Wildcard Submission

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

I honestly think that once your identity is established and your reputation is articulated by someone else, you only need to make one post per year after that to solidly reaffirm that perception in the mind of the community at large. You can make hundreds or even thousands of posts throughout the year that paint a different (or at least more complex) picture but that one time you let your guard down, that one time you forget your filter, can't be taken back. I hit the post button yesterday and instantly thought to myself, "You did it again, you moron."

You know what? It was worth it. Something needs to be said and as is so often the case, if I don't say it then nobody will. Not only do I think Aditya Republic needs to be borderline-brutally chastised for repeatedly inserting himself into elections he has absolutely no earthly business in, I think we need to discuss requiring a minimum level of support for those standing in presidential elections.

"Tell us more, CSP!". That's how I imagine you all reading this, by the way, and I'd be happy to. The Europeian presidency isn't the same position as it was before 2011 and neither is our executive government itself. There was a time when most anybody could put in a solid effort and perform at least suitably as president. There was a time when our government could be run by a small handful of committed individuals. Those days are long, long gone. Our executive government, in the context of NationStates, is massive. I didn't say big or large or husky. I said massive. It's borderline morbidly obese, folks. Knowing this, we also know that leading it effectively over the course of 70 days is a big job that only a president with a big vision and serious chops can perform to our satisfaction.

There are few choices more important than who we choose to lead us, whose ideas and qualifications give us a shot to move forward and achieve our shared goals. We can't afford to get it wrong. There's just too much at stake. If we can agree on that, I think we can then agree that demonstrating a minimum level of support isn't such a radical idea. It might just be the responsible thing to do.

Elections can and often are decided by but a few votes and in their final minutes. Allowing candidates with no support whatsoever to play with just two votes has the potential to change the outcome. Now do I think that Aditya's candidacy is going to effect the result of this election? At this time, I do not. I can, however, see a scenario playing out in the future that isn't at all far-fetched and I'd very much like to avoid it.

Simply, I propose the following:

- Candidates standing for the Office of President must present eight signatures, at the time of standing, from citizens eligible to vote who support their inclusion on the ballot in order to appear on it
- These signatures will be verified (without much effort, I'll add) by the Chancellery

There are certainly details to be debated but I'll leave that sort of thing to Drecqs and Malashaans to consider. In the meantime, let's not let our desire to be inclusive keep us from calling extraordinary examples of jackassery what they are or talking about a very obvious problem that we should be seeking to fix. There are many Adityas in the world and none of them belong in a race for the Europeian presidency. Let's protect the Office. Let's protect our future. Let's try out a very simple, common-sense, and easy-to-implement solution.

I dont support this proposal. For one, the campaigns are supposed to be where you get people to support you based on your ideas (and other stuff). And it is entirely possible (while highly unlikely) that someone enters the race with no support but turns everybody around because of an amazing platform and campaign.
Additionally, while I think Aditya is obviously blind to the fact that nobody in their right mind is going to vote for him and his repeated insertions are destroying any chance he has at ever launching a successful political career in Europeia, he also doesnt detract anything from the process. Hes not poaching voters or attention from more qualified candidates. He has literally a zero percent chance of getting elected. He has no credible support.
Hes not hurting anyone but himself. Lets let him.

If only we had viable political parties that could vet a candidate before they were to stand.... /s

And I completely agree with you that our executive government is "morbidly obese", a fact I was lamenting to Anumia just this morning.

Rylian said:
And I completely agree with you that our executive government is "morbidly obese", a fact I was lamenting to Anumia just this morning.
I third the motion.

As far as the main idea of this piece is concerned... I see its value from an institutional point of view, and I am certainly aware of the very real risk of affecting the outcome of a competitive election. What makes me uneasy is the principle of introducing criteria for ballot eligibility.

So yeah, am curious to see how the debate evolves, because I'm certainly sitting on the fence at the moment.

Why can't we just cull the politically hopeless periodically and be done with it? :p

Seriously though, my response to the candidacy was of exasperation trending towards genuine annoyance, but, it's a free goddamn Republic. We let HEM forgive people and give billionth chances every season, we let me claim godhood and demand sacrifices, and we let you pour hydrochloric acid down our throats for our own good. :p Officially, you'd better believe we should let the kid run. Unofficially, someone should try to convince him why it is a bad idea. Like writing the article above. Hey, wait a minute...well played. :ph43r:

Now that Aditya has stood, there won't be an Abstain option, so we literally have no choice but Writinglegend or Aditya. That power is cause for concern.

(5) Every citizen of Europeia shall have the right to vote and stand in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret ballot or by equivalent free voting procedures.
Now, I am no judicial expert but if CSP's proposal was installed, would it violate the amendment above in the Charter of Rights Act?

Or someone else could stand seeing as how its still very early. And technically the other option is "Re-Open Elections". Btw, if you want to have an option in the election for people to vote for that would reopen standing no matter how many people stand then thats what you should legislate. Restricting the ability to stand for election isnt the way to fix that. Well, technically it is a way but the side effects are far more important in that case than the actual problem addressed.

@Ervald: Yes, it would have to include a constitutional amendment to restrict that right.

Drecq said:
@Ervald: Yes, it would have to include a constitutional amendment to restrict that right.
Interesting, I don't believe the Charter of Rights Act have never been amended. Typically, that is the piece of legislation that almost never get changed in a region.

Ervald said:
Drecq said:
Interesting, I don't believe the Charter of Rights Act have never been amended. Typically, that is the piece of legislation that almost never get changed in a region.
The new CoR that was passed last year hasnt been amended yet. The 2012 CoR that was repealed last year was only amended once (to introduce the reasonable limits clause). So yes, we tend to amend it less than other laws, but we have amended it.

Klatonia said:
What makes me uneasy is the principle of introducing criteria for ballot eligibility.
Why? It's done in nearly every election in the US, to some extent. You either have to pay a filing fee or file a petition with a required number of signatures on it. It's not unreasonably burdensome, anybody who wants to run for City Council or Mayor can if they want to but they have to make the smallest of demonstrations that they're serious first. I don't think that's an affront to democracy.

Common-Sense Politics said:
Klatonia said:
What makes me uneasy is the principle of introducing criteria for ballot eligibility.
Why? It's done in nearly every election in the US, to some extent. You either have to pay a filing fee or file a petition with a required number of signatures on it. It's not unreasonably burdensome, anybody who wants to run for City Council or Mayor can if they want to but they have to make the smallest of demonstrations that they're serious first. I don't think that's an affront to democracy.
The change from ''every citizen can run, no questions asked'' to ''you need to qualify to some norm other than citizenship in order to appear on the ballot'' felt like a rather huge step in Europeia.

I agree with you about the RL principle and I do think we need to have the discussion. Like I said, I'm on the fence. Maybe my mistake was to post a feeling rather than a thought.

Why that made me laugh - hard - I have no idea.

You're one of the good guys, CSP.

So, practical question: if we set criteria for eligibility for Presidential elections, couldn't the same argument be made for Senatorial elections? And... well, would it be such a bad thing?

There are already criteria for serving in these positions. Being elected. IRL if you didnt have a small hurdle to take prior youd be flooded. Thats not a problem we have had in Europeia. Yes, we sometimes get an overzealous newcomer (can we still call Aditya a newcomer since this is already the second Presidential election hes running in?) who runs. But I trust that the people of Europeia can differentiate between a serious candidate and one that isnt. This is after all a political roleplaying game where everyone (more or less) has basic knowledge of and interest in the election. There just isnt a problem here. A small annoyance but not a problem. Heavily cutting into peoples political rights to fix an annoyance isnt something we should do.
There is a german proverb, which I will recount and loosely translate, as I am unaware of the english equivalent:"Man soll nicht mit Kanonen auf Spatzen schießen." or "One shouldnt shoot at sparrows with heavy artillery." Or to put it simply: Dont overreact.

Drecq said:
"Man soll nicht mit Kanonen auf Spatzen schießen." or "One shouldnt shoot at sparrows with heavy artillery." Or to put it simply: Dont overreact.
*Claps.* Beautiful.

Klatonia said:
Why that made me laugh - hard - I have no idea.

You're one of the good guys, CSP.

So, practical question: if we set criteria for eligibility for Presidential elections, couldn't the same argument be made for Senatorial elections? And... well, would it be such a bad thing?
Haha, thanks. And yeah, I suppose it could though I wouldn't support mandatory minimum support requirements for Senate candidates and would argue against them strongly.

I wouldn't say a petition required to run is antidemocratic, because the People would be granting permission for the candidate to run. If we required SC approval or something? Yeah, that's antidemocratic.

On the other hand, I think the point that the candidates typically gain their support through the platform is very important. This change would formalize the status quo of voting based on experience rather than campaign.

Back