The EBC Sunday Times,

1st Edition, 1st Volume 1 June 2014

Letter From The Editor

This marks the first printing of the EBC Sunday Times. While my tenure as editor and minister of communications has been short, I hope that I will be able to continue to be active and make this publication into a weekly printing that will continue after my tenure has ended. The road to this first edition has been rocky, several writers that had said they would contribute backed out in the last second, or simply didn't contribute at all. Several others came through briliitantly, and I've gained some help from places I wasn't really expecting it.

As such, I apologize if this first edition isn't everything I had hoped, but I will continue to improve it with each new edition until it is finally at the level that I want it at. I hope that you find this entertaining, and informative, and I will now leave you to enjoy your paper in peace. I apologize again for the brevity of this first issue, and I hope that future editions will have more content.

Your Minister of Communications,
Yuri Razhtigr Somerset

Table of Contents
Section 1 News
Section 2 Politics
Section 3 Comics and Entertainment
Section 4 People

Section 1: News

Lazarus Supports Region Founded by AC​

Earlier today, Lazarus celebrated the founder of the Alteran Empire returning to boot out the imperials holding the region. Their national paper called it "A Victory for Progress" and proceeded to denounce Imperialism and raiding. They said that raiding was needed to distract individuals from the lack of work done by the governments in their region by oppressing others.

Bizarrely they did not discuss the history of that region, nor did they discuss it beyond using it to demonstrate why Imperialism and raiding are evil. Having heard of this region before, I decided to do some investigating and explored both old forums and pages as well as talked to some knowledgeable people in order to find out more about this region. It was a member of the famous Commonwealth. The Commonwealth.

The founder is Rix Alphanesian, a member of the Aezaen Combine. He is strongly suspected to have played a role in the destruction of the entire Commonwealth forums. At the very least, he was an important member of the group which carried out the attack. In coming back and banishing the raiders from his region, Lazarus calls this a victory for progress.

By Senior Writer Rach

Section 2: Politics

The Chair Speaks

The Citizens' Assembly is currently in the process of evaluating legislation which would modify the way the institution accepts new members and elects its Chair. This term has been marked with the appropriate amount of navel gazing and the occasional discussion on how CA members see the organization moving forward. I'll give an overview of each piece of legislation that's currently on the floor - if you're interested in any of these discussions or think you have an interesting idea for legislation, join us in the CA.

- The 'Election Clarification Amendment,' a reaction to the generally disliked Court decision stripping Mouse of her Chair over a technicality, would alter the way that elections work.

- The 'Fifth Amendment to the Citizens' Assembly Act,' authored by CA member Ogastein, would protect the Citizens' Assembly from being dissolved unless 2/3 of Senators vote to abolish it. There's also discussion of making the Citizens' Assembly Act a Constitutional Document.

- Not to be outdone on the Constitutional Amending front, our AG has brought the issue of treaty self-execution to the CA. Hyanygo suggests that the Constitution be amended to prevent treaties from self-executing.

- The 'Third Membership Amendment' seeks to clarify and improve legislation previously passed by the CA this term, allowing the Chair to give Associate Membership to any citizen or diplomat. There's also a discussion regarding eliminating associate membership altogether.

As you can see, there's a lot happening in the CA. It's been a fun term so far, and we're looking forward to Chair elections in the near future. If you aren't a member of the CA, or if you want to rejoin after the latest roll call. stop by!

By Writer PhDre

Modernsin Wins Senate Seat In Bizarre...race?

In what many are calling a bizarre election, recent returnee Modernsin has "won" the race for the recently vacated senate seat of now President Kraken. What started as a seemingly uncontested victory for Common-Sense Politics, was thrown into what seemed to possibly be a tight race against the veteran statesman Modernsin. While, Modernsin himself felt that his platform wasn't the strongest, he was apparently just as shocked as everyone else in Europeia when in the twelth hour CSP stood down as a candidate to accept appointment as Grand Admiral.

This happened mere hours before the standing period was due to be closed by the Office of the Supreme Chancellor. After the withdrawal of CSP, it seemed that no one had the chance or desire to contest MS's senate bid. With the standing period closed, Modernsin was announced the winner without holding and election by Supreme Chancellor, Skizzy Grey. This action, while seemingly within his rights and discretionary judgement, has sparked a flurry of debate across Europeia. Even going so far as for Senator Elias Greyjoy to propose a bill in the Senate to address the issue. While the bill would not retroactively apply to Modersin's place in the Senate, it would affect the possibility of future races by allowing voters to choose to vote for none of the candidates on the ballot, and forcing the elections process to begin anew.

By Yuri R. Somerset, Editor

Section 3: Comics

Section 4: People

President K, An Interview at the Goldenblock​

We're here today with recently elected President for Life (or until the end of the term) Kraketopia.

Cassy: "How long have you been apart of Europeia?"

Kratetopia: "I've been in Europeia since October 23, 2013. So around seven months."

Cassy: "What have you been doing for the past seven months?"

Kratetopia: "I've been getting to know everyone, making lots of friends, and trying to help out where possible. I've been Minister of Communications twice, a Senator twice, and Minister of Foreign Affairs. Currently I'm President."

Cassy: "That's an awful lot in seven months. How did you manage to juggle all of it with your outside of Europeia life?"

Kratetopia: "Simple, I don't have one. In all seriousness though, it has been a bit of a juggling act. I just make the time to ensure I get things done, and make the time to be with friends. It's a lot of time management."

Cassy: "I bet. How do you like being president?"

Kratetopia: "It's exhilarating! At least for the first few days. I feel like there's a lot to get done, and I've been busy at work setting up Cabinet and preparing for a great term. You do feel a lot more responsible for the region than when you're just a Minister, but there are a lot of great people to help out along the way. At the end of the day you're just a small part of the group of people who help run Euro, but the buck stops at the Presidency."

Cassy: "It sounds like it. I've been told that you are married, how long have you been married?"

Kratetopia: "I'm married on NS to the lovely Zenny, my First Lady. We were married at the start of April this year."

Cassy: "How does it feel to already have a controversy after only a few days in office involving your GA appointment?"

Kratetopia: "Honestly, while I understand some of the concerns brought forward against Seven Deaths, I think it was a lot of ado about nothing. He was certainly qualified for the job, I believed him when he attested to his activity and loyalty to Europeia, and he had already begun to work with me behind the scenes for rebuilding the Navy. Being the gentleman he is he withdrew his nomination because he didn't want the Navy to be surrounded in controversy. I plan to have a new GA nomination ready shortly."

Cassy: "Do you believe he was a good guy?"

Kratetopia: "Of course I think he was a good guy. I wouldn't have nominated him if I didn't feel that he was a great candidate and a great Europeian."

Cassy: "While you're president what are you planning on changing or adding to Europeia?"

Kratetopia: "Well, as my platform mentioned, I plan on opening the Office of Dispatches, creating a dossier/education system for Foreign Affairs, creating more in depth Festivals through Culture, and rebuilding the Navy."

Cassy: "When your term ends will you be running again? OR will you be running for something else? Or not at all?"

Kratetopia: "That's something I'm not really considering right now. I'll see how well I've done, and whether I have enough RLtime to dedicate to the Presidency. I treat the position as something that deserves the utmost respect and dedication, not a trophy."

Cassy: "Had you not been elected what would you being doing?"

Kratetopia: "I'd still be in the Senate and taking on side jobs. I may have gotten involved in the judiciary."

Cassy: "As what Chief Justice?"

Kratetopia: "Well, to be a justice the President has to appoint you, and then the justices all have to agree on a Chief Justice. So I'm not going to say I would have been Chief Justice, or even a Justice. But I would have gotten involved more thoroughly in the legal debates and training aspect of the judiciary."

Cassy: "Alright. What are you plans with the office of dispatches? Along side what is it, what do you want it to be?"

Kratetopia: "I want it to be a place that generates quality content and reviews a number of quality private submissions. I would like Europeia to be providing some of the finest caliber dispatches in NS."

Cassy: "What about on the creative side? Are you planning on doing anything for those who are creative artistically, musically, and written wise? How do you plan on expressing the arts to everyone? To try and get them involved or at least aware of the arts?"

Kratetopia: "Well the Ministry of Culture will be hosting more in depth festivities which will hopefully encourage those forms of involvement. MoC will also be overseeing the creation of a Europeian Gamers Guild, so perhaps literary and art guilds can be formed as well. The best way for Euro to be creative though is for those with artistic talents and interests to get involved."

Cassy: "Thank you so much for your time. Is there anything else you'd like to add?"

Kratetopia: "Just that it's been a pleasure serving Euro so far, and I look forward to seeing out the rest of my term."

Cassy: "Thank you for your time."

Back