A Taste of Skizz #15

The discussion here reminded me that I never said anything publicly about our involvement in The South Pacific (TSP) during my presidency. At the time, I kept quiet because I felt the details might harm our diplomatic relations. If that was ever true, I'm convinced it no longer is. Therefore, I'm going to tell the story.

This is not a definitive history, but an account of events from my perspective. Others are invited to correct or supplement my account. I only care about the TSP affair insofar as it affected Europeia, so don't expect a fulsome account of the affair and its NS-wide implications.

Here goes:

Well-known defender Sedge, from The Rejected Realms (TRR), led an effort to overthrow the delegate in TSP. He was joined by Unknown, TNI and LKE. It was a massive operation, so I presume he had other allies too. The Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA), under the leadership of Unibot (who was FRA Arch-Chancellor at the time), came to the aid of the incumbent government of TSP.

I wasn't part of the initial deliberations, but I can see how the decision might have been difficult. On one hand, we would normally side with our raider allies, and against the FRA. On the other, we enjoyed friendly relations with TSP (more so than with the other feeders), and HEM was involved in the government of TSP at the time. For whatever reason, we sided with the native government of TSP.

While the TSP affair was ongoing, Earth resigned. HEM, Ollie and Griff resigned their posts here more or less contemporaneously with Earth. (Griff had been GA.) Plenty has been written on these forums about those events.

As Vice President, I assumed the presidency upon Earth's resignation. Even before my GA was confirmed, one of the admirals (not sure which one) asked privately if I wanted to continue to support TSP against the raiders, who by this point had assumed the delegacy. Motivated by a desire to repair relations with HEM, I said we should continue. After that, I mostly ignored the issue. A few days later, the raid fell apart and TSP's native delegate was restored.

Somewhere in there, I was advised by someone (not sure who) that our involvement in TSP might have violated our treaty obligations. Therefore, I took pains not to disclose our involvement. Later, I reviewed the treaties myself and concluded I had been advised wrongly, but even so, I decided the matter was sensitive enough that I shouldn't discuss it publicly. I did respond privately to a couple citizens who asked questions about our involvement.

I could say more about the fallout across the NS world from the TSP affair, but I'll leave that to someone who follows those things closely. Europeia's involvement in TSP was very minor; ironically, my (possibly misguided) efforts to keep our involvement quiet may have caused some people to believe we were more involved than we were. From Europeia's standpoint, TSP was little more than a garden-variety reinforcement operation. I'm surprised it's still a topic of interest -- and after this boring account, perhaps it won't be anymore.

yeah, continue playing your little games of conquest and deceit. You know nothing of what you're talking about except what you've been spoon-fed and you continue to make assumptions which continue to drive a divide between Europeian citizens. Rather than face the obvious that The Library poses no threat to Europeia, you continue to insist that there is reason for concern. Go and check it out for yourself; you'll find that they they'll let you and have nothing to hide except what your paranoia believes them to hide. You can believe that they acted against the interests of Europeia, but the truth is that Europeia acted against its own interests when it decided to make such a big deal out of dual citizenship. How can you expect people to have direct loyalty to Europeia when they have dual citizenship? How can you expect anyone to remain loyal when you demand that they focus solely on a dying region; past its prime and desperately seeking ways to continue its existence? How can you expect people to stick around when there is so much bickering and negativity and no real problem solving? People are leaving and you're ignoring the problem choosing instead to blame the people leaving instead of the actual source.

This region could have been great and it was on the right path until recently and I don't know what happened but it disgusts me. I can take most of the abuse that's been piled on me since I came here; I keep coming back, anyway, but to sit here and continue this BS even after being called out on it and everything else is ridiculous. Keep refraining that one belief over and over again and it might come true; you might keep members rolling in for a while and you might be able to hide the ugly side of Europeia from them for a bit, but in the end you will come to regret shedding off what kept you from the brink of disaster.
Really? I think it's good that all this is done now. This whole thing just didn't come from nowhere, this has been simmering a good while. I'd rather people vented now rather than people putting the axe aside to grind another day. The way forward is not to protect people from criticism and call it bullying. This is a politics game. Politics is not always happy fun times and it's about time some people realise this.

I'm a flawed person. People here have been kind enough to forgive me for my past mistakes, and so I try to return the favor, at least where it doesn't require me to grab my ankles, proverbially speaking. If others see that as folly or weakness, that's fine.

Ideally, we would all get along all the time, but we don't live in an ideal world. Practically, I wish we could handle our disagreements with more civility, but it's become obvious that some people are not just unwilling to change their behavior, but lack the basic self-awareness to understand they're part of the problem. Over time, this has cost us the talents of some top-notch people, and it will cost us more in the future. Someday, the region may decide that's an unacceptable cost, but we're not anywhere near that point today.

I'm not surprised by where this thread has gone. The tensions that were laid bare here have been popping out here and there all over the forum, to the detriment of the region. Now that everything is in the open, perhaps we can move forward.

This is what I'm not understanding about you right now, Henry. It's like you're -completely- ignoring anything bad said on one side, even when it's being said against principles you're promoting, then attacking those who also support those principles, because they're suspicious/angry at the ones trying to argue against the side you're ignoring.
Well, he did say all humans are hypocrites. At least he's not being a hypocrite in that regard.

For this type of thing to stop happening; for it to stop getting to this point where people vent; people need to communicate more. This whole scenario could have been avoided by people simply talking to other people and people involved to get a clearer idea of what was going on. Instead, people chose to act and react in the manners that they have and by many I get painted to be the bad guy for the way I react, at a point in time when communication is irrelevant outside of these threads. I get pounced on for saying things I think I should when for a whole week a bunch of people said things they shouldn't have said in regards to a situation that they failed to understand.

I'm a flawed person; I'll be the first to admit it. Am I always right? no. Many times over I am wrong and wrong again, but not nearly as often and not nearly as hugely wrong as people would believe. Little things here and there.

As for this, -gestures to everything-, the tensions that were laid bare in this thread have made matters worse. You now see the ugliness in peoples hearts a bit better here, don't you? Do you want to believe it's the same everywhere? It's not. There are communities where the ugliness seen in the past week does not exist and it makes me happier to be a part of those communities even though I'm drawn back continually to fight it here. Obviously, I've been losing the fight. I seem to be out-numbered and out-voiced, as usual. It's easy to be right when you have back-up. Not so much easy to be right when you stand by yourself or mostly by yourself. Not that it's about being right; it's about getting people to actually listen to what I say instead of blowing me off. To open their minds a little bit and see if what I'm saying is true.

I sound insane, don't I? Yet there are quite a few people who could vouch for my sanity. I'm right more times than people here care to admit due to the ego I came here with. So I attacked some people with the same ferocity they attacked others with. Maybe it will make them listen when I say things could have went better had they actually communicated as human beings instead of letting things fester and build up the way they did.

I can't deal with this...

Henry, stop looking at the ugliness, you're the one ginning it up. Do you not see all the good that's happening this term? JGlenn and Switz, two very new members, are doing excellently running their own Ministry. Our Senate is productive despite the oddities that compose it. Our population is up. Everyone cares about the betterment of the region, and you and a few others are trying to make issues out of little things. We've had disagreements, and sometimes we may not handle them right, but we come back every day. Why? Because we care.

There's no Europeian underworld of evil, we're legitimately just a region trying our hardest to do our best. I'd appreciate it if you could stop pretending that you're some sort of Savior, because we're trying to rebuild a lot of a sense of community, duty, and brotherhood that we lost over the last few terms, and your hysterical rants aren't helping. What this region needs now is a sense of mutual respect, and I think we're laying the foundations of that, but it's hard to do when we're being accused of things that this region as a whole has not perpetrated. I know for a fact that this administration and most, if not all, of the members here just want to move past a momentary lapse in judgement and a spilling of grievances and move forward together.

Will you allow us to do that? You're a very smart guy, you could be an extreme asset to this region, but you can't look at us from a perch of superiority. Get down here and do the grunt work. Respect us, we'll respect you back. We want to build this region, we want to build this community, we don't care about the Library, so please, for the love of God, just let us move on.

Henry, stop looking at the ugliness, you're the one ginning it up. Do you not see all the good that's happening this term? JGlenn and Switz, two very new members, are doing excellently running their own Ministry. Our Senate is productive despite the oddities that compose it. Our population is up. Everyone cares about the betterment of the region, and you and a few others are trying to make issues out of little things. We've had disagreements, and sometimes we may not handle them right, but we come back every day. Why? Because we care.

There's no Europeian underworld of evil, we're legitimately just a region trying our hardest to do our best. I'd appreciate it if you could stop pretending that you're some sort of Savior, because we're trying to rebuild a lot of a sense of community, duty, and brotherhood that we lost over the last few terms, and your hysterical rants aren't helping. What this region needs now is a sense of mutual respect, and I think we're laying the foundations of that, but it's hard to do when we're being accused of things that this region as a whole has not perpetrated. I know for a fact that this administration and most, if not all, of the members here just want to move past a momentary lapse in judgement and a spilling of grievances and move forward together.

Will you allow us to do that? You're a very smart guy, you could be an extreme asset to this region, but you can't look at us from a perch of superiority. Get down here and do the grunt work. Respect us, we'll respect you back. We want to build this region, we want to build this community, we don't care about the Library, so please, for the love of God, just let us move on.
Mac the Knife!

Mac the Knife!
Hear hear.

Amen.

never said there was a Europeia underworld of evil, but people could at least try a little bit harder to change the shit that was pointed out a long time ago by myself and if people actually listened to what I've said instead of discounting it for the way it's said, we would be a lot closer to actually having a positive environment here in Europeia.

I react to negativity; I react to Bullshit; I react to lies and propaganda. You're not trying to rebuild anything here. Well, maybe you are; but there are far too many people here chasing their own damned agendas for anybody to rebuild anything. If they cared about anyone else but themselves; if they cared about anyone elses gain but their own; Europeia would be a far different place right now. A lot better of a place.

I'll tell you one thing: you don't build a sense of community by driving a wedge in it. People will never have mutual respect here. Some will, but many don't. Why? Because Europeia is filled to the brim with some of the biggest egos in NS.

Listen, you still have people here who continue to egg me on knowing I go off on tangents and you want to talk about communal effort? I was talking about communal effort over half a year ago. Communicate more with others, I said. Let them know what they're doing wrong in polite tones so that they may be aware of it and if that doesn't work, bring along an un-biased person to listen to both sides and deal with it. How can you expect me to respect anyone here when no respect was ever truly given to me. I did come in here an egotistical asshole with a lot of outrageous claims but did anyone give me the benefit of the doubt at the time? Did anyone try to work with me to stop me from doing that? No. I have tried, time and again, to help others out. I point things out. You tell me to jump in and help? I'm starting on peoples attitudes. So I have a bad attitude when it comes to bad attitudes and the way people jump on me with personal attacks the moment I start saying anything political. It's just like school all over again, with people trying to get a rise out of me. Ever since I got here in Europeia. No Respect. You don't even read what I have to say anymore because you don't give a fuck for what may have importance in it. You just look at who the fuck is saying and how it's being said and you all say 'Fuck, Henry's at it again. Henry's full of shit. Henry's insane and delusional.'

Fuck you. You tell me I went overboard? For going overboard on people going overboard...

See, you all are united in the way you think at the moment, you're not going to recognize any fault of your own even if it's blatantly posted in your faces. (it is, btw.) So, continue doing what you've always done and hate the messenger. Hate on Henry for showing you up for what you truly are. Fuck you all, I'm done and gone. I will not be back here until serious changes have occurred.

Peace out homeslice. Don't let the door hit you on the way out B-)

Just because we don't agree with you does not mean we don't respect you Henry. Your own perspective isn't always the "right" one and for you to come back, and disrespect our own views and perspectives is a bit rough to read. You didn't just say, well... I disagree and think such and such. I can respect that. Rather, you told anyone who didn't agree with you that they were wrong, corrupt and pursuing their own personal agenda. You claimed your own perspective to be above all others and to be reality.

You called anything else "bullshit, lies and propaganda". Bashing people down because you think they're wrong, is not respectful nor is it helping contrary to your belief. Are the only opinions you respect the ones that conform to what you think?

LMFAO @ Henry's post.

I quote this bit for posterity, an absolutely superb maniacal paragraph:

Listen, you still have people here who continue to egg me on knowing I go off on tangents and you want to talk about communal effort? I was talking about communal effort over half a year ago. Communicate more with others, I said. Let them know what they're doing wrong in polite tones so that they may be aware of it and if that doesn't work, bring along an un-biased person to listen to both sides and deal with it. How can you expect me to respect anyone here when no respect was ever truly given to me. I did come in here an egotistical asshole with a lot of outrageous claims but did anyone give me the benefit of the doubt at the time? Did anyone try to work with me to stop me from doing that? No. I have tried, time and again, to help others out. I point things out. You tell me to jump in and help? I'm starting on peoples attitudes. So I have a bad attitude when it comes to bad attitudes and the way people jump on me with personal attacks the moment I start saying anything political. It's just like school all over again, with people trying to get a rise out of me. Ever since I got here in Europeia. No Respect. You don't even read what I have to say anymore because you don't give a fuck for what may have importance in it. You just look at who the fuck is saying and how it's being said and you all say 'Fuck, Henry's at it again. Henry's full of shit. Henry's insane and delusional.'

Don't pretend no one has ever given you the benefit of the doubt or a chance to prove your capabilities Henry because you and I both know that's complete and utter bullshit. Nobody's going to feel sorry for you on false pretenses. If you want to leave, leave. You're not doing anything productive anyway. But don't sit here and and parrot Falconias-like doomsday propoganda. Europeia's not going anywhere.

Henry...I've always respected you. Always thought you had good stuff to say...this time though, I'm just..worried?

You've been coming and going for months now. You think you understand the state of the region, but you really have no idea. Not just historical stuff either -- before you retort. The conflict issues, the fierce relationship issues, what has been done and said. I truly don't think you grasp the extent to which certain members hold disdain, just as you don't understand people are trying to bridge that gap.

I've held my tongue for a while now. I have. But you honestly can't give the sort of verdict you have after a week. There's too much to gather, too much to understand. I concur fully with the cautious-Sopo approach, personally. But guess what? If others hate Oliver with their whole heart and trust the library 0%, they have that right. Maybe that they Oliver tattooed on their chest. That's alright too. We are Europeia because we can disagree, AND care for the region at the same time. The problem you have with us...is that you have a problem doing both.

Even I'm gonna say it's time to let this one go Henry.. you've been good to me (though sometimes I'm not sure why), but whatever points you're making are getting lost. Just let it go.

Henry, I've tried to be reasonable with you. What makes that difficult is that you say things in this horribly offensive, derisive, arrogant manner while recognizing that you are, in fact, saying things in such a manner. If you can't even correct your own hypocrisies, how can you dare try to right ours?

Back