17 Days: A Response To Euro Today 8/21

17 Days: A Response To Euro Today 8/21
Written by HEM
President of Europeia

Article is a reply to 08/21/16 EuroToday on EBC Radio

Just two weeks ago, I had a conversation with President Trinnien that would change the trajectory of the rest of the term. One of my newest, but closest, friends in Nationstates told me that he was going through significant stressors in real life and would need to step down from the Presidency. His goals, his hopes, his aspirations, and those of the region were going to be passed down from him to me.

Up to that point, I hadn't spent much time in the limelight. I very much saw myself a technocrat Vice President, working behind the scenes to establish a project that people have been skeptical and critical of since the start. I was working on an almost daily basis with the Cabinet: first trying to set an appropriate timetable for my ambitious project, and then hiring a deputy who would help me achieve our goals, and finally setting the Internship program's curriculum and goals.

While I tried to keep the public in the loop, it was difficult because our daily discussions were around tiny details and not big picture. We already had the big picture — we had to figure out how to make it work. Setting the foundation of any new endeavor is not a sexy process, but it is an incredibly long and ornery one. There were many times I felt tremendous sympathy for President Anumia and Minister Lethen who were constantly hounded during the establishment of the GAP about more progress updates — but there were no "updates" to give.

However, after trudging through a week without Wi-Fi, we finally began to see progress in the program. We had our first four interns, and they were doing tremendous work. Ministers were starting to get on-board with the program, and they were finding new and innovative ways to get interns involved in tasks within their department.

And then Trinnien resigned.

Suddenly, I was thrust from my project-based passion initiative before the entire region as President. I had to figure out how to reconfigure the Cabinet to ensure that Europeia could keep up the accomplishments we have seen under President Trinnien. I also hoped to make a mark of my own.

My first priority was to keep going while causing as little disruption as possible. I didn't want to overhaul the status quo or overthrow what was working. To that end, I immediately decided that I would elevate Common-Sense Politics from his advisory Chief of Staff role to Vice President. His foreign policy savvy would be invaluable to my administration, and I knew I could count on him to give free and frank advice.

I also knew that I needed Rand to step up into the role of full-time Civil Service manager. As President, I would not have time to help him out and represent the program in the Cabinet.

Then of course, we know what happens next. The Senate, in a surprise move, rejected my second official act as President and refused to approve the commission of Minister Rand. As the clock ticked, I knew that the Internship Program could not succeed without Rand's steady hand working seamlessly within the Tomlinson. I set off to convince Senators, one-by-one, to give this program and nominee a second chance.

I knew I was hemorrhaging political capitol in this fight, but I also knew that without a Cabinet-level supervisor, the Internship Program — and the new integration opportunity it represented — would be a failure. Many urged me to appoint Rand as Civil Service head as a deputy only, warning that a loss here would cripple my mandate for the rest of the already short term.

But for me, this wasn't a political fight — it was a fight for an innovative program that I believed in. It was a fight for our newcomers who were slipping through the cracks. Going into a second nomination process, I knew the odds were a crapshoot, with most Senators telling me that that they could not promise to vote one way or another.

And ultimately, I'd like to believe that that passion shone through the politics, and the Senators decided to give me a chance. Since then, Rand has been working tirelessly to build the Civil Service into an enduring program. He has reformed the internal reporting structures to ensure that no interns are lost in the shuffle, and has created data spreadsheets that will track every intern and their progress in their region, giving us hard numbers to back up our progress. Not a day has gone by where I regret fighting for him, and fighting for the program.

For me, every day in this job has been a learning process — every single day I have learned something new about being a good President. But the work I have seen from my Cabinet, our citizens, and even those who oppose my agenda has inspired me. While I go to bed tired, I am more encouraged about Europeia than I have ever been before.

For those of you who listened to the latest Euro Today podcast, you heard a different story. You heard a story about an administration that is beleaguered in inactivity, that arranges Q&A's solely to hide from accountability, that is engaging in petty politics, that has refused to innovate, and is *possibly* trying to mislead newcomers by congratulating an Interior Ministry for their hard work recruiting.

(Around 33:00 it is also erroneously stated that I supposedly had an interview in which I claimed to "refuse to compromise" with the Senate, which was wholly untrue).

I will say that this is not the Europeia I believe we live in. I do not believe that we should be more fixated on how many names a President lists in a speech than how many new citizens engage in a festival. I do not believe we should turn a blind eye to a brand new program, and then claim that there is no innovation. I do not believe that we should complain about little happening, and then question why there is "late term" stuff even happening.

And that's not to say that we don't have problems. In communications we need to be putting out more written content, and in culture we need to find more innovative ways to express our cultural energy. We need to completely overhaul how we see festivals, and we need to do it today. We need to find more ways to utilize the World Affairs hub, and we need to find ways to groom sailors into our next Grand Admirals (this position has been one of the most static position in history).

And that's not to say I haven't had shortcomings as a leader. I have. But despite what others may tell you, I promise I will spend every day left in this term working for you. And if you have more questions, please, visit my Press Conference

I don't believe we have a euro where a president attacks his critics, not even with legitimate debate or counters on their concerns but by saying they shouldn't be bringing up these concerns at all and painting the critics as doing something un-europeian for making critiques.

Notolecta said:
I don't believe we have a euro where a president attacks his critics, not even with legitimate debate or counters on their concerns but by saying they shouldn't be bringing up these concerns at all and painting the critics as doing something un-europeian for making critiques.
Noto, quite simply: You're full of it and you know it. You know you guys were hammering the administration, there was no counter debate in the program or voice presented to talk in opposition to your views, and you did it on the government sponsored radio show.

Trinnien said:
Notolecta said:
Noto, quite simply: You're full of it and you know it. You know you guys were hammering the administration, there was no counter debate in the program or voice presented to talk in opposition to your views, and you did it on the government sponsored radio show.
And I did Notty talk as the damn minister of communications and criticized the government. We weren't even that hard on the administration, we were stating our opinions on how the administration has been doing and on how everything so far looks, also don't make it out like we planned this to have no one that thinks highly of the administration. We just started talking and happened to agree with each other. If people aren't allowed to say things that the administration doesn't like or that don't paint the administration highly then I kinda have to wonder why I'm even allowed in the region. I mean the statement you made just there paints having a negative view of the administration as a horrible thing we shouldn't allow, or have to counter in order to have. But I don't see the same desire for balance when hem posts a non-speech that just pats the administration on the back like everything is amazing and nothing is bad.

Notolecta said:
Trinnien said:
Notolecta said:
And I did Notty talk as the damn minister of communications and criticized the government. We weren't even that hard on the administration, we were stating our opinions on how the administration has been doing and on how everything so far looks, also don't make it out like we planned this to have no one that thinks highly of the administration. We just started talking and happened to agree with each other. If people aren't aloud to say things that the administration doesn't like or that don't paint the administration highly then I kinda have to wonder why I'm even aloud in the region. I mean the statement you made just there paints having a negative view of the administration as a horrible thing we shouldn't allow, or have to counter in order to have. But I don't see the same desire for balance when hem posts a non-speech that just pats the administration on the back like everything is amazing and nothing is bad.
Oh you mean you used your own channel as is your right as a private citizen? And I'm all for debate and criticism, even on Euro Today - I definitely think it should happen. But there was no debate on that show, it was you and Calvin, with Carrot mostly quiet, airing your concerns. That's fine. But to take that it is wrong for HEM to get upset about it is also patently unfair and is quite simply, bull crap. He has decided to use the EBC to voice his counter dialogue. So be it. But let's not pretend that there was any debate or discussion between opposing viewpoints here. There was however a lovely echo chamber.

But hey, something good came from it. Since HEM wrote his response, maybe can we actually have the frakkin debate here.

As an added note - and we see this in poll comments frequently - but this bullshit view that "well I haven't seen anything, so obviously nothing is happening" needs to stop being permeated through Europeia.

Add to this that we have in my opinion reached a point of such unwieldy size and expectations that there are only a few people that can even arguably run for President. We expect that all Ministries are Exceptional. That all of them do even more than last term. That a festival needs at least 5000 posts to be considered successful. That if we don't have a new treaty on the table, obviously FA isn't doing their job, that we need 20 articles a term or otherwise Comms sucks. It is such an impractical viewpoint, I don't fucking know why anyone would even think about running for President.

Trinnien said:
Notolecta said:
Trinnien said:
Notolecta said:
And I did Notty talk as the damn minister of communications and criticized the government. We weren't even that hard on the administration, we were stating our opinions on how the administration has been doing and on how everything so far looks, also don't make it out like we planned this to have no one that thinks highly of the administration. We just started talking and happened to agree with each other. If people aren't aloud to say things that the administration doesn't like or that don't paint the administration highly then I kinda have to wonder why I'm even aloud in the region. I mean the statement you made just there paints having a negative view of the administration as a horrible thing we shouldn't allow, or have to counter in order to have. But I don't see the same desire for balance when hem posts a non-speech that just pats the administration on the back like everything is amazing and nothing is bad.
Oh you mean you used your own channel as is your right as a private citizen? And I'm all for debate and criticism, even on Euro Today - I definitely think it should happen. But there was no debate on that show, it was you and Calvin, with Carrot mostly quiet, airing your concerns. That's fine. But to take that it is wrong for HEM to get upset about it is also patently unfair and is quite simply, bull crap. He has decided to use the EBC to voice his counter dialogue. So be it. But let's not pretend that there was any debate or discussion between opposing viewpoints here. There was however a lovely echo chamber.

But hey, something good came from it. Since HEM wrote his response, maybe can we actually have the frakkin debate here.
UM notty talk was an official show ran on the official mixlr channel, not a private media show. But my problem with Hem's statement isn't that he's upset, but that he paints our criticisms as if it's not in alignment with Europeian values to even bring up these matters. I'm focusing in on the following:

I will say that this is not the Europeia I believe we live in. I do not believe that we should be more fixated on how many names a President lists in a speech than how many new citizens engage in a festival. I do not believe we should turn a blind eye to a brand new program, and then claim that there is no innovation. I do not believe that we should complain about little happening, and then question why there is "late term" stuff even happening.

That is the president essentially writing off our critisms as things that should have even been discussed or brought up. That is not an appropriate way for a president to respond to critics.

I never said it was a debate, I said we were critiquing him and he is essentially writing it off and pushing back against the idea of bringing up critiques

For those of you who listened to the latest Euro Today podcast, you heard a different story. You heard a story about an administration that is beleaguered in inactivity, that arranges Q&A's solely to hide from accountability, that is engaging in petty politics, that has refused to innovate, and is *possibly* trying to mislead newcomers by congratulating an Interior Ministry for their hard work recruiting.

(Around 33:00 it is also erroneously stated that I supposedly had an interview in which I claimed to "refuse to compromise" with the Senate, which was wholly untrue).

I will say that this is not the Europeia I believe we live in. [snip]

My argument is, here are some of the allegations made on the program that I do not believe reflect the Europeia we actually live in (in that they do not reflect reality). Criticism is fine, argument is fine — but here's my response.

We have a wonderful democratic system where you get to appear on a radio show for 90 minutes — the public radio — and bash my administration. That's great, that's f*cking wonderful and amazing, actually. But guess what, I get to respond. I get to point out that some criticisms were hypocritical, and at least one was an outright (and damaging) fabrication. I didn't go line-by-line because I don't have a whole day to do so, but broad-strokes, I feel the narrative presented in this radio show does not represent the current state of Europeia.

You can suggest to me that I'm somehow calling you un-Europeian, but I'm not. I'm calling you incorrect. The recent radio show presented one version of events, I presented another. The people of Europeia get to decide which are true.

No offense but is there even a definition for "un-Europeian"?

Trinnien said:
It is such an impractical viewpoint, I don't fucking know why anyone would even think about running for President.
I just want to point out that I dislike this sort of thinking. One should always try to have fun in their roles in NS and if it's not that fun to make it fun. It's sort of an obligation I think.

Opposition attacks Government, usually by saying nothing/nothing of value is happening, Government responds in their defence, Opposition asserts the Government is stomping on them/suggesting they don't belong in Europeia, Government points out that the long-held freedom of speech for all citizens has not changed, the Opposition refuses to either put up or shut up, and continues attacking.

This is an enduring theme, with an approximate cycle of seven to ten months.

Anumia said:
Opposition attacks Government, usually by saying nothing/nothing of value is happening, Government responds in their defence, Opposition asserts the Government is stomping on them/suggesting they don't belong in Europeia, Government points out that the long-held freedom of speech for all citizens has not changed, the Opposition refuses to either put up or shut up, and continues attacking.

This is an enduring theme, with an approximate cycle of seven to ten months.
As someone who once played Opposition and today wonders what the f*ck was wrong with him, I have to very sadly agree with Anumia.

Rach said:
Trinnien said:
It is such an impractical viewpoint, I don't fucking know why anyone would even think about running for President.
I just want to point out that I dislike this sort of thinking. One should always try to have fun in their roles in NS and if it's not that fun to make it fun. It's sort of an obligation I think.
This is one of the wisest things I've heard in a while tbh.

Rach said:
Trinnien said:
I have warmed to you recently. Either the world is ending or I have misjudged you.

This is an interesting turn of events.
I'll own we were a bit harsh in our criticisms, but our intent was not to bash, and here we are subjects of something we were talking about, Perception. We said a lot of stuff and I went back to listen, we discussed the perceived activity issues and the difficulty (even for us, as more experienced members) to easily find out what was happening in certain sectors. Yeah we didn't debate that much. We didn't downplay successes, our section on FA I felt was rather good and brought forward the exemplary work going on there. Overall I felt we left with a positive feeling toward an administration that had to change leadership halfway through.

Cpt.Carrot said:
This is an interesting turn of events.
I'll own we were a bit harsh in our criticisms, but our intent was not to bash, and here we are subjects of something we were talking about, Perception. We said a lot of stuff and I went back to listen, we discussed the perceived activity issues and the difficulty (even for us, as more experienced members) to easily find out what was happening in certain sectors. Yeah we didn't debate that much. We didn't downplay successes, our section on FA I felt was rather good and brought forward the exemplary work going on there. Overall I felt we left with a positive feeling toward an administration that had to change leadership halfway through.
I think something that needs to reiterated here is that nobody should even feel bad about bashing (if that's what happened). Opinions are opinions, and they have every right to be shouted from EBC Radio or wherever else. (There were a few comments I thought a little unfair, but that's politics, and I pointed them out in my column).

But I thought an alternative story would be valuable, and so here it is.

Trinnien said:
You know you guys were hammering the administration, there was no counter debate in the program or voice presented to talk in opposition to your views, and you did it on the government sponsored radio show.
Okay, I take issue with this.

Largely, everyone knows that a EuropeiaToday will happen once a week. Carrot's been recently trying to move them towards a more weekend-friendly timing for people. It's not like Carrot actively sought out people who were going to be critical of the Administration. Hell, even if people weren't paying attention they had at least 24 hours warning: here and here.

If the Administration really wanted to y'all could've easily put a surrogate on the panel as well. I think it's incredibly unfair to shit on Carrot or Noto or Calvin for this, when it's something where the ball was really in the Administration's court. What the hell is Carrot supposed to do? Hold an informal straw poll on every issue he intends on talking about to see where people stand, and then add in more individuals based on a lack of agreement on certain issues?

There have been times where I had been routed harshly on Mixlr, and I wasn't there. Was I annoyed? Absolutely. But, ultimately, that's my cock up for not making it there, myself.

Back