World Assembly Affairs Completes First RMB Proposal Discussion

World Assembly Affairs Completes First RMB Proposal Discussion
Participation Higher Than the Ministry Expected

Written by Pland Adanna

On May 15, Minister of World Assembly Affairs Pland Adanna kicked off the first discussion of a World Assembly proposal on Europeia’s Regional Message Board. The discussion attracted higher participation than expected, with Pland Adanna “moderating” between each comment. The subject of discussion was the Humane Slaughter Act, a proposal by first-time author Libertarian States. It aims to protect animals from inhumane slaughter by imposing a requirement that an animal feel no pain before processing can begin and that slaughters need to be as quick as possible.

While people generally agreed with the goal of the proposal, many concerns were raised over how it tried to achieve that goal. Some of the concerns included:
  • a loophole that would allow anyone to claim their animal slaughter to be part of a religious ceremony,
  • how to guarantee fish don’t suffer when they are removed from the water,
  • what exactly is meant when the proposal says animals must be “rendered insensitive to pain by any means that are rapid and effective, before being otherwise processed”, and
  • the lack of distinction between intelligent or sentient animals and other animals.
The other major point of discussion was whether legislation of animal rights is appropriate for the World Assembly. While there seemed to be general consensus that legislating moral issues is acceptable, some argued that animal rights are not really an international issue and that the World Assembly should only deal with things that are too large-scale or too important for individual nations to handle.

President Kazaman, when asked to comment, said, “I was pleasantly surprised by the engagement we got, both in terms of how many posts there were, how long the discussion has run, and how many participants were residents rather than citizens,” and added, “I'm hoping we can keep up the momentum.” Vice President UPC expressed similar thoughts, saying, “I was very happy with the RMB discussion. We had a lively discussion and I think that many people were able to express their views on the resolution.”

About ten people participated, which is significant, considering the recent lower engagement level on the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs’ usual discussions. The participants included big names like President Kazaman, Vice President UPC, Delegate Prim, and Vice Delegate Le Libertie. However, they also included a handful of non-citizens and people who aren’t yet active on the forums.

The discussion comes as part of President Kazaman’s efforts to increase Europeia’s gameside presence through several ministries. The administration plans to continue these RMB discussions about once every two weeks and to encourage everyone to take part in the future. “I was also very grateful to see a number of our citizens branch out and participate on the RMB,” Vice President UPC said. “So, to those of you that did that, thank you very much!”

It’ll be to see how this could potentially be a catalyst for similar projects in GCRs and similarly sized UCRs! I’m Executive Deputy Minister for WA in TNP and I proposed something like this, so I’ll be excited to see how this hopefully develops into something fantastic!

Back