POLL: JayDee Down, Not Quite Out

EBC POLL: JayDee Down, Not Quite Out
Incumbent picked up steam in the second half of the term, but may struggle with re-election

Written by ICH and McEntire

Although JayDee’s approval has rebounded from the midterm, voters may be fatigued with his leadership. Although in this poll, JayDee is barely ahead of the “Re-Open Elections” option - his opponent at this current juncture - he only starts with 36% of the citizenry wanting to see him re-elected. He would be a decided underdog against any of the most sought after candidates in the Smokin’ Poll from earlier in this election cycle.

So while these are hardly stellar numbers for the incumbent, with no mobilized opposition in sight it may be enough for him to beat Re-Open Elections for the second election cycle in a row.

This poll ran from December 30 to January 1, and had 25 responses.

Part I: The Election

Where JayDee Starts: 36%

Forms response chart. Question title: Do you want JayDee to be re-elected?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

JayDee starts with an equal number - approximately a third each - in favor of and opposed to his candidacy for re-election. The balance are currently undecided, and where they fall over the course of the truncated campaign will determine whether or not JayDee becomes the first president since Writinglegend to get a third term.

JayDee vs. upc: the Race that Wasn’t

Forms response chart. Question title: Based on the most sought-after candidates in the Smokin' Poll, if the election were held today, who would you vote for?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

In a bit of bad luck for JayDee, the candidate who decided to run against him was the one who does best against him in this poll. In a direct head-to-head, JayDee takes only 24% against upc, whose 60% is approaching landslide territory. But in a good bit of luck for JayDee, upc decided not to run, citing illness.

There were positive signs for the incumbent though, as later respondents (after the poll was updated to reflect upc’s entry) showed a much tighter 38.9% to 33.3% race, with a greater portion of undecided voters. This could suggest that the tickets in total played some role in voters’ thinking and that JayDee has a pool of undecideds to woo.

Forms response chart. Question title: If the election were held today with the following candidates, who would you vote for?. Number of responses: 18 responses.

JayDee also lost in all of the other matchups with the top tier candidates from the Smokin’ Poll, although none of them have taken public steps towards running - not to mention one is his running mate, Vor.

Forms response chart. Question title: Based on the most sought-after candidates in the Smokin' Poll, if the election were held today, who would you vote for?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: Based on the most sought-after candidates in the Smokin' Poll, if the election were held today, who would you vote for?. Number of responses: 24 responses.

JayDee Edges Out Other and ROE

Untitled.png

JayDee barely edges both “Other” and “Re-Open Elections,” although both with less-than-majority support. With no other candidate yet announced, it may just be enough for him to win over some remaining holdouts and get over the top to win a rare third term.

Just get on with it

I'd like to see at least three tickets per presidential election. I know that's not gonna happen but three would be just enough to generate interest. A non-competitive election with just one ticket running is boring and frankly not good for the region. So at least there are two tickets now, but three would be better.

regions in good hands

Keep calm and win

It will be competitive and super duper fun

Part II: Executive Approval

How satisfied are you with the performance of the Executive?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Executive?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

The Executive’s favourability has increased significantly, with 24% more respondants approving of the Executive’s work compared to the mid-term where just 44% expressed their satisfaction with their work compared to 68% in this poll. This surge in favourability could be down to the robust performance displayed by the Executive during the holiday season as reflected in the comments where most of the commentators noting that the performance has been up-to-the-mark.

It's going better, but I think we need fresh leadership

They've been doing OK, but I want there to be more communication with the public. the executive should keep all citizens informed as much as possible
slowed a little at the end

There is room for more activity and engagement.

Everyone managed to do a great job despite the multiple turnovers

They have been doing the best they can and making everything they can visable

How satisfied are you with the performance of President JayDee?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of President JayDee?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

JayDee would be the one with the biggest smile after taking a look at the results as the citizenry’s approval of his work as President has increased by a whopping 48%, in a positive development for the President on the eve of the upcoming Presidential elections. All of the commentators have also expressed their satisfaction with the President in words, noting his heavy involvement in the Executive stuff despite the holiday season. However, a significant chunk (16%) remains dis-satisfied with the President, leaving the prospect of a late entry of another presidential ticket open.

JD has been a good president but I do feel it's time for him to step aside and make room for new blood and energy

very involved personally

JayDee is a trouper

Jaydee has been doing the most as we just got done with the holiday season of Christmas but overall he has done a good job this term

How satisfied are you with the performance of Vice President Rand?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Vice President Rand?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Vice-President Rand also has reasons to smile as he has also registered an increase, although not as large as JayDee’s, in approval of his performance by 24%. Commentators were largely in agreement about the lack of visibility of the work done by the Vice-President, which might explain the small gap between the satisfaction rate of JayDee and that of Rand.

I know it’s a largely invisible role, and I’m certain he’s involved, but updates would be appreciated.

Rand has been trying his best to help out the best he can while we slowly come back from the holiday season. But from a normal citizen perspective he has not been doing much that they can see

How satisfied are you with the performance of Grand Admiral Vor?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Grand Admiral Vor?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Approval of Vor’s performance as Grand Admiral has continued to reach unprecedented heights, as every respondent expressed their satisfaction with his work. The percentage of people ‘very satisfied’ with his work also increased by a whopping 28%, compared to the polling done at the mid-term. Commentators, in no surprise, are in a consensus over Vor’s continued stellar performance with some praising some of the ERN’s initiatives such as the Scrolls.

stellar

Getting junior command was a major achievement

The ERN has been a bit busy this term and with the scrolls adventure being a fun opportunity and something to keep you occupied.

How satisfied are you with the performance of the Gameside Minister Prov?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Gameside Minister Provian Bee?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Prov marginally improved on his predecessor Pichtonia’s approval rating by 8%, ending up with a 64% approval rating. The comment section is largely representative of the polling outcome, with the majority of the commentators expressing their delight with Prov’s work and praising his energy and efforts. However, with 36% of the respondents being either “neutral” or “dissatisfied” and one of the commentators noting down some areas where he could improve, such as consistency, Prov still has much left to do in order to impress that chunk of the citizenry.

He's been doing a ton. Super happy with his work!

He's been doing a great job. I see lots of effort that he puts into game side

Somewhat inconsistent, and doesn’t feel like there’s many opportunities/stuff to do for staff, or at least it’s not communicated well. Appreciate how roleplay is being run as well as the updates, though.

great energy!

I would be biased

How satisfied are you with the performance of Communications Minister McEntire?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Communications Minister McEntire?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

It hasn’t taken McEntire long to establish herself as a popular and successful Minister of Communications, with an impressive 88% net approval even though she had been nominated for this position half-way through the term. Commentators praised both the quality and the quantity of the articles published by the EBC under her leadership this term. She has also significantly improved on the previous Minister of Communications’ approval rating, with her approval rating double that of the previous Minister.

It's been kind of quiet from her but maybe she does lots of work behind the scenes that people don't know about

Some very high quality articles this term.

love her work

Didn’t have the job that long but for the time she did, she did well

McEntire got many articles out his half term or full term(I can’t remember) and has been very active and available for everything

How satisfied are you with the performance of the World Assembly Affairs Minister upc?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of World Assembly Affairs Minister upc?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Like McEntire, upc has also made significant gains on his predecessor’s approval rating, increasing the percentage of people approving of the WAA Minister’s performance by an astonishing 60%. The remaining 8% of the respondents who were ‘neutral’ in the poll might have thought it to be too early to assess UPC’s performance given his very recent assumption of office.

Follow through has been very good.

He was just recently confirmed so I'm not too sure about his performance yet

Puts the Ministry on his back.

yupsie is wonderful in any ministry

UPC has been trying his best to get IFV’s out and all the other cool things too but with a limited staffers, it’s difficult

How satisfied are you with the performance of the Foreign Affairs Minister Kazaman?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Foreign Affairs Minister Kazaman?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

While Kazaman did notch up a very respectable 68% approval rating, the fact that a not-insignificant chunk of the citizenry (12%) were dis-satisfied with the FA Minister could be a source of worry for Kaz. This dis-satisfaction could be attributed to the lack of communications with the citizenry regarding the stuff being done by the FA Ministry under his leadership, which is reflected in the comment section as all of the commentators mentioned it as a problem. However, he has more or less retained his solid polling numbers, with his approval rating dropping by just 4%.

Things have been quiet

He should try to communicate more with the public. I know he must do lots of work behind the scenes but transparency is important too

Kazaman had been very mia this term and haven’t seen much of him or send out the tasks much this term.

How satisfied are you with the performance of Culture Minister Ellenburg?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Culture Minister Ellenburg?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Ellen is going to breathe a sigh of relief upon seeing the poll results as he increased his satisfaction numbers by 8% while simultaneously reducing the percentage dissatisfied with his work vastly from 28% to 8%. This change in the citizenry’s heart could be precipitated by the successful hosting of multiple festivals such as the Honoured Citizens’ Festival and EuroChoice.

The minister of culture has done a lot. Honored citizen festiva, euro choice awards. Great job

Keeps things running, festivals are well done. JayDee feels equally as present in the “Minister” role fwiw
great festivals this term!

Ellenburg has been getting out culture stuff out like recently the euro choice awards and other fun events

How satisfied are you with the performance of Radio Minister John Laurens?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Radio Minister John Laurens?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

John Laurens won’t have much to cheer about the results as he ends up with just 32% of the citizenry approving of his work as the Radio Minister. This comparatively low satisfaction rate could be down to what most of the citizenry saw as lack of responsiveness and interaction. However, with just over 50% of the citizenry “neutral” regarding his performance, there exists a glimmer of hope that they might be willing to give JL another chance should he be re-nominated next term.

He seems responsive sometimes but sometimes he seems inactive. Not sure where he goes sometimes when he promised and in his confirmation hearing that he'd be more active

get well soon

Didn’t have the job long but for the time he did he did well

JL hasn’t been able to get many shows out this term so far in fact hasn’t even been able to get much interaction with his own staffers

How satisfied are you with the performance of Outreach Minister ICH?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Outreach ICH?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

ICH posted a strong 72% approval rating, up slightly from 68% at midterm. Commenters called ICH a “workhorse” and noted that he is “consistent” and “motivates his staffers.” The Outreach Ministry has seen an active term, and ICH has been a fixture in the Ministry for multiple terms.

Quite the workhorse

Fantastic job recruiting for Outreach (I only joined from a DM), and keeping things running. Very consistent, does the work when necessary, and runs a thriving ministry.

continues to do an excellent job

ICH has been pumping out stuff and ideas since the beginning of his term and that is really cool but he also motivates his staffers to get them to recruit and even welcome new nations!

How satisfied are you with the performance of Attorney General Calvin Coolidge?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Attorney General Calvin Coolidge?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Calvin’s approval rating has remained more or less the same compared to the midterms, as 68% of the citizenry approved of his work compared to 76% that did in the previous poll. Respondents noted that Calvin possesses the right qualities needed to succeed in this position and some were also pleased with the organization of the mock trials, which has seemingly played a key role in sustaining Calvin’s approval ratings.

Knowledgeable and suited for this position

it’s AG

the mock trials were a great idea and well-organised!

I have seen some of the AG’s stuff but not much of it so it is getting s neutral from me :p

Seems like almost anyone could run against JayDee and win...

Hmmm....

Maybe I should

Hmmm....

Maybe I should
That's not really my take away from this poll at all.

It turns out that pitching your teams wins (and turnover reducing in key Ministries) is actually helpful. I also think that Culture has been a consistent bright spot even though it's past time to reevaluate how we run festivals.

I shall take these comments as best as possible and become better :)

I shall take these comments as best as possible and become better :)
I also do wish that if Anyone has any tips on how I can improve that my DMS are always open on discord and the same goes for Private messagès on the forums as well!(Been not the best commutator I know but I’ll try to be better!)

Hmmm....

Maybe I should
That's not really my take away from this poll at all.

It turns out that pitching your teams wins (and turnover reducing in key Ministries) is actually helpful. I also think that Culture has been a consistent bright spot even though it's past time to reevaluate how we run festivals.

Nah im right

even though it's past time to reevaluate how we run festivals.
This is something I've been thinking about too, especially seeing some of the engagement we've been seeing. I was surprised by how much people enjoyed the Gala, but it was a bright spot of the HC Festival. I'm not exactly saying that we should repeat that at every festival, but I think it shows that we like to have fun and socialize in a more casual setting. Our regular spam games/competitions don't really provide a space for those casual social interactions on the forum.

It is interesting that JayDee is polling so well yet fares poorly in the head-to-head matchups. Given third terms are rare, perhaps the voting public sets a higher bar? Though I do think approval numbers have become somewhat inflated as our populace has become, well, nicer.

It is interesting that JayDee is polling so well yet fares poorly in the head-to-head matchups. Given third terms are rare, perhaps the voting public sets a higher bar? Though I do think approval numbers have become somewhat inflated as our populace has become, well, nicer.
Did you see my previous approval numbers :p

........................................................yes

I don't mean that people are always kind, but it used to be really rare to see approvals this high!

Well alrighty then :p

It means that JayDee is doing a great job, but people, as they are wont to do, are casting about for something 'new' for its own sake.

Back