Controversy at the World Fair Overshadows Planned Celebrations

Controversy at the World Fair Overshadows Planned Celebrations
By Writinglegend

(Europeia – December 19, 2017) – The World Fair has devolved into chaos as the World Fair Committee banned the player known as Imki for "security reasons".

"Multiple members of the committee received concerns regarding a player present," the committee stated, explaining how they received information on several cases being investigated. "We as a committee should have clarified with them that they were fully closed and ready to be shared with other admin teams before acting on this information."

The North Pacific (TNP) Administration Team was mentioned as a point-of-contact regarding governmental inquiries into the individual and investigation.

The ban was put into place with no public statement and little information on the action. The World Fair Committee remained relatively tight-lipped about the subject matter despite the resulting chaos. The lack of transparency regarding the ban resulted in Osiris, The West Pacific, The East Pacific, and Gay pulling themselves from the World Fair and vowing to boycott it.

"Since the opening day, the moderators have shown themselves to be incompetent in their ability to control harassment and other poor behavior by a number of the attendees," Davelands, Delegate of The West Pacific, said in a public address. "We have pulled our booth from the event and request that the nations of The West Pacific boycott the rest of the Fair."

The West Pacific is a treatied ally to Europeia, who is hosting the World Fair.

President Rach showed herself to be relatively annoyed with the situation. "The allegations against this member need to be explained in an open setting so that all regions have the power to react accordingly," she noted, calling for a more transparent statement from the World Fair Committee. "We are giving the committee 24 hours to provide more information on the banning." She would later explain that if this deadline was not met, Europeia will be forced to withdraw from the World Fair's proceedings.

The overwhelming nature of the event caused several members on the World Fair Committee to step down from their position. Todd McCloud, the man who takes lead on the World Fair, vowed to take a multi-day break. Sanctaria resigned from the World Fair Committee after the debacle became too much.

Minister of Culture Drexlore and Europeia as a whole worked hard to generate one of the most exciting and progressive World Fair's in the history of the event. Unfortunately, due to the ban of Imki, a damper mood now drapes the celebration with a rather noticeable decrease in activity and excitement. While the celebration is continuing, it has a noticeably different tone than three days ago.

The Europeian Broadcasting Corporation will continue to supply the public with coverage from the World Fair in the coming days. It is expected that the committee will release another statement in due time when the dust has settled, and more information regarding the ban will be readily available.

Well this was rank incompetence from the committee. And wasn't the Europeian theme "safety in NS"??!!! The committee literally had a whole fucking conference designed on how to respond to -this- situation.

Given that the organisers had a whole presentation on this very theme either they are malicious or stupid. Incredibly stupid.

A good call on Rach's part. This drama is beyond unnecessary.

hyanygo said:
Well this was rank incompetence from the committee. And wasn't the Europeian theme "safety in NS"??!!! The committee literally had a whole fucking conference designed on how to respond to -this- situation.

Given that the organisers had a whole presentation on this very theme either they are malicious or stupid. Incredibly stupid.
The issue is that the folks giving the presentations aren’t the same folks moderating the NSWF forum. If we had created our own dedicated forum, moderated by our admin team, this situation would doubtless have been handled in a more professional manner. (To be clear, I understand this wasn’t an option.)

hyanygo said:

Oh, go to hell. You don’t know the half of it, and I’m tired of your constant demeaning of every fucking person that cannot dare match the sheer brilliance of hyanygo.

Yes, we made a mistake. Euro should pull out of the Fair. We will lie in the graves we dug for ourselves. But you don’t have to be a huge dick all the time, hy.

I have tried to do right by our community and the wider NS community through my work for this fair. We made a decision that seemed prudent at the time based on the information we had. Now we’re hung out to dry because the TNP admin team can’t yet provide the evidence.

Honestly, we deserve most of what we get. I just can’t deal with hy anymore.

This I when you know you are lucky we have our current admins, who break their backs to provide rationales and lectures on how they do their job, only for the message to be ruined. I certainly hope we will hear from the World Fair Committee before the 24 hours elapse. It would be a shame for this World Fair to lose its driving members :( .

I feel that Europeia's efforts are to be applauded. There was terrific programming and a ton of hard work went into creating a quality event.

It is a shame that a small influential contigent used this platform, designed to be a celebration of our community; into what appears to be either gross negligence in sloppy admin work or at worst a furthering of a personal grudge. I would hope that when the TNP investigation reports it's findings that if it is abuse of power that the individuals involved will be disciplined commiserate with the hard feelings they have caused.

Back