The Perfection Obsession

Oliver

[size0]The following is entirely the opinion of the author, and is not necessarily representative of the opinions of the staff of the ENN[/size]

To shamelessly steal the words Thomas Hobbes, the life of a Europeian President is “solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.” Going back as far as Anumia, so over a year, we can see a rather consistent pattern of Presidents being in control, being mobbed by the public, and finding it difficult to continue at the end of their terms.

Anumia held a single term, and while the term wasn’t, perhaps fantastic, he was vilified by the media, and is remembered as the President whose pride brought him low. After Anumia we had Common-Sense Politics, who finished his term quite well, but when asked to return the following term as Minister of Foreign Affairs, found himself unable to continue. After that was me, and to anybody who knew me at the time, my mantra towards the end of my term was “Never again,” as in, “never again am I sitting in that damned chair.”

After me was Earth, who is notable in that she’s the only President in the last year to serve consecutive terms. She gives so much, so very much even when she has very little to give, but for some reason she is not remembered as the hardest working President we’ve seen in a good long while, and one of the most damn successful ones too. After Earth came Skizzy for a short term, who has also retired from NS public life, though I think not burnt out in the same way as the rest of us (but perhaps he could let me know if I’m wrong). Then came Rachel, whose term I was not here for, but many people felt was an abject failure, and a vote of Non-Confidence ended it early. After Rachel came Sopo, who is being hailed as a rather massive failure as well, but I can’t quite figure out why.

It seems to me that if you want somebody out of public life in Europeia, the best way to get them to lose their interest and fall back is to elect them President. For me, the question now becomes whether we’ve simply elected a year’s worth of Presidents who couldn’t cope, or have we created a culture where the demands on the President are so high that nobody could cope for more than a term, or a term and a half?

In a way, I think we’ve confused happiness with contentment. We have this belief that the population should be steadily growing all the time, and things should be perfect all the time, and being in Europeia should feel like playing with a puppy (or a kitten, if you like) all the time. That’s happiness.

The thing is, that the human condition is not one of constant happiness. Our brains actually attempt to prevent us from feeling like that all the time, because if we felt like that all the time, we’d have no drive to improve ourselves. We’d just lie around feeling like we were playing with a puppy all the time and have no reason to do anything. The default human condition isn’t “excellent,” but it is instead “not bad.” We’ve confused things being “not excellent” with things being “horrible,” and they’re not really. Was this term an incredible brilliant success? Even Sopo would tell you its not. But is it really horrible? No. It’s just kind of meh. It’s not bad. This is going to be what most terms feel like. If we chew up and spit out every President who doesn’t make us feel like we’re playing with a puppy all the time, sooner or later nobody’s going to want to do the job.

This isn’t a crisis of criticism. Criticism is important, and keeping people accountable for their actions in a government simulation is important. This is a crisis of expectations, and I think we need to lower ours, just a little bit. I’ve been there, though, I’ve sat in that chair, and it was hard, and it was exhausting, and I didn’t even get to feel like I was playing with a puppy once. Maybe some other past Presidents can speak about their experiences, because there’s really nothing like it, and if you haven’t done the job, it’s hard to know how it feels.

Being President is deceiving. Everyone loves you until you actually become President, and then suddenly everyone is against you. It may not be true in reality, but it certainly feels like it. Being President is like suffocating in quicksand. Are you going to walk through the same quicksand again? Hell no. Some people are even smart enough to get rescued early.

No one knows what it's like until it's them. I know I gave Rachel a hard time during her term, but being President myself has given me perspective. It wasn't all her fault. In all likelihood, a lot of it wasn't her fault.

I'm rambling now, but in all honesty I could not agree more with this article.

To be President in Europeia is to be responsible for everything that even looks like it might be going wrong, regardless of whether or not you had anything to do with it, and regardless of whether or not it's actually a problem. Population fluctuations, ministers resigning due to their personal lives, its all your fault.

If you try to weather the storm, like Sopo, you're an uninspiring President who's failed to cut a bold new direction. If you do something bold like Rachel, and fire a minister in the midst of population issues that weren't anybody's fault, you're a cold-hearted bitch who doesn't have the temperament to be President. If Rachel had acted like Sopo, she'd be the one being called uninspiring and having her policy choices mocked as insufficient.

You just can't win.

Much of it is about perspective and one of the biggest issue's for me, during my term was my ability to project my vision and the very negative attitude*. I don't think it was as bad as it's been made out to be. It was more of a term of shifting gears and laying down the foundation for a better Europeia, it started off slow but had gained steam before things came to an end. With Interior, the telegram was finally re-done and that process of re-evaluation and improvement has continued. In Foreign Affairs, the EAAC (EAC) was established officially, the C3 planned and our broad policy published. The broad policy was meant to be the first step in a much bigger initiative.

In Culture, Boots got derided so much... yet he had a great measure of success, hosting events and also once again laying down a framework. Welfare was first about continuing the way I had done it, but then shifted to personalized telegrams. The CSO was also re-envisioned with rotations, increased meaning and awards.

*When I first came to Europeia, it was blamed on the media and the "Lexus" affect. That can no longer be said to be the case, at least with regards to Lexus.

What is the measure of success?

I have to say that this article is very, very interesting...I have to wonder though, is there a way for our culture to begin to appreciate Presidents more? Or are we just doomed to put them up on a pedestal and knock them for everything?

I have to say that this article is very, very interesting...I have to wonder though, is there a way for our culture to begin to appreciate Presidents more? Or are we just doomed to put them up on a pedestal and knock them for everything?
Part of it is intentionally recognizing terms for what they actually are, rather than the bashing that goes on for political gain. This term in particular (and I suspect somewhat the previous term as well, though I wasn't really here for that, so I can't speculate in the same way), there's this perception that everything has been a horrendous failure, when in reality we've just seen not so much in the way of growth. People seem oddly fond of kicking Sopo in the ribs with the hopes he'd expressed in his campaign, using "clever" comments about his "bold new direction" to beat him down.

I wouldn't say this term is anything to be incredibly proud of, but it's hardly anything to be ashamed of either. It is, as I said in the piece, "not bad." Before anybody gets snippy, I'd say exactly the same thing about the term I served. It was no great success, but it was no great failure either.

Part of it is intentionally recognizing terms for what they actually are, rather than the bashing that goes on for political gain. This term in particular (and I suspect somewhat the previous term as well, though I wasn't really here for that, so I can't speculate in the same way), there's this perception that everything has been a horrendous failure, when in reality we've just seen not so much in the way of growth. People seem oddly fond of kicking Sopo in the ribs with the hopes he'd expressed in his campaign, using "clever" comments about his "bold new direction" to beat him down.

I wouldn't say this term is anything to be incredibly proud of, but it's hardly anything to be ashamed of either. It is, as I said in the piece, "not bad." Before anybody gets snippy, I'd say exactly the same thing about the term I served. It was no great success, but it was no great failure either.
I'm not really capable of objectively judging how Sopo has been doing so far since I have been gone for most of his term, so I won't attempt to, but from what I can gather, I feel he's doing a good job. I don't think any President is horrendous, but the thing is, when so many expectations are placed on the President of anything, they're bound to do something someone doesn't like. I mean, Obama's hair is really greying from the stress of his job...

I mean, Obama's hair is really greying from the stress of his job...
Well, look at the differences in darker haired Presidents...

Obama 2009 - Obama 2011
Clinton 1993 - Clinton 2001
Bush, Sr 1989 - Bush, Sr 1993
Bush, Jr. 2001 - Bush Jr. 2009

It's a lot of stress.

If people honestly think it has nothing to do with Lexus, they are wrong.

The mentality of a great President is gaining at least one hundred nations, and boatloads of active citizens. (Lexus v3). A decent term is gaining at least some activity and a handful of nations. Anything less, regarding the circumstances, is obscene.

If people honestly think it has nothing to do with Lexus, they are wrong.

The mentality of a great President is gaining at least one hundred nations, and boatloads of active citizens. (Lexus v3). A decent term is gaining at least some activity and a handful of nations. Anything less, regarding the circumstances, is obscene.
Just a question HEM...who would fit this definition other than Lexus in your opinion?

Look, I've been one of Sopo's biggest critics this term, and it's not for political gain. I'm not planning on running for anything in the forseeable future. It's not because I don't like him, I have a good relationship with Sopo. It's that for a while we seem to have been on a downhill slope, and I'm trying to motivate this administration to do something different. We need something different.

It's like our dissatisfaction with Presidents. If we're content not to expect the best, we will never get the best. As soon as Sopo started getting some real accountability, he released his game plan, and I believe has taken serious steps toward those goals. That's a good thing. That's how accountability works, not through the Senate asking the Cabinet questions every week... But I digress. We have to stay vigilant and call Presidents out. Yes, it's a big office. Yes, it has a lot of expectations. Yes, it's hard. That's why you don't run if you're not ready for it, and you have a plan to know what you're doing. That's why it's our highest office.

And by the way, if these terms are so exhausting, why did we just extend the term by two weeks by a near-unanimous vote of the Senate?

I haven't signed it yet. ;)

Back