Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network

Treason
Written By HEM
ENN Chief Editor

Its not a happy time. Not at all.

Champagne Jam has been brought before the Court for treason against Europeia, he is accused of infiltrating the region as a spy, and breaking the Treason clause in the Constitution, and violating his oath of citizenship. However, this is far from a clear cut deal.

"When Lord Alphanesia was brought before the Court in September of 2007 it was pretty clear from the start that he was guilty," remarks court analysis, Fredrick Merkson. "The bench was also solely dominated by Pez201 who say the whole affair as pretty clear. He tried to invade, he tried to start a war, its obvious and over"

But this affair is going to be alot more messy then that. Champagne Jam has declined the idea of a plea bargain, and denies every single charge against him. Whispers started by Numero Captain, who's convo was used without consent is turning into a regional question of "Was the evidence and information the prosecution used stolen?" and if it is, does that mean that it is not valid.

"Indeed, its a big question, one that might be decided in the verdict. Is stolen evidence; ie evidence used without consent, evidence gathered from private areas -- usable in a court case?" ENN's Gloria Borger remarks.

Because if the 'illegal' testimony from Numero is thrown out, aswell as other alleged "stolen" information, it will be hard to find a law to convict under. However, something the prosecution has brought to the table is interesting.

Chief Prosecutor, HEM, cited The Crown v. Lord Alphanesia a case in which is was ruled that you could commit a crime that violated morality, or moral "common sense" and not written stature.

"This might be the most interesting part of the ruling," mentions Jack Cafferty, "If this ruling is finally thrown out of Common Law. It raised alot of questions then, and it still does now. This ruling was very much 'legislating from the bench' and was only made by a secretive plea bargain agreed to by HEM and Lord Alphanesia, the latter being both the defendant and Judge at the time"

Public opinion is not with Champagne Jam, however, has "common sense" finally been struck down by legalisms? Only the Justices from the bench, can tell.

An interesting constitutional consideration, made easier in AWP by having an uncodified constitution (there is wisdom in a combination of laziness and lack of consensus :p). One must also consider whether that possession of multiple personas is itself a violation of morality. I have in the past participated in some regions under other names merely for the fun of participating free from stigma, or at other times in the interests of my own regions security, with no intent of hurting the other region, but instead supporting and helping it develop, and in exchange I have taken IPs off their forums to increase the security of my own region. Is such an action really a moral crime, taking into consideration that that region also gains the protection of my IP library that they wouldn't have if I hadn't gone their with the purpose of gaining their trust for AWP's benefit.

Have I done anything wrong in doing so? Probably not actually. But would it be concieved that way if individuals in the region where to find out? Perhaps. Its an interesting dilemma, and perhaps not one that should be decided upon by only a select few individuals presiding over a case.

Back