Wildcard Submission

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

I promise some day soon I will recreate a graphic more appropriately sized but PhotoBucket is such a pain in the ass, people, and I simply can't be bothered today. I'm far too busy shoveling Ben & Jerry's into my gullet, rewatching 'Definitely, Maybe', and harvesting enough of my own tears to serve as adequate lubrication. Happy Valentine's Day and welcome to the newest 'Wildcard Submission' from the Europeian Citizen!

We once again stand poised for a presidential election. That's right, the standing period will open no more than six days from now. In our last contest, if you could call it that (you can't), it was blatantly obvious that then Vice President Mousebumples was next in line when President Malashaan made it clear he would be a one and done chief executive and not just because she literally was. Well before the election became a priority we knew she was running, we knew she could do the job, and we knew she was the frontrunner. This is not an unfamiliar phenomenon in Europeian presidential politics.

Many presidents have had the obvious next man (or woman) working under them, waiting in the wings as it were. HEM had Lethen, Pope Lexus X had Asianatic, he also had Lethen, then Lethen had Aramor, and so on, and so on. While the electoral math is not always assured for these types of candidates, they're perceived as a natural and more importantly, apparent, successor that is undoubtedly ready for their shot at the Goldenblock.

I would be so bold to assert that no such individual currently resides in Europeia. There are a couple reasons for this, the first being that Mouse has been an unconventional president. There have been three formal addresses this term, none with much in the way of policy or strategy. She's a nuts and bolts kinda' gal. If something needs fixing, fix it, wait for the next thing to fix. This isn't an indictment of that style or method, simply an observation. It can work and in many ways it has. Though it isn't one that lends itself particularly well to imagination or vision, to working under and toward any particular strategy or theme, nor to synergy or adequate direction. My personal viewpoint is one that observes individuals in Cabinet who are perhaps stifled by a style of leadership that strives for an improved, optimized status quo rather than the next great adventure, one that values the concise nature of the bullet point rather than a grand speech, one that emphasizes troubleshooting rather than progress and finally, relies on deferment rather than decisiveness. I expect some to vehemently disagree with this sentiment but I assure you it's not mine alone.

The second reason: opinion on this term will prove to be more divided than previously thought, despite what we've seen in recent polling that focuses more on broad, generalized subjects. As a result there are two, three, maybe more political realities to consider. There will be irreconcilable impressions in stark contrast to at the very least a general consensus that usually follows a presidential term. It follows then that some candidates are going to seem more obvious or qualified than others to different factions, schools of thought, or interest groups. This is always the case to some degree. Here we're experiencing a more extreme (for serious lack of a better term) than what would be considered a normal cycle.

The question we must now ask then is "is this a good thing or a bad thing and why?" It could be either or even both. The true heir apparent can often trigger a dull election which we all agree is no fun for anyone and sometimes can even serve to weaken our political culture. On the other side of the coin, they often prove to be very effective presidents. Sometimes none of those things prove true. We don't have a one size fits all answer to this question as it relies too much of the specificity of circumstances. As such, we can choose to look at the coming uncertainty as an opportunity to hope for robust competition and detailed, thoughtful discussion.

While there is no expectation that we will be in any way surprised by who ends up running, the fact remains that this thing is wide open.

I think people are giving Mouse a bit of a bad rap. If the Ministers of hers are so stifled, what is the evidence of this? One comment in Vinage's poll? I don't think her Ministers have been held back by Mousebumples in any real sense.

I think the perception that the cabinet was stifled is erroneous, and I'm not sure where it's coming from. During the first of the term when I was in the cabinet myself, Mouse was certainly involved, but I never felt that anyone was not free to develop their own ideas - in fact she encouraged it. That said, I agree that there is not an obvious next in line, and I think that will make for an exciting election.

I agree that Mouse was an unconventional President in many of the ways the article states, and I think that she was the right President for the circumstances. I posit that Mouse is likely the last President in an "era" that started with Anumia. When Anumia's three term run began, I wanted to be President. Our joint ticket arose out of a discussion between him and I, which revealed that I had sweeping plans for mostly internal matters, whereas he wanted to overhaul foreign affairs. It made sense to work together to get "the complete package" and I was happy to take the back seat in title, on the understanding that he would not interfere with my internal projects unless he felt particularly strongly that I was making a mistake (he never did).

Anumia and I implemented our plans, I like to think mostly successfully, and Kraken came in and developed many of them a little further. When I ran for President, it was expressly because I felt that some of my internal reforms still needed a little tweaking, as well as the fact that mixlr and other developments had introduced further potential that was compatible with my earlier ideas. This leads us to Mouse's Presidency, and why I think she was the right person at the right time. As the article notes, she is very good at nuts and bolts - at getting things done - possibly the best we have in that field. She came into office on the back of a year of developments that had great potential, and had seen a fair amount of success, but were certainly not completely polished. I think Mouse was the perfect President to end the run that started with Anumia's Presidency and really solidify and operationalize the modern Europeian Executive.

This is why I am excited for the upcoming election. I think the time is right for a real review of what we have, and to start the next cycle of development. We have some extremely talented newer members who are already involved, and I am sure at least one of them will be on the ballot this time. We are in a very strong position in terms of recruitment and engagement in activities. Our Culture and Communication infrastructure in particular is probably the strongest it has ever been. Whomever is elected our next President will have a fantastic set of tools available to them to take the region in whatever direction he or she chooses.

Malashaan said:
I think Mouse was the perfect President to end the run that started with Anumia's Presidency and really solidify and operationalize the modern Europeian Executive.
Even though she's allowed some of Anumia's namesake programs to languish, some would say in a fairly disinterested fashion?

I did the same, even with some of my own programs. Not everything that was done in Anumia's first term worked out, but the overall drive has been successful. For example, I think we all recognize that GAP as an independent entity is pretty much dead, but some of the concepts that came with it are very much part of our foreign affairs.

Malashaan said:
I did the same, even with some of my own programs. Not everything that was done in Anumia's first term worked out, but the overall drive has been successful. For example, I think we all recognize that GAP as an independent entity is pretty much dead, but some of the concepts that came with it are very much part of our foreign affairs.
Maybe so. I do wonder if he would agree.

I am very excited for this next election primarily because there is no heir apparent...but lots of qualified people who could be stars.

And I think a large reason Mouse is more of a "nuts and bolts" leader is because the last grand and ambitious plan by a President was a complete failure due to many circumstances, and I could daresay it's left a sour taste in the mouth of many who would simply point to the GAP when someone proposes the next grand and ambitious plan.

In all sincerity, this is a fantastic article --- the only quibble is that I wish I wrote it myself. I really do hope this gets the views, replies and discussion it so clearly warrants.

I like good executors, I like people with their head screwed on straight (it's then trivial to find out what response was mine in Vinage's The Stag publication :p), so it's no secret I like how Mousebumples has conducted her Cabinet. She is Steve-Jobs like in that she has a very good sense of taste and what works, she's able to lick the computer screen and go "hmm, that'll work" or "that won't" --- just from a glance and I think history will be kinder on her, even if some of us aren't now.

While I think there isn't a heir apparent, there are certainly individuals who've put themselves into positions to run already.

Great article.

I think Mouse has been a fine President. I've been struggling to understand why that view isn't the consensus. CSP hits the nail on the head -- Mouse is all about brevity and getting things done. I like that; some people don't.

As for the "heir apparent," I could see Drecq finally taking a turn, or Krak's returning for another term. Neither seems likely, however, so I agree there's a bit if a vacuum.

Back