for newcomers got me thinking a little further. The other issue I presented was collaboration between ministries, but we could possibly fix this by creating a new forum accessible to all ministries that is dedicated to joint projects between ministries. Each ministry will still have their own private discussion, but if a minister believes that a discussion in their ministry would be better served if seen by other ministries, they could post it in this new forum for others to view. I think it creates a good middle ground, while still allowing us to keep that 'season pass' idea you threw out that we could use to give newcomers a better feel for each ministry before officially signing up.

That's no a bad idea, I could get behind that to try it out.

We can't force people to do anything here. If people aren't committed, we can't make them feel more committed. The best we can do is give them the tools they need to succeed, if they don't have the commitment that is supposedly so essential, that's on them. Saying it's pointless to try and find a system that works, that's just foolish and lazy. If we aren't willing to do our part, then what gives us a right to say others should do theirs.

I'mg glad you like the idea, but neither one of us really has authority to make it a reality.

On my phone but 100% agree with SD that it's up to the president and cabinet to make inter-ministry collaboration a priority. AMs should not be driving policy - the executive should.

Mousebumples said:
On my phone but 100% agree with SD that it's up to the president and cabinet to make inter-ministry collaboration a priority. AMs should not be driving policy - the executive should.
I'm aware, but that doesn't mean AMs can't try to come up with their own ideas. I knew when I wrote this that it wouldn't be my right to drive policy, I wrote this to (hopefully) get the general populace to care about the CSO rather than expecting every administration to fix all our problems.

We can't force people to do anything here. If people aren't committed, we can't make them feel more committed. The best we can do is give them the tools they need to succeed, if they don't have the commitment that is supposedly so essential, that's on them. Saying it's pointless to try and find a system that works, that's just foolish and lazy. If we aren't willing to do our part, then what gives us a right to say others should do theirs.

See, here's where the issue lies. I don't think there's a problem with our CSO as it stands now. I think there's more we could do to help new people make a decision, as I've stated earlier in this thread, but people who have been here for a while, people who know better, they know what they're doing. They aren't going to be enticed into participating jut because they can read everything. Europeia is a huge forum and there is such a thing as too much.

Back