Public versus Private Results in Voting -- July 2023 Poll -- before current Senate discussion

Prim

Security Council
Senator
Citizen
Discord Moderator
Pronouns
He/Him, They/them
Hello everyone --

We haven't had a good polling cycle about the public versus private results spectrum in a while. Sopo had an on-forum approval voting poll a little while back, but none of the answers were over 50% so it was a bit inconclusive. Hard to draw results from.

I have consulted with a third party on the objectivity of these polling questions and I hope this can give our Senate and Grand Hall discussion some good baseline before we dig into the opinions.

If the discussion is robust and things feel like they are moving forward, I will likely have another poll with the same questions at the end of the discussion and see if the region has shifted.
That sort of over-time analysis works best when everyone responds, especially those undecided and on the fence -- please take this poll... FOR SCIENCE!

Thanks everyone! :)

TAKE THE POLL HERE!

I was considering running a GRC Snap poll once I got back, but it appears you beat me to the punch. Great work as always. 😉

It is worth again noting that the compromise was all elections public with the exception of Runoff elections until two weeks ago when the Senate felt the need ,without any significant polling or hemming and hawing, to willy nilly expand hidden results to Referendum.

It is consequently conspicuously weird that that’s not an option in this poll.

Referendum votes weren't public or private, they were OSC discretion before, correct?

Referendum votes weren't public or private, they were OSC discretion before, correct?
That is technically correct but save the one instance Calvin administered it, every other referendum was conducted with visible results.

That is technically correct but save the one instance Calvin administered it, every other referendum was conducted with visible results.
OSC discretion was probably a nice glue that held the compromise together, imo. It was both things to both sides, public results for most, but could be private results when it wanted to be, so both sides felt represented.

When OSC discretion is gone, the flexibility went away and now one side or the other wants to continue pulling in each direction.

Bump -- 24 total responses so far -- would love to see 30-35 or more! :)
We've had 70 votes on recent elections, let's hit at least 50% of that!

This sort of over-time analysis works best when everyone responds, especially those undecided and on the fence -- please take this poll... FOR SCIENCE!

Thanks everyone! :)

TAKE THE POLL HERE!

This poll is now closed -- we have 37 responses! :)

Will be working on some analysis here shortly, hoping to have it out tomorrow.

Back