*waves*

Drecq

Vice Chancellor
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Discord Moderator
*goes to find out what splitting the executive entailed*

Good to see so many old faces are still around.
^_^

Prim, the old Gatesville days were a lifetime ago but I remember you well, they were fascinating times.

Life has been incredibly busy and changeable over the last few years but mostly positive I’m happy to say. I hope you’re all doing well notwithstanding the pandemic. Has it had any effect on activity around NS out of interest?
Hey PLX! Long time no see.

The Executive Split was essentially a split into a domestic policy executive called the First Minister (elected essentially like the President was previously and is again) and a foreign policy executive called the Chief of State (elected by the Senate but candidates stand like they did for President). MoFA, Navy, and WA were under CoS. The rest under the FM. AG worked for both. Senate, the Court, and the Chancellery remained as it was before.

What else might be new... . Senate size is now chosen by popular vote (for a while we had a convoluted method whereby people voted for a size but which size got picked was determined by sets (so if 6 seats was really popular but 5 was really unpopular then 6 might still lose out to 8 which might be less popular then 6 though still popular if 9 right next to 8 were more popular than 5) and now we have a method where you have a system where we ask people to vote for all seat options they would accept, thereby finding the least objectionable option).

I think thats pretty much it for big-ish changes that happened.

JayDee

Never Honorable, sometimes Right
Senator
Citizen
I didn't know about the recent change to seating, I figured voting for seats was the same as when I left :p

Prim

WA Delegate
Associate Justice
Citizen
I didn't know about the recent change to seating, I figured voting for seats was the same as when I left :p
There were a couple elections where the outcome seemed a little unjust, simply because people didn't vote strategically.

I think several people voted for "5 seats" and the result ended up with 9 seats, but if those same people had voted for "6 seats", it would have ended up with 7 seats winning, more preferable for them than 9. So, there was some spoiler effect going on, especially for people who voted early on in the vote process. So, we discussed alternatives and the approval voting method was supported and passed through.

JayDee

Never Honorable, sometimes Right
Senator
Citizen
There were a couple elections where the outcome seemed a little unjust, simply because people didn't vote strategically.

I think several people voted for "5 seats" and the result ended up with 9 seats, but if those same people had voted for "6 seats", it would have ended up with 7 seats winning, more preferable for them than 9. So, there was some spoiler effect going on, especially for people who voted early on in the vote process. So, we discussed alternatives and the approval voting method was supported and passed through.
Interesting development. The old system was rather complicated.

Edit: I use old loosely, it’s still relatively recent compared to the original system.

Sopo

simp for hem
Forum Administrator
Cabinet
Honoured Citizen
Citizen

^_^

Prim, the old Gatesville days were a lifetime ago but I remember you well, they were fascinating times.

Life has been incredibly busy and changeable over the last few years but mostly positive I’m happy to say. I hope you’re all doing well notwithstanding the pandemic. Has it had any effect on activity around NS out of interest?
We had a lot of older members returned due to COVID-19 and existing members were definitely more active. We also had a population boom from a YouTuber featuring NS back in April that saw us surpass 2000 nations for awhile. Things have normalized a bit since summer ended.

Kazaman

Citizen

^_^

We had a lot of older members returned due to COVID-19 and existing members were definitely more active. We also had a population boom from a YouTuber featuring NS back in April that saw us surpass 2000 nations for awhile. Things have normalized a bit since summer ended.

Oh nice I didn't know that, I'll have to look that up.

Pichtonia

Vice President
Cabinet
Deputy Minister
Citizen
Discord Moderator
Welcome back to Europeia!I hope you'll be able to settle back in smoothly, I imagine it looks and feels very different.

Lethen

Proud New Jersey Garbage Human
Forum Administrator
Supreme Chancellor
Citizen

^_^

Oh nice I didn't know that, I'll have to look that up.
The Drew Boom, for reference