EuroVoice: The Oldbies Play Alone

The Oldbies Play Alone

The days of the newbies v. the Old Guard are long past, but not because Europeia doesn't love a good conflict- because all the newbies have become oldbies. For all the pomp and circumstance surrounding the dramatic rise in Europeia's population and subsequent decline, very few prominent members have emerged from the period of great "growth." While members are still joining the region and joining the forums, the retention rate has been way down in recent months.

To some, it seems like Europeia is becoming "stale." This is not because the actual region is losing its appeal, but because new faces are becoming less and less common on the forums. Most members who apply for citizenship disappear quite quickly, with few notable exceptions. The root of this problem is difficult to determine. We are currently facing the summer slump, but this is an ongoing trend, not one that has just appeared in the weeks of summer, not to mention that our current membership has upped posting since summer began.

So, instead of focusing on where the problem originated, let's take a look at how to fix it. The newcomers' handbooks are now severely outdated and in need of update. I would suggest shooting Welfare Minister Ogastein a PM if you'd like to help with that job. Greeting the new members who do arrive on the forums is always a plus as well- you're more likely to stay if you start making friends. Organic relationships seem to work out better than the Mentor System, so don't just wait around for that to get another face-lift. If you are a new member reading this, wondering what there is to do around here, I suggest becoming a Junior Minister, joining the City Council, or chatting it up in the Republic Square. None of those for you? Shoot me a PM, I'll give you even more ideas!

Another solutions oriented article!

:D

Could there be a "Job Listings" link in the main banner? For example, the Ministers and all the heads of various things could put up vacancies?

And then when a new listing has been put up, change the link to "Job Listings - New Vacancies" (or something like that).

I remember Rachel putting up the call for Justice applications in the Grand Hall and that gets swamped easily. Obviously, one's listing can link to a more detailed post.

I tried an employment office when I was Welfare Minister. It was set up fairly well, there was just little participation by the Ministries and other individuals. Here it is.

I tried an employment office when I was Welfare Minister. It was set up fairly well, there was just little participation by the Ministries and other individuals. Here it is.
Stick that on the banner somehow and let's get rolling. Pokity Cord for him to get something about the JTC on there, HEM for the CC and then pokity Rach for not using this when we had Senate and Court vacancies.

Sounds good to me.

Good article, Sopo. One quibble -- I believe we need to understand the causes of our retention problem to devise solutions. For example, Welfare has been up and down over the past several months, but our retention of new members has been consistently poor across the entire period. Therefore, though I certainly hope Ogastein can get Welfare back on track, we shouldn't expect that to solve our retention problem.

I think that's fair. It seems like the problem is that we don't have the programs to keep people on the forums once they get here, and the conventional things like the Mentor Program aren't working. We need to start thinking outside the box.

Have we ever asked those who leave about their motivations for doing so?

I was just talking to Lethen on this very subject the other day. Went through the join dates of members and what they've done here etc systematically back to 2009. And definitely what you can see very starkly is that the number of new people joining the forums and becoming active has all but dried up, especially when compared with the past when people came in droves to become active and contribute here.

This isn't something that has happenned *now*, its been in the making for ages, for almost a year the new people registering here haven't been getting as active and involved as they could be.

Why? Now that's a bloody good question. We can tentatively say we have become "stale" - or "mature" for a more positive spin. I concur with Skizzy that fixing Welfare is unlikely to change the situation because it must be quite a deep seated general impression that new members get of us to have the numbers of them following through into significant activity here dropping so starkly.

But I don't have any better ideas, so we should do what we can to improve the situation, and help persuade new people that Europeia can be an interesting and dynamic place to be, where they will get noticed, and their efforts will be rewarded. But I think it needs a personal touch, and it needs to be natural, because I've seen such efforts backfire before...

To be fair, I only really joined as a citizen in last August :p
Yes, you pointed that out to me earlier, and I do acknowledge that registration dates are therefore clearly not a completely 100% accurate indicator.

But August *is* nearly a year ago. I think the trend is still very stark, even with the likes of yourself factored in. The fact you are an Exception really just proves the rule.

I can count the number of members who have joined this year and are active in politics on one hand, and that number has been shrinking.

Hrm, so the last time we got some hardcore newcomers was around my term... *hides keys to the sekrit activity portal* :p

In more seriousness, perhaps it means that what Sopo and Ogastein were doing back then was the right thing to do, and what that was and how to do it again would be a good topic of study...

Or perhaps your face would be a good topic of study?...seeing as it was under the auspices of your face that you claim success was last reached... :ph43r:

Back