To Rach

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
In a year where we have been surprised on numerous occasions by the terrible intentions of many formerly respected members, let’s take the chance to look back through 2017focusing on someone who has surprised us with their consistent leadership, kindness, and maturity. I knew from the moment this project was announced that Rach was the only choice I could consider for recognition because looking back at 2017, to me, makes the whole thing seem like a precursor to one of the best Presidencies in recent memories from one of the best citizens in Europeia.

Rach began her year of service by concluding her Citizens’ Assembly Chair term, a term praised for its high levels of activity and giving the previously slow Assembly a much needed shot in the arm. While her term was controversial for its Honored Citizen speaking rights legislation, among other things, there is no doubt that the Assembly could benefit from more Chairs committed to the steady stream of discussions that make the Assembly thrive, such as Rach.

Rach’s year continued with a term as Minister of World Assembly during my Presidential term. Getting Rach in that position was viewed as a wonderful addition to the Ministry, and it is clear to see to why. Rach is one of the few members of the region who not only understands World Assembly Affairs, having serving as a Delegate in Balder for many years, but actually cares enough to get others involved in the craft. Despite my resignation and lack of leadership on that front, I view Rach’s tenure in that position as one of the few bright spots of that term for her hard work in that Ministry.

The following term Rach was tapped as Minister of Communications, another position she shined in, not simply because of her own writing prowess, which is well-known, but her celebration of her workers, including the creation of the Silver Pen Award for successful Assistant Ministers.

After this string of successes, Rach took a step back from the Executive branch for a term, contributing through The Globe, her personal paper, before returning back to service through the November Presidential election as Brunhilde’s Vice President, filling in for the much maligned JayDee. We all know the story from here: Brun wins the Presidency mostly on the back of Rach’s impressive campaigning skills, Brun’s insidious actions soon get exposed to the region, earning him an administrative ban, and Rach rises to the Presidency for the first time since 2011.

Earning her own mandate after a recall election with new Vice President Darcness, Rach soon got to work fighting for the World Fair hosting bid, and putting together a divided region after a tough election. Rach went from success to success as President, strengthening ties with allies, earning the World Fair bid (and admirably dealing with the administrative scandal that soon followed), and recognizing the work of others through her multiple award speeches, showing her dedication to the lifeblood of the region before earning an 87% approval rating to close out the year.

While Rach’s work on behalf of the government is impressive by itself, taking context into account it is spectacular to many that Rach had the year she had, knowing her previously combative nature with many prominent players. I reached out to one former adversary, Lethen, who has a long and storied history of public fights with our President. The turnaround from those days has been stark, however, as Lethen discusses.
Calvin Coolidge: If you were asked what a modern-day Rach presidency would be like before she had returned to the office, is the term we just had what you would have imagined?

Lethen: I don't think so, no. One can't quite predict a presidential term for anyone that begins with the incoming President being banned for serial sexual harassment and other TOS violations/crimes. I did think she would have an okay Presidency, and there were still some weak spots, but overall this term was resoundingly stronger than what many of us expected. That may be my personal "Rach" bias speaking, but to put this into perspective I know of at least one VoNC discussion that never got off the ground. She did a great job on the administrative side of things, but I think she deserves most of her kudos for the leadership displayed. Using regular awards throughout the term, speeches, and other measures, Rach helped the community continue in its self-growth and healing process.

Now, had you asked me about this before Fall 2017 (when Rach was actively trying to make amends and turn over new leaves), I would have not even predicted an okay Presidency. She has had a divisive past in this region, so I'm happy to say that she's not only fixing that image but also helping Europeia along the way.

Calvin Coolidge: How does this Presidency differ from her last set of Presidencies?

Lethen: How does an apple compare to an orange? 2017 compared to 2011 is wildly different. Fair warning that I may have rose-colored glasses on, but 2011 was much more divisive and politically "toxic" (as much as I dislike that buzz word) - much more cruel - than 2017. And 2011 itself was just a bad year for Presidents. I can't tell you about the day-to-day, but I don't think I'd be surprised if I found out that Rach's terms then were dragged down by the overall mediocrity of other administrations while she herself was dragged into a lot of personal fights and below-the-belt disputes. We were all worse then. I mean, she and I hated each other for many years and that broken friendship began sometime in mid-2010, so if you look up threads in the Globe or the Grand Hall where she and I are main participants, its childish, cruel, and mean-spirited. Lines are crossed that would be scoffed at today, and from sitting and former Presidents no less! But I think this is the best Presidency she's ever had. Maybe I have recency bias though.
Rach has been an inspiration to me for most of my NS career in many aspects, I must confess. In the increasingly smaller world of private media outlets, I always viewed The Globe as the main rival of The Panda’s Pen, despite our difference in content, simply because Rach was such a talented writer and I had massive respect. As Rach got more involved in politics again I grew even more impressed, and I would sometimes tell Writinglegend that Rach is the only person I think could be a more skilled politician than he was. He never agreed. :p Here’s to you, Rach, a wonderful public servant, an incredibly talented person, and someone I am honored to count among my NS friends.

Sorry for the gravedig but I am, after all, Europeia's favorite zombie. I wanted to explicitly thank you for posting this and express my confusion that literally no one responded to it. We can debate the nitty gritty details but we should take more time to thank each other for the time they put in here. Thanks for thanking :p.

Astounding to think how quickly things can change over almost three months

Back