Like/Dislike system

r3n is our resident code expert around here; I'm more concerned it if will increase loadtimes or anything of that nature.

There is relatively robust code to do this, but I am personally against the idea. If nothing else, it discourages debate and contributions to discussions, as people will tend to just click "like/dislike" instead of making a post. Even a simple "I agree" I think is stronger and more meaningful than just clicking a like/dislike option.

r3n is our resident code expert around here; I'm more concerned it if will increase loadtimes or anything of that nature.
Its essentially like loading to extra links so it won't increase you load time by more than a fraction of a second, from what I've seen.

There is relatively robust code to do this, but I am personally against the idea. If nothing else, it discourages debate and contributions to discussions, as people will tend to just click "like/dislike" instead of making a post. Even a simple "I agree" I think is stronger and more meaningful than just clicking a like/dislike option.
Sorry for the double post.

But I disagree with that. From my experience on other sites. Namely Politics.ie people tend to 'like' something and then post a comment to congratulate said poster.

It isn't as simple as that.

Due to the limitations of the API Invisionfree provides for editing the forum code, most of the more sophisticated operations involve searches for certain IDs over the html tags. This means that, each time you load a page, all of the tags used to created it (which are a large number) are examined to find out if they match the target ID. This search and match operation is significantly expensive, and can affect load times, especially for lower bandwidth users (for example, cell phones).

Sorry for the double post.

But I disagree with that. From my experience on other sites. Namely Politics.ie people tend to 'like' something and then post a comment to congratulate said poster.
My experience from other forums, for example the FRA forum, is different.

Let's say though, that it is as you say. In that case, what does the like/dislike system add?

Hy, you are incorrect. Legislation cannot compel admins to do anything. Good legislation should also avoid trying to force admins to do stuff, as such provisions are unenforceable.

Why use reason when you can compel admins via RP legislation?????
q: You could try. I'm going to guess the admins might just ignore you though.

I don't think this is really a necessary addition at all, and the extra work and effort it will entail, as well as making it a hassle for cell phone users, is not worth it. If you like something or dislike something, just post it. I agree with r3n here. Additionally, I really don't think a quick 'dislike' option would be at all conducive to gameplay.

And I spend too much time on Facebook as it is. I don't need a feature made popular by that site intruding into my NS life.

Why use reason when you can compel admins via RP legislation?????
q: You could try. I'm going to guess the admins might just ignore you though.

I don't think this is really a necessary addition at all, and the extra work and effort it will entail, as well as making it a hassle for cell phone users, is not worth it. If you like something or dislike something, just post it. I agree with r3n here. Additionally, I really don't think a quick 'dislike' option would be at all conducive to gameplay.
The culture ministry isn't necessary when you think about it. :p

So what if it isn't necessary, who decides what is and isn't necessary?

Extra work and effort of clicking a button or the few minutes or so of putting the code in place?

Also it is possible to remove the dislike option by changing the code a little.(It's explained more in depth in the link provided.

To the argument that raises concerns over the post count...

A higher post count is obtained by giving people reasons to post, not by limiting the tech development of the forum.

If the posts that are lost are those that say "hurrah", "indeed", and mindless shit alike, then I'll be glad to see those gone.

A nice improvement would be the decrease of the spam warning in the spam section, enabling the usage of imacros to post. :p That would BOOM the post count xD

To the argument that raises concerns over the post count...

A higher post count is obtained by giving people reasons to post, not by limiting the tech development of the forum.

If the posts that are lost are those that say "hurrah", "indeed", and mindless shit alike, then I'll be glad to see those gone.

A nice improvement would be the decrease of the spam warning in the spam section, enabling the usage of imacros to post. :p That would BOOM the post count xD
Indeed. :p

Back