Two Issues

Anumia

1) Just below the banner, there was an...image, I would imagine, in the background behind the links for the Regional Chatroom, Portal, Help, Search...etc. Now it simply says, "403 Forbidden: This file removed due to violation..." - it is cut off there. Is this happening to everyone or just me? Has the image been lost, perhaps?

2) I now have significant difficulty loading this forum (and only this forum, ie, Europeia, not Hampshire or anywhere else) on my phone. It will not actually load any threads in normal mode, preferring to sit at around 90% loaded (and still a blank page) forever; only in "Mobile View" (which is a poor substitute, and being a global setting, screws up everything else I might be working on in tabs on my phone browser) can these pages be loaded.

Halp! :( #2 is a more significant issue, but it is possible, given that I have only noticed the 403 error recently and the #2 issue is also recent, that they have a common source. Have there been any scripting or CSS/Header changes to the forum recently?

I don't see the 403 thing. Not sure what would cause that.

Nvm, I see it now.

Edit: And the 403 is gone again. ... *twilight zone theme plays*

Nvm, I see it now.

Just press ctrl+F5 to refresh your cache and you will be seeing it permanently :p .

It is an image that was being hosted on imageshack and has been removed for violations of their terms of use or owner request (apparently). Not sure what exactly it violated.

This is an example of why the admins should look into implementing the suggestion I made here.

*grins* Always time for a plug, eh r3n?

...but it's a worthwhile one. Takes a bit of time at the start, then reaps continuous rewards thereafter. For once in our lives, we should listen to the penguin :p

Nvm, I see it now.

Just press ctrl+F5 to refresh your cache and you will be seeing it permanently :p .

It is an image that was being hosted on imageshack and has been removed for violations of their terms of use or owner request (apparently). Not sure what exactly it violated.

This is an example of why the admins should look into implementing the suggestion I made here.
I can't see that link...and now I see it.

I hate you. Blah.

The only problem is that the only image shack image is the Euro flag in the header.

Nvm. Found it as part of the coding for the style sheet under 'submenu'. If anybody knows what that means or why that code was there, I hereby pronounce you smart.

I saw the 403 thing when I just logged on a few minutes ago. Also, R3n, I can't see where that link takes me.

And Nums, I logged onto the forums from my phone earlier today and it seemed fine... :unsure:

It's a post of mine inside the ERN HQ, where I suggest that all forum images should be uploaded on the forum server.

Nvm. Found it as part of the coding for the style sheet under 'submenu'. If anybody knows what that means or why that code was there, I hereby pronounce you smart.
CSS is a way of defining the appearance of a website, and is used widely around the web. Basically, you split the website into many structural parts, and then on a CSS sheet, like the one you edited, you define how each of this parts should look like. Then, the various pages of the website are created by stacking this parts together in some meaningful way.

Reading the source code, my guess would be that you edited the following:

Code:
#submenu   { border:1px solid #dedede;border-top:1px solid #f8f8f8;background-color: #f6f6f6;font-size:10px;margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;color:#222;font-weight:bold;}
which probably read something like
Code:
#submenu   { border:1px solid #dedede;border-top:1px solid #f8f8f8;background-color: #f6f6f6;font-size:10px;margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;color:#222;font-weight:bold;background-image: url(http://img164.exs.cx/img164/1313/silver9qi.gif);}
before your edit. I assume you also edited the "postlinksbar" menu, as the 403 error warning also appeared in the area after the header at the beginning of a post (which is governed by the postlinksbar field of the CSS sheet).

Note that this is not a perfect solution. Where there used to be an image, the offending
Code:
http://img164.exs.cx/img164/1313/silver9qi.gif
now there is nothing. As far as I remember, the figure looked a lot like this image
Code:
http://img120.exs.cx/img120/3295/muks9ek.gif
, so a better solution may be to edit back the url() command and replace the offending url with the above.

EDIT: To make things easy, I would suggest that you replace the submenu code with the following:
Code:
#submenu   { border:1px solid #dedede;border-top:1px solid #f8f8f8;background-color: #f6f6f6;font-size:10px;margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;color:#222;font-weight:bold;background-image: url(http://img120.exs.cx/img120/3295/muks9ek.gif);}
and the postlinksbar code with
Code:
.postlinksbar { background-color:#f8f8f8;border-top:1px solid #f8f8f8;padding:5px;margin-top:1px;font-size:10px;background-image: url(http://img120.exs.cx/img120/3295/muks9ek.gif); }

Note also that there are two more externally hosted images in the CSS. One is the header
Code:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4259/newforumheader.png

and the other is the one I mentioned above,
. Given the other disappearances, it may be wise to start by storing these two safely or, even better, uploading them on the forum server.

I'll talk to HEM about it asap.

It can be done by any admin, but given the amount of work involved if you decide to start uploading everything, it would be better if you split the effort.

The easiest way to do it is to create a special thread in an area where the admins have image uploading rights, to be used exclusively for the purpose of uploading images. Then, let's say there is an image you want to upload. What you do is:

-store the image locally on your hard drive;
-click to make a new post in the special thread you created;
-just before the "Submit post" button, you will see the option to upload images; click it and select the image you just stored on your hard drive; then make the new post;
-when you make a post, you will see an image attached.

It is preferable to upload images as either .png or .gif, and not as .jpeg. Sometimes, IF forums convert very small .jpeg images to the file format .ibf, which is annoying.

Note also that, for small images, you will not be able to infer their link from the post where the attachment was made. In that case, it is easier to find it from the Admin CP. Specifically, go to File Manager (under the InvisionFree Network category) and select Attachments. There, you will see a list of all the images that have been uploaded on the forum server by means of post attachments. You can obtain the link for each of those by left-clicking on their names and selecting copy image location.

I saw the 403 thing when I just logged on a few minutes ago. Also, R3n, I can't see where that link takes me.

And Nums, I logged onto the forums from my phone earlier today and it seemed fine... :unsure:
I use Opera Mini for Android, and according to Google I am the -only- person in the universe in this situation of the general issue I have always had in loading these forums (or other pages, but the problem presents most often in these forums). People using Opera Mini for the iPhone seem to be having the same issue, but it's something Apple did deliberately; I can find literally no-one else on Android having this problem anywhere on any website :(

Back