Who are we // Who we are

I really like Drecq's statement -- it feels like a good overview of Europeia's values and definitely gives good context to the discord rules.

Drecq's is good, but it could do with a bit of a spit shine just to be on the safe side.

There is certainly some polishing we can do. Perhaps:
"We are a community. We are open and honest with each other. We all speak our own truths, but our right to do so stops where other people's rights begin. We do not insult each other, we do not threaten each other, and we try hard not to offend each other. Some of us are members of groups that, due to their disadvantaged position in the real world, require protection. Women, Persons of Color, Members of the LGBTQ community, and more. In Europeia we guarantee these groups the equality they lack elsewhere. We extend this belief in everyone's equality to the way we interact with each other and we ask all our members to do the same."

A little longer, especially as it includes a direction to act in accordance with those values, but more direct.

I feel we shouldn't say they need protection. They just need to be treated better and equally.
I can't think of a better way to word it but thought I would bring that up.

The members dont need protection. The groups do. At least, unless a sudden and dramatic shift in the way the world treats women, poc, and lgbtq people has happened in the last 10 minutes that I am as of yet unaware of. Also, a policy, even an unofficial one, to treat a group better is "protection".

I think that's a solid statement Drecq

We are a community. We are open and honest with each other. We all speak our own truths, but our right to do so stops where other people's rights begin. We do not insult each other, we do not threaten each other, and we try hard not to offend or insult each other. Some of us are members of groups that, due to their disadvantaged position in the real world, require protection. Women, Persons of Color, Members of the LGBTQ community, and more. [Even the simple act of listing them implies that there is a hierarchy.] In Europeia we guarantee these groups the equality they lack elsewhere. We extend this belief in everyone's equality to the way we interact with each other and we askdemand all our members to do the same.

Better? A little stronger language, cut out some unnecessary bits.

Back