A Plea for a Private Ballot

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
After what can only be described as the most dramatic series of runoffs in recent Europeian history, I believe it is time to step back and take a look at the process of how these elections come to be. As perhaps the Europeian most familiar with incredibly close elections, having run in five different Presidential or First Minister elections that have either gone to a runoff, been decided by one vote, or gone to the Senate, I think you can trust me when I say that these sort of elections put an incredible strain on the candidates.

To win an election of this sort, a lot of effort needs to be put into reaching out directly to voters on Election Day (or Runoff Day), to ensure that not only they have voted, but they are on your side. These conversations are often time-consuming, stressful, and potentially irksome if the citizens aren't usually conversational with each other. Of course, candidates should reach out to citizens they don't often talk to during the process to gauge which ideas have support and which do not, so they are tuned into what the region is thinking, but Election Day cajoling is an entirely different matter.

Additionally, the stress that comes from not knowing how many voters are out there, and where they could be coming from means that you spend a lot of time looking at the forum seeing who is online, what they are doing, and what they've done to try and figure out if this a potential voter that you need to engage with. It can be hard to take a break, even for a meal or errand run in this state, because you feel that any time away may have meant you missed a vote, which could be the end of your run that you've already sunk many hours into to reach this stage.

Obviously, most elections are not like this one, with multiple stages of voting, and a tied ballot, but the potential is always there, and the well-being of our citizens is something that should always be prioritized. To me, there is a clear solution in the form of making the voting results private until the end of the election.

While this does not remove all problems, it drastically improves the quality of life for the candidate. Candidates will be under much less pressure to talk to every person online on Election Day if they don't feel the pressure that comes from knowing they are X votes behind and need to make up ground. Additionally, there will not be any benefit in “holding votes” until the last few minutes, as there is no need to hide your vote total from your opponent, so the stress that comes from that is also gone.

Furthermore, the benefits of a live vote tally are rather minimal, providing only a partial picture of the race, and serving only to demoralize the candidates involved. Voting “strategically” will also be a thing of the past, as voters will have to base their vote on the candidates themselves, rather than who they think is ahead based on the time they check the ballot box, and voting accordingly.

Of course, candidates will still benefit from getting out the vote, and contacting people to make sure they have cast a ballot, but that's a common practice in real life elections that we would do well to mirror in our game. Where things become unreasonable is in asking the candidates to be subjected to live results for 24, 48, or even 72 hours straight.

In conclusion, I urge the Chancellery to make this change before the next election, and continue this practice going forward. Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, trapped in an eternal runoff.

I can somewhat agree here, but at times its comforting to know people would actually vote for me. Often after every election i wanna personally thank those that voted me but i dont know who they are.

Please, God, let us start using a private ballot with results not being shown until the vote is closed.

I like following the horserace on election day!

This is me, but I also would have been horrified to be DAX, have a three vote lead with 8 minutes let in a race that had gone nowhere for hours, only to see it move to a tie in literally the very last minute. That was hugely entertaining for those of us following it live in Discord, but it might have broken my sanity if I was involved in the race lol

I would support the change, as much as I enjoy watching the real time results.

have a three vote lead with 8 minutes let in a race that had gone nowhere for hours, only to see it move to a tie in literally the very last minute.
Strategic voting has been a part of Europeian elections for as long as I can remember. Sometimes ties happen and sometimes trolls make those ties happen, that does not make it something worth changing the law over for the once in a blue moon that it happens.

Also: :popcorn:

We dont need to change the law. It is both technically and legally possible for the Chancellery to introduce this change. That said, I am not certain it is beneficial or warranted. And in the past, when this question has come up in the Chancellery, we have erred on the side of keeping it open.

We dont need to change the law. It is both technically and legally possible for the Chancellery to introduce this change. That said, I am not certain it is beneficial or warranted. And in the past, when this question has come up in the Chancellery, we have erred on the side of keeping it open.

I think it's worth a discussion, and I find myself somewhat surprised to say that I think I would support making the change. I think if we decide through the course of a region-wide discussion that there's a preference for it being closed, the appropriate way to go would be to dictate it through a legal change rather than hoping the Chancellery does it. I don't know if this is a popular position or not and hope that the First Minister's article here provokes some discussion.

I loved watching the ticker when I wasn't a candidate. Though, when I was, I absolutely agree with Calvin that it's way more nerve-wracking than it needs to be.

I'm glad this is at least getting a discussion thread.

Please, God, let us start using a private ballot with results not being shown until the vote is closed.
It's so weird seeing my words coming out of Aex's mouth. I could not possibly have put this better.

Generally the most interesting thing about an election is watching the votes change over time. This undoubtedly deflates that excitement as you would just vote and maybe check back in a day to see who won. There would be no commenting in Eurochat, no day of election coverage, nothing to drive the excitement of the election to the finish. We would effectively be trading away one of the main drivers of interest to perhaps provide peace of mind to candidates. These type of strenuous run offs are fairly rare, they happen at most twice a year, having participated in the last one for FM. Being in a similar situation to Calvin previously, I’m not sold on this change haveing much beneficial effects on the candidates. I’d perhaps be even more panicky if I hadn’t the fondest ideas of the results. At least if your down and out for the count, or clearly out and out winning, early in the day you can take a breather now. With this change, you’d have no idea. That just adds to the uncertainty and the worrying of how many votes are out there ect. Adding that additional layer of fog would have the result, for me at least of still needing to reach out and talk to everyone anyway because you could be anywhere from 1 vote behind to 20 votes ahead and my mind always rushes to the worst case senario.

Generally the most interesting thing about an election is watching the votes change over time. This undoubtedly deflates that excitement as you would just vote and maybe check back in a day to see who won. There would be no commenting in Eurochat, no day of election coverage, nothing to drive the excitement of the election to the finish. We would effectively be trading away one of the main drivers of interest to perhaps provide peace of mind to candidates. These type of strenuous run offs are fairly rare, they happen at most twice a year, having participated in the last one for FM. Being in a similar situation to Calvin previously, I’m not sold on this change haveing much beneficial effects on the candidates. I’d perhaps be even more panicky if I hadn’t the fondest ideas of the results. At least if your down and out for the count, or clearly out and out winning, early in the day you can take a breather now. With this change, you’d have no idea. That just adds to the uncertainty and the worrying of how many votes are out there ect. Adding that additional layer of fog would have the result, for me at least of still needing to reach out and talk to everyone anyway because you could be anywhere from 1 vote behind to 20 votes ahead and my mind always rushes to the worst case senario.
While I understand why Calvin would write an article from that viewpoint, the benefit there isn't a great one. The real issue is the number of voters willing to vote just to even the score. It can come from a measure of compassion ("I think they're both okay, I'll vote for whoever has the least number of votes so nobody gets embarassed") or from a malicious sense of chaos ("Hell yeah, let's see what happens when you make it a tie!"), but either way, it's disruptive to the electoral process. We should be voting for the candidate, not the score. Hiding the results until the election is complete is a great step in that direction.

For those of you that love the horserace... just run some exit polling.

I also think there's a distinct difference in how GOTV will occur if there's no functionally viewable results on demand. A candidate and their campaign can keep trying to gin out voters on election day, but there's less pressure to hit a certain number. Yeah, you may still send some messages out when polls open but you're not going to look at the results every hour and try to find the votes to catch up or 2 hours before an election closes and you're scrambling to find the three voters necessary to put you over the top.

Darcness is also right that we could still have exit polls, which I think would actually add a fun and interesting level of gameplay elements because they could be very off or exactly on point, and the media could still speculate using that as well as anecdotally available information by talking to voters individually. From that aspect I don't really think it's going to have that much of an impact because these tracking things aren't really a staple of our elections, they're relatively new -- and people find ways to work with what they've got.

All this said -- I don't think there's any harm in trying it this way for a couple of elections before deciding if it's worth it or not. It may have a negligible impact on things, but I personally believe it will be better for the Region at large and for individual candidates as well as campaigns to have that 24 hour layer of knowing that they've done their job and it's entirely out of their hands now.

I agree that a closed ballot would be a sensible option in order to prevent electoral ties in the future (though this isn't perfectly preventable). To ensure that we don't have this issue commonly, we should have a closed/secret ballot. I know some people would disagree as having an open ballot allows for more excitement. I do feel that having it closed does not affect this excitement, but actually enhances it. Having it closed would create more excitement as people wouldn't know who's leading so you always have that on edge feeling. As for this ensuring greater accountability and electoral oversight. I'm not entirely sure, though I'd love to hear opinions on how having a closed ballot would affect fundamental government functions.

Holding votes in reserve does two things:

it allows a candidate to overcome any surge toward a tie at the end; and

it allows a candidate to make up ground at the end if needed.

I can see arguments both ways - but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a candidate’s vote reserve make the difference in the last few minutes of an election.

Holding votes in reserve does two things:

it allows a candidate to overcome any surge toward a tie at the end; and

it allows a candidate to make up ground at the end if needed.

I can see arguments both ways - but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a candidate’s vote reserve make the difference in the last few minutes of an election.
A good example of this is the FM election. Although Calvin's reserve didn't quite push him over the threshold, which resulted in a few days of senate debate and finally an election. I think a lot of citizens feel that this should have been avoided and while it's not entirely possible, I do think that in order to prevent election gridlock and ties etc that some reform be made. The obvious solution is to have closed ballot for certain elections and I think there should be serious debate and consideration into this. There are other ways round this, though I'm not sure what. The alternative is to leave it and run the risk of having constant election deadlock, and whole this is uncommon it's not very "appealing" and it takes time out of term when we should be getting things done.
I felt that during the FM election, there were a few things that needed doing but because everyone was so focused on an election that ran 2-3 days over, there was little cabinet activity.

I'm sorry but when did we as a region decide politics shouldn't be fun? Watching the ballot play-out is exciting, and this would be an essentially useless function because there are easy ways candidates can just circumvent a private poll to find out how many votes there are (at least I believe so; I haven't looked up how this would actually look if implemented). Strategic voting and candidates' stress won't go away.

There's a lot of things that we do in this region that may stress a player out, but I don't think we should be alleviating that stress at the expense of a more exciting political landscape.

So in other words, this is a hard no from me.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but when did we as a region decide politics shouldn't be fun? Watching the ballot play-out is exciting, and this would be an essentially useless function because there are easy ways candidates can just circumvent a private poll to find out how many votes there are (at least I believe so; I haven't looked up how this would actually look if implemented). Strategic voting and candidates' stress won't go away.

There's a lot of things that we do in this region that may stress a player out, but I don't think we should be catering to alleviating that stress at the expense of a more exciting political landscape.

So in other words, this is a hard no from me.
Politics should be fun and I do agree that watching the votes go up is fun and exciting. However, we have to find a way of reducing the number of deadlocks we have. Like I said the obvious option is to have a closed ballot, however I appreciate there are a few noes to this standpoint. Would you suggest any changes or just leave it as it is?

This isn't exactly a common thing we face, though. We've had three or four close elections - insanely close - that I can remember over the past 4 or 5 years.

I don't think it's necessarily true that politics isn't fun if we can't see the vote until the end lol

Back