Time is Running Out to Save Foreign Affairs

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
With the Senate once again in the midst of overhauling our region's executive branch, I think the time has come to once again speak out on the state of Foreign Affairs in Europeia. As many have already stated, things are not good right now. In fact, it's quite possible that things haven't been good for a long time.

Right now I think it is fair to say that Europeian life is almost entirely unaffected by matters in other regions. There have been no major announcements from the Chief of State relating to anything outside of Europeia since January, when HEM relayed the events of a failed coup having taken place in The North Pacific. Our Council of Foreign Affairs has not made any announcements outside of opening and closing term speeches since January, either. January of 2019, that is.

Now, I know that speeches and policy announcements will be different from FA than any other Ministry due to the private nature of most of their work, however at what point does silence stop becoming a feature and start becoming a bug? Beyond that, how many citizens in the region notice or care when FA does have something to say? Last but not least, our region has been without a Grand Admiral for three weeks, with no nomination forthcoming, and little activity coming out of the Navy. The region has registered its displeasure for the state of affairs on the Chief of State, giving only the World Assembly Councillor and Chief of State himself an approval rating above 70 percent.

However, the problems with Foreign Affairs in our region are much larger than the current administration and to properly tackle this problem going forward, we need to understand why our region is so out of touch with Foreign Affairs, and why we don't care that we are.

Primarily, I think the biggest issue that there is no cost to ignoring FA. Before the executive split, there was a ceiling that prevented how high a citizen could rise through the ranks of the government with little to no experience in FA. That meant that ambitious citizens were forced to gain experience across a wide range of Ministries before being taken seriously as Presidential contenders. Now, a citizen has no ceiling, as they can rise to the position of First Minister without ever having so much as glanced at FA. In place of the ceiling, there is now a wall between domestic and foreign affairs, as citizens pick one side or the other to advance their career. However, way more often than not, new citizens choose domestic over foreign, which is why we consistently have seen citizens rise to First Minister within a year or less of their joining the region, but we have yet to see anyone new rise to Chief of State. In fact, we've hardly even had more than one candidate for Chief of State per election. On top of all of that, citizens don't even vote for Chief of State directly, passing the responsibility on to their Senators, so the cost for ignoring FA is even smaller than one might think. If one chose to ignore everything related to FA in Europeia, the downside would be... what, exactly?

On a more targeted level, the question we should be asking is why do citizens consistently choose to avoid FA when joining our region? What about it has put so many off? In short, it has been advertised as a place with a steep learning curve, and with high stakes. Not advertised explicitly, but certainly by association. When you think of FA, it is easy to think of the highest levels right away and get scared in a way that Comms or Culture don't. Unfortunately, this brings us to our next big problem: most Europeians don't know what FA entails, so they assume the worst. I could launch into explanations of what FA actually looks like day-to-day, but these articles by Aex and Sopo do a wonderful job of painting that picture, so I will leave it to them. Some important quotes to draw your attention to, though, include these:

"Now when people ask me what I look for in someone who could be a leader in our foreign affairs, or what I think is most important for someone who wants to be a leader I tell them three things: 1) temperament, 2) knowledge of our foreign policy and history, and 3) the ability to have time to waste. " - Aex

"The knowledge, most of which is just a Discord message away, is not nearly as important as enthusiasm for Europeia and our values, a willingness to stand up for what’s right, and a dash of charisma and negotiating skills." - Sopo

Taken together, I think these quotes do a wonderful job making it clear that Foreign Affairs, like any aspect of the region, requires a skillset, but that skillset does not take years of training, because most of the skills you likely already have, or are taking the time to develop already. So, trust me when I say that you probably have a firmer grasp on our Foreign Affairs than you think, just by participating in our region consistently. Of course, that's not everything, but the same is true for the domestic Ministries. One does not have to have served as Minister of Communications to know when an article is good or bad, or even be able to engage with that article. All you need is what you already bring to the table. Refining your skills is important, and takes time, but is not nearly as hard as you may imagine.

With the pep talk and crash course out of the way, where does that leave us? How can we reintroduce FA to the region in a way that makes sense and is beneficial? Make in mandatory to attain this knowledge to reach our pinnacle, make people face their fears so they can see that they aren't so bad. Raise the cost of ignoring FA. We're spinning out of control right now, with no reliable resources coming in to save our FA, and Europeia without FA is a much worse region. Sopo explains how our region suffers without FA in this broadcast (starting at 28:35). The benefits include citizen recruitment and reputation building, among others, and I highly recommend listening to Sopo for the four minutes it takes to get those points across.

To conclude, our region is at a critical point where our Foreign Affairs are suffering, and on the point of collapse, and if we care at all about making FA matter again, we have to act now, or risk losing a lot of what makes our region the amazing place that it is. Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, waving a giant flag.

I recognize and respect the pleas coming from veteran players like Calvin here in this article and Sopo in several places recently. I understand (and largely agree with) the need to preserve a significant place in the larger NS world for Europeia, and agree that failure to stay engaged with that world means a Europeia that inevitably branches off and withers away to nothingness over time. I certainly don't want that. I also want to say, however, that I think we have to be very, very careful about the solutions we choose to address this issue. I think this region is better off for encouraging new citizens to take the reigns and reach for high leadership positions, and I would hate to see the bar to the ultimate office being lifted so high that it seems insurmountable to newer players. I'm not going to go beyond this relatively vague statement for now because there is a lot of discussion to come, but I simply offer this counter-warning to Calvin's warning here - if we go too far in the other direction, we don't risk withering away over time but cutting off interest in the short-term.

I recognize and respect the pleas coming from veteran players like Calvin here in this article and Sopo in several places recently. I understand (and largely agree with) the need to preserve a significant place in the larger NS world for Europeia, and agree that failure to stay engaged with that world means a Europeia that inevitably branches off and withers away to nothingness over time. I certainly don't want that. I also want to say, however, that I think we have to be very, very careful about the solutions we choose to address this issue. I think this region is better off for encouraging new citizens to take the reigns and reach for high leadership positions, and I would hate to see the bar to the ultimate office being lifted so high that it seems insurmountable to newer players. I'm not going to go beyond this relatively vague statement for now because there is a lot of discussion to come, but I simply offer this counter-warning to Calvin's warning here - if we go too far in the other direction, we don't risk withering away over time but cutting off interest in the short-term.
Hm but you seem to be buying into the point that Calvin is warning against though: that foreign affairs is hard, and incorporating it into our expectations for leaders makes it harder?

I think there are hard moments in FA. But no harder than when a Communications Minister approves a controversial article, or when a Culture Minister flubs a festival, or a R&D Minister doesn't do anything all term, or when an Interior Minister fudges the numbers.

Hm but you seem to be buying into the point that Calvin is warning against though: that foreign affairs is hard, and incorporating it into our expectations for leaders makes it harder?

I think there are hard moments in FA. But no harder than when a Communications Minister approves a controversial article, or when a Culture Minister flubs a festival, or a R&D Minister doesn't do anything all term, or when an Interior Minister fudges the numbers.
I actually don’t buy into the idea that FA is especially “hard,” but there seems to be an automatic assumption that all things being equal it is just as interesting to people as the domestic things, and I don’t necessarily think it is.

That wasn’t actually my point though - my concern is if you have to master both FA and the domestic side to be eligible for high service it means the only people who will end upas President will be the same group of people cycling through the Chief of State position. We might actually have an election, but it probably wouldn’t be a competitive one.

Again I’m not taking anything off the table but there has to be at least consideration when we are looking at restructuring that the structure of the Government isn’t going to solve the problem if people just don’t care about FA one way or the other. They aren’t going to start to care just so they can run for office, in my opinion. Sure, we can tweak the structure to make FA participation more desirable, but there absolutely MUST be attention given to how to increase FA participation attractiveness in general. Maybe it’s through greater communication (there’s not much right now!). Maybe it’s through an increased participation i festivals (show people there are other cool people out there we want to interact with!). Maybe it’s through more EBC attention on history (historical articles are a hit and give new players context for why some of this stuff matters).

It just seems there’s a lot of attention on structure and that’s not going to fix the problem, in my opinion.

When I came back to Euro, the first thing I did was sign up for FA. I love meeting and talking to new people and loved my posting in TRR and TWP as I got to meet people on both sides of the ideological coin. But, unlike the common or average newbie I had a lot more Foreign Policy experience.

It's not a hard job, but it is hard to find the right person and ensure their the right fit and it can be a lot of work especially when the department is short handed like it is. It's also incredibly thankless at times and often boring with not much to report on. There's no real pizzaz on a day to day basis and no way to really "make it your own" as you are representing the people of Europeia rather than just shitposting. The only way you're making a name for yourself in FA is if you negotiate a treaty or you mess up and in our instant gratification culture, that might be a considerable roadblock.

Personally, I thought I would be overwhelmed by FA Policy when I ran for CoS -- I wasn't.

Honestly, the FA part of things was one of the easier tasks. The really exhausting task, and HEM can confirm my exasperation on this, was the constant and recurring lack of staffing and councilor options. I chose Maowi (who would have led two ministries if confirmed) for CoWAA simply because there was no one else active in the department. And ultimately, we confirmed someone (JayDee) who had not ever been a member of WAA before. That is how lacking we were in willing participants at the time. I hope in some instances that situation is better, but seeing the ERN without a GA, I can't imagine it's much better.

So, I think Calvin's new article is probably a great way to approach this issue with FA, because the internal staffing and interest in FA is the greatest concern, not the actual ability of the Executive to manage FA policy. We need to shout that from the rooftops -- YOU CAN DO FOREIGN AFFAIRS! JUMP IN, RISE UP! :p

When I came back to Euro, the first thing I did was sign up for FA. I love meeting and talking to new people and loved my posting in TRR and TWP as I got to meet people on both sides of the ideological coin. But, unlike the common or average newbie I had a lot more Foreign Policy experience.

It's not a hard job, but it is hard to find the right person and ensure their the right fit and it can be a lot of work especially when the department is short handed like it is. It's also incredibly thankless at times and often boring with not much to report on. There's no real pizzaz on a day to day basis and no way to really "make it your own" as you are representing the people of Europeia rather than just shitposting. The only way you're making a name for yourself in FA is if you negotiate a treaty or you mess up and in our instant gratification culture, that might be a considerable roadblock.

TBF even treaty negotiation is largely fairly easy because we have all of the templates almost boilerplate and ready to go. The two things we've got working on were something (I'm not entirely sure of the name we're going to use when we propose it to the Senate) with NationStates Today that'd been in negotiation back and forth for quite some time, and with Kantrias coming back we're going to be putting forth a variation of Non-Aggression Pact but something closer to a Treaty of Friendship; but other than that most of the other formats we use are pretty much just retooling of existing things.

But, otherwise, yeah you're spot on. When Foreign Affairs is quiet things are largely going right. When it isn't, something is on fire. Diplomats and Ambassadors don't have much to do like they used to, but the Watch and Tipline stuff has been a useful way for Ambassadors and Diplomats to feel like they're able to report something without feeling like they're doing nothing. But, at the same time, as Councilor there's not a lot you can do because honestly most of the time by the time someone who isn't in a Region we're having issues with or where something's happening, we've already heard it from them or through other heads of State. In the age of Discord everything travels pretty much instantaneously.

One of the issues I have as Councilor is that even though I've tapped two people (specifically Lloen and Ist) to be Deputies there's really not much for them to do, and I don't think it's particularly conducive to give them nonsensical busywork just to make them feel important. I think if next term someone tapped Lloen to be Councilor/Minister/Whatever We Decide to Rename Everything Again he'd do a fine job because he has the head for it, just maybe not the innate understanding and historical perspective for our policy agenda; and similarly with Ist -- I specifically chose them because I believe they had the temperament for it

What do you think the effects of the current Coronavirus pandemic will be? Do you think we'll be able to survive with the external pressure?

The average citizen should get involved in one or more of the Councils: Foreign Affairs, World Assembly, External Engagement, and the Navy. Getting started on doing the work in these Councils is a great way to help out. Also, I think the pandemic effects are fairly limited in an online game like this. If anything, people may be online less if real life pressures make things difficult, but it's equally likely that people find they have more time for NationStates, as they spend more time at home.

Everything with the pandemic has, like Calvin said, made me both more and less likely to be on NS. On one hand it's a useful escape mechanism from real life, hut on the other as someone who has anxiety and depression sometimes it's hard not to turn on the news or go on Twitter and just feel overwhelmed which just makes me want to play real video games and ignore everyone or sleep. lol

The average citizen should get involved in one or more of the Councils: Foreign Affairs, World Assembly, External Engagement, and the Navy. Getting started on doing the work in these Councils is a great way to help out. Also, I think the pandemic effects are fairly limited in an online game like this. If anything, people may be online less if real life pressures make things difficult, but it's equally likely that people find they have more time for NationStates, as they spend more time at home.
I think It would be good to put this advice in an EBC broadcast to get the message out to a wider range of citizens.

I think It would be good to put this advice in an EBC broadcast to get the message out to a wider range of citizens.
Noted! While there's been some excellent articles written by private media on the topic in recent days (and some by the EBC as referenced in this article), I'd be happy to look in to this personally regarding how we can promote our foreign affairs work. Thanks for mentioning it!

Noted! While there's been some excellent articles written by private media on the topic in recent days (and some by the EBC as referenced in this article), I'd be happy to look in to this personally regarding how we can promote our foreign affairs work. Thanks for mentioning it!
Cool! Thanks!

I personally have found FA more interesting than internal ministries, but that probably ties in to my interest in Gameplay, which is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I think people are just told from the very start that FA is hard and that Gameplay is awful, etc, and they decide its just not worth it to find out.

With the ERN, for example, raiding is my favorite thing I have ever done in this game, at least at the start. It was more fun than running in any elections, arranging any festival, or recruiting any nations. Which is why I was pretty sad to have to step away from the GA role this term, but hopefully I can get back into FA sometime soon-ish. However, I feel like a lot of new people are afraid of how difficult raiding/defending can be sometimes, and they steer clear, missing out on a great part of the game. Or maybe they just don't see much incentive, which is something we would need to work on internally in the ERN.

I actually don’t buy into the idea that FA is especially “hard,” but there seems to be an automatic assumption that all things being equal it is just as interesting to people as the domestic things, and I don’t necessarily think it is.
Yeah, this. If other regions were doing things as interesting as Europeia, I would be an active citizen in those regions, not here. Being a leader in FA is fun and interesting because it involves how best to handle Europeia's actions on the world stage, setting foreign policy... it deals with the cool place, not those other places. Being an Ambassador on the other hand, is drastically not compelling: let's hang out with this other uninteresting region doing uninteresting things.

Certainly one of the reasons we have the same annoying characters dominating the gameplay landscape is because there isn't enough going on in their own regions and so they generate controversy in gameplay to keep themselves busy. We don't really have that issue--plenty to do here in Euro, so we don't have to go outside to find fulfillment. Which, to be honest, is not a problem at all.

One thing I do think we could just go ahead and give up on is that every region we have an embassy with needs an active ambassador reporting on their activities. The Watch is frankly much more effective for that, and the CoFA and deputies can manage active relationships with the handful of regions that actually have anything to manage. Between FA, WAA, and EE, we could really just have FA generalists who at any given time could be posting in the Tip Line, writing IVFs, distributing foreign updates, posting in the GP thread, etc.

Back