A Taste of Skizz #5

Many people (including some here) keep old books on shelves like trophies, implicitly boasting the knowledge they gleaned from those dusty tomes. I don’t have space for that; unless I’m likely to read a book again, I give it to a friend, sell it to a used bookstore, or donate it to a library book sale. Since joining Kindle nation, I don’t even do that—my intellectual trophy case exists only in cyberspace.

I’m apparently considered an intellectual(!!) in some circles, so I thought I’d offer a reading list. I purposely limited myself to fifteen books. I didn’t include any so-called “classics”; readers have heard of those books and either read them or chosen not to. The idea was to come up with a list of books some of my fellow Europeians might enjoy.

You’ll notice several Christian-themed books on the list. Of these, the only one I recommend to non-Christians is Bonhoeffer’s The Cost of Discipleship.

Happy reading. (Note: the books are listed alphabetically by author's last name.)

Everyday Zen, by Charlotte Joko Beck. The best of many books I have read on Zen meditation. Beck’s perspective on Buddhism in this book is thoroughly secular—you can appreciate her insights whether you are Christian, Jewish, Wiccan, atheist, agnostic or whatever. When you’re done with this relatively short book, you’ll know the basics of how to meditate.

The Cost of Discipleship, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Writing in Germany in 1937, Bonhoeffer exhorted his fellow Christians to embrace the way of Jesus, which is the way of the Cross. Recommended to Christians as devotional reading, and to non-Christians as a 250-page synopsis of what it means to be a real Christian. (Bonhoeffer was later imprisoned and ultimately perished in a Nazi concentration camp.)

Ball Four, by Jim Bouton. The best book ever written about baseball. Bouton was the Yankees’ #2 starter (behind Whitey Ford) in the early 1960’s; by the spring of 1969, he was fighting for a roster spot with the expansion Seattle Pilots. The book is Bouton’s diary of the 1969 season, interspersing accounts of his teammates’ hilarious antics, anecdotes about the Yankee legends he had played with a few years earlier, and observations on the cultural upheaval going on around him. If you get a copy with “Ball Five”—an epilogue written ten years later—read that too.

The Art of Happiness, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Co-written with a psychiatrist, this book explores the question of happiness—which the Dalai Lama considers the objective of life—from a scientific and spiritual perspective. It’s worth reading regardless of your religious bent.

A Fan’s Notes, by Frederick Exley. The last novel I finished. I would describe the protagonist as a 35-year old, alcoholic Holden Caulfield, but that doesn’t do it justice. It deserves to be a modern classic, but it’s too raw for high-school audiences and not artsy enough for English professors. There are a couple disturbing scenes involving date rape; some readers might wish to avoid it on that basis.

Gandhi: An Autobiography, by Mahatma Gandhi. Written in the late 1920’s before his most famous accomplishments, this is a book for people more interested in Gandhi’s thought than his life’s work.

Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell. Gladwell’s examination of intuitive thought makes cutting-edge psychological and neurological research accessible to lay audiences. If I can understand it, you can.

The Quiet American, by Graham Greene. A novel set in 1950’s Vietnam, it dramatically illustrates the axiom that “the road to hell is paved with good intentions.” It also foreshadows America’s ultimate failure in Vietnam. From what I’ve heard, the recent movie bears scarcely any resemblance to the book.

The Prophets, by Abraham Joshua Heschel. If you’ve seen pictures of MLK’s famous march on Selma, Heschel is the Orthodox rabbi walking alongside Dr. King. Known best during his life for his civil rights and anti-war activism, Heschel is better remembered now for his scholarship, and perhaps more so among Christian scholars than Jews. If you’ve read a lot of theology, many of Heschel’s points that were groundbreaking half a century ago are conventional wisdom today—so you might find yourself skipping some of his lengthier proofs.

New Seeds of Contemplation, by Thomas Merton. Merton was a playboy turned monk turned peace activist. Written a few years before his death, in Seeds Merton merges traditional Christianity with non-dualist Eastern thinking in a series of thought-provoking devotional essays. His style is not always smooth, but his diction is impeccable.

The Soul of Baseball, by Joe Posnanski. The best book written about baseball in the forty years since Ball Four. Posnanski travels the country with Negro Leagues legend Buck O’Neil during what would prove to be the final year of O’Neil’s life.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, by Hunter Thompson. The movie was just two guys tripping balls in Vegas; the book is so much more, capturing Thompson’s brilliant sense of humor and a scathing criticism of the American dream. If you live in the eastern U.S., you can finish it on a flight to Vegas.

Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail ‘72, by Hunter Thompson. I read this in early 2004, when Howard Dean appeared to be following in George McGovern’s footsteps. Thompson’s brilliant writing brings an otherwise dull election to life vividly.

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, by Tom Wolfe. Between my personal interest in the subject and a college class devoted entirely to 1960’s U.S. history, I’ve read a lot of books on the 1960’s counterculture. Wolfe’s account of Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters is by far the best of the bunch.

A People’s History of the United States, by Howard Zinn. The history of the U.S. told from a Marxist perspective. The selection of material reflects Zinn’s biases—hundreds of pages on the pre-modern labor movement; nothing on religion—but that’s true of most histories. The truth resides somewhere in the dialectic tension between the traditional narrative of American history and Zinn’s alternate narrative.

A brief Science Fiction list. This is, in my opinion, the best Science Fiction has to offer. I know Sci-Fi better than any other genre; when I was ten or so, my mother had an entire bookshelf dedicated to her favourite science fiction books. Not all of them. Just her favourites.

Ender's Game; and Speaker for the Dead (Orson Scott Card)

For a long while, these two were my favourite books of all time. Say what you like about Card's politics, he writes intelligent children very well. When I was twelve, I read Ender's Game, and I thought "An Adult who doesn't think children are idiots!" In the first one, Ender's Game, a six year old child is taken from his parents care to attend Battle School, where genius children are taught from that young age to be tacticians, leaders and warriors against an alien menace who'd already attempted to invade twice. Speaker for the Dead is about the now-adult best of those children, who, using the relativistic effects of space travel, has skipped thousands of years into the future, where he has an unassuming life as a sort of priest of a sort of a religion, and helps investigate why the second alien species humanity has ever encountered keeps murdering and eviscerating the people who help them.

The Seafort Saga (David Feintuch)

Beginning with the novel Midshipman's Hope and lasting seven novels, the Seafort Saga follows United Nations Naval Serviceman Nicholas Seafort as he put through intense trials to his very strongly developed sense of duty and honour, in a very conservative, near-totalitarian future. This vision of the Navy put forward in these novels has greatly affected and guided my vision for the Europeian Navy. I think I can safely say that this is probably my favourite series out there.

The Gap Cycle (Stephen R. Donaldson)

Some of you may recognize this name as having been the author of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, a rather famous fantasy series, known for being a little darker and grittier. Donaldson takes his approach to a Science Fiction series and ramps it up to 11. In a totalitarian future where the Cops are arguably worse than the Pirates, and the only alien intelligence is a hundred times worse than either of them, where can you turn? His particular style of jumping from viewpoint to viewpoint gives a very clear indication of things that only a few character might appreciate. The first novel is The Real Story, and has some graphic depictions of horrible, horrible things, so if you're not up for that, don't check it out, but if you can handle it, this series is excellent.

There are others as well, if you want an expanded reading list, feel free to bug me. I love science fiction, I can point in the direction of some excellent short fiction as well.

Thanks Ollie. I hoped my list would spur other contributions, and I hope yours isn't the last.

No idea how I forgot The Executioner's Song, by Norman Mailer. It's the story of Gary Gilmore-- a career criminal who killed two people in Utah in the 1970's and became the first man executed after the Supreme Court re-instated the death penalty. That description, however, doesn't do Mailer's writing justice; he captures nearly every point of view on the tragedy, frequently shifting the perspective of the narrative, but without ever confusing the reader. Mailer was one of the best writers of his generation, and this was his masterpiece.

This is a list of some books I have just read for my history classes. I won't bore you by putting historical studies on this list so bear with me.

Journey into the Whirlwind Eugenia Semyonovna Ginzburg

A personal memoir about a woman's experience during Stalin's Great Purges. Ginzburg, like so many millions, were on the receiving end of a state terror that had little rhyme or reason. At times it made me weep, and I am not one prone to tears.

Behind the Urals John Scott

Another personal memoir about an American college student who goes to the Soviet Union to build a blast furnace and an entire city. Great look at Soviet society during the mid to late 1930s from a sympathetic outsider's view. A little boring when he talks about industrial production but highly recommended.

The Sorrow of War Bao Ninh

A novel written by a North Vietnamese soldier, and so while it is fictional the characters are based largely on Ninh's experiences. It is a powerful book that puts a human face on Vietnam that is more people know as a war rather than as a beautiful land, unfortunately. Many will find it confusing, Ninh follows no chronological order one scene will be getting on a train in 1965 and the next the storming of the Saigon airport in ten years later, however if you can get past this it is an excellent book.

Finally, from these books guess which classes I am taking. ^_^

I jump around with my reading that I couldn't even give you a brief list (since I'd need to think of a category first!).

I have always wanted to read more Gladwell, though.

The Gap Cycle (Stephen R. Donaldson)

Some of you may recognize this name as having been the author of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, a rather famous fantasy series, known for being a little darker and grittier. Donaldson takes his approach to a Science Fiction series and ramps it up to 11. In a totalitarian future where the Cops are arguably worse than the Pirates, and the only alien intelligence is a hundred times worse than either of them, where can you turn? His particular style of jumping from viewpoint to viewpoint gives a very clear indication of things that only a few character might appreciate. The first novel is The Real Story, and has some graphic depictions of horrible, horrible things, so if you're not up for that, don't check it out, but if you can handle it, this series is excellent.
I'll def like to check that out as I loved The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

Back