EuroVoice: The Oldbies Play Alone

The Oldbies Play Alone

The days of the newbies v. the Old Guard are long past, but not because Europeia doesn't love a good conflict- because all the newbies have become oldbies. For all the pomp and circumstance surrounding the dramatic rise in Europeia's population and subsequent decline, very few prominent members have emerged from the period of great "growth." While members are still joining the region and joining the forums, the retention rate has been way down in recent months.

To some, it seems like Europeia is becoming "stale." This is not because the actual region is losing its appeal, but because new faces are becoming less and less common on the forums. Most members who apply for citizenship disappear quite quickly, with few notable exceptions. The root of this problem is difficult to determine. We are currently facing the summer slump, but this is an ongoing trend, not one that has just appeared in the weeks of summer, not to mention that our current membership has upped posting since summer began.

So, instead of focusing on where the problem originated, let's take a look at how to fix it. The newcomers' handbooks are now severely outdated and in need of update. I would suggest shooting Welfare Minister Ogastein a PM if you'd like to help with that job. Greeting the new members who do arrive on the forums is always a plus as well- you're more likely to stay if you start making friends. Organic relationships seem to work out better than the Mentor System, so don't just wait around for that to get another face-lift. If you are a new member reading this, wondering what there is to do around here, I suggest becoming a Junior Minister, joining the City Council, or chatting it up in the Republic Square. None of those for you? Shoot me a PM, I'll give you even more ideas!

Well, we had a decent telegram, plenty of welcomers, a developing Mentor System, and that employment office. I also tried to do a "welcoming wagon" to get people to feel responsible for welcoming new members once they got to the forum, but it didn't have much impact.

It's really just a process of throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

I still want to try a welcoming festival..

I still want to try a welcoming festival..
which was announced and is in the process of being planned :p

Ultimatley, this is a problem that is very complex and essentially, we need to continue to try new things until something works. The Welfare Ministry is currently devloping a way to get new comers involved as soon as they join and apply for citizenship.

Whatever happened to the CSO?

I think that it's a seriously scary thought that there are few people who joined after me that are still active. There's a couple, but that's certainly scary given our population has broken record after record in that time.

If you want some stark reality, look at our citizenship updates. They've been on a steady decline since they reached their peak at about 100 or so members.

If you want some stark reality, look at our citizenship updates. They've been on a steady decline since they reached their peak at about 100 or so members.
Our steady decline is 85 citizens to 84 citizens? :p

Our steady decline is 85 citizens to 84 citizens? :p
From May to June we lost 20 nations from our citizen list, no? 20% of our population dissipated.
Yes, but we've already realized that was a painful time in our history. I just dispute that things are continually getting worse.

Yes, but we've already realized that was a painful time in our history. I just dispute that things are continually getting worse.

Looking at the past year or so:

July 2010 -- 75
August 2010 -- 74
September 2010 -- 84
October 2010 -- 84
November 2010 -- 92
December 2010 -- 91
January 2011 -- 93
February 2011 -- 89
March 2011 -- 83
April 2011 -- 106
May 2011 -- 102
June 2011 -- 85
July 2011 -- 84

With the exception of a little "bubble" in April-May of this year, this has been a remarkably stable metric. It's also something of a trailing indicator -- we were definitely off our peak by May -- so perhaps we shouldn't take too much solace in our recent stabilization.

From May to June we lost 20 nations from our citizen list, no? 20% of our population dissipated.

That's the period when Rachel was doing a kick-ass job in Welfare.

I totally think you can get us back there, but I don't think that alone will solve the problem Sopo identified in the thread-starter.

Back